Masters Running

Hangover Classic RR (Read 182 times)

coastwalker

My favorite niece, who returned to running earlier this year, and I decided to both do this New Year's Day race, since she would be visiting over the holidays. I had never done the race before, so it would be a new experience for both of us. We got about 4-5 inches of new snow on New Year's Eve day. New Year's Day came in a little chilly and a bit breezy, with the temp up to 5 by the 11:45 start time, wind chills at -16. The rest of the guests at our house tried to get us to just go pick up our shirts and come back home, or skip the race entirely. However DN and I agreed that doing the race was the only right decision. The race was in Salisbury, MA, just south of the New Hampshire border. The part of Salisbury where the race was held is about a half-mile wide barrier beach, with the Atlantic Ocean (technically the Gulf of Maine) on one side, and a broad expanse of salt marsh on the other. The wind was roaring across the marsh, creating new drifts on the freshly-plowed roads. We didn't know where the start was, but saw a crowd of people in tights on the road, and joined them at the back. But then the organizers had us move forward about 20 feet and then turn around - all of a sudden, we were near the front of the field! While we waited for the gun, the guy in shorts next to me said that shorts were probably not the best choice for the race - stating the obvious! We all agreed that the guy in a gorilla costume was probably the warmest one there. The gun went off, and we all tried to get our footing in the loose snow at the start. After a few turns, we were on more of a main road where the traffic had packed the snow better, but also where the wind was at full force. Even with a fleece hat on, the wind-driven cold made my head hurt - yowser! The footing on the main road was decent, but when we got onto the snow-covered side roads, it was an effort to just keep moving forward: Because pushing off with your trailing foot is such an integral part of racewalking, it is best done on dry surfaces, and is challenging on loose, slick surfaces. It was tough keeping up with the runners and, being that I didn't see any other walkers, I wondered if this might be the first race in which I finished DAL. I finally rounded the last few turns, back on the snow-covered roads, and saw the finish up ahead. DN, who had run the race and finished, was waiting for me about 100 yards out. I thought she was heading back to the warmth of the car, but instead she jogged with me as I made a vain attempt at a sprint to the finish. That was very sweet of her - now you know one of the reasons she is my favorite niece. My time was 34:13, making this my slowest 5K since I started racewalking about 5 years ago. But I still had a great time, being with DN, and both of us refusing to be beaten by Mother Nature. It was a great way to start the New Year! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Nice job Jay!! I was wishing I knew what you looked like so I could find you in the crowd!! Where you #312? I was #44 and ran the first four miles with a couple of guys from my running group - we thought the gorilla costume person was probably the warmest body there as well!! I ran the 10k in 59:02 but my Garmin had it at 6.01 miles - very glad I braved the weather as well!!

denise

Henrun

Jay, great report and that was an excellent time for those conditions. (DAL?). We ran it last year and it started raining after we finished the 5K and the 10K was in progress (one of the reasons I decided to do the 5K). This year I'm sorry we missed a New Year's Day race but, had we entered, we probably would have taken your guests' advice (get the Tshirts and run-home).
          Yep, you and niece made the right decision. Sounds like a fun time. Congrats!
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Renee the dog

Whoo hoo! That's the spirit. I'm so glad that neither you nor your niece let mother nature stop you from your plan! We ran on the beach here in Wildwood, NJ on New Year's Day and the wind cut through my gloves and gave me bloody knuckles. I can't even imagine what you guys were feeling that much further north. Well, 'cept for the gorilla suit guy. Wink

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

coastwalker

I was wishing I knew what you looked like so I could find you in the crowd!! Where you #312?
              Yep, that was me, Denise. I wish I had known you were going to be there so I could have at least said "hello!" I assume you also decided to skip the optional ocean plunge after the race? Those who plunged got a mug, but no mug is worth that much!! I left all matter of timing devices at home (which I didn't realize until we were parking the car), so I have no idea if the 5K course was accurate. I saw a 1-mile marker, but nothing after that. You did well in the 10K, especially given the slippery conditions and the notable wind gusts. Henry, DAL is Dead A$$ Last Big grin Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Yep, that was me, Denise. I wish I had known you were going to be there so I could have at least said "hello!" I assume you also decided to skip the optional ocean plunge after the race? Those who plunged got a mug, but no mug is worth that much!!
                so cool - i thought that might be you when i saw you racewalking by me - i was looking for a strong, speedy walker as the 5kers came by - you looked great!! i DEFINITELY skipped the plunge but one of the guys i ran with went in -- his wife had a big towel waiting for him and we grabbed all his stuff as he ran into the bar after to change........i'd be more afraid of the bone chilling cold afterward and not being able to warm up than anything!! we'll have to make sure we meet up at a local spring race!!

denise