Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 8.27.14 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Those shoes look sproinky all by themselves, Stumpy. If you run today, it could be even more drippy than yesterday.

Smelling ozone from lightning is a little too close while on a run, Slo. Good decision to head back in.

BC, I also feel faster on my workouts in the dark, but it is just a delusion. Good TM work.

Tet, I also noticed that the painted lines on roads are smoother that pavement, especially when there is just a bit of moisture our there, and the painted surfaces are more slick 'n slippery.

Nice running with the hill gang, Daave.

It's good to know that we always have Ribs to turn to for running fashion advice...

Thanks for the headset saga and advice, Twocat. The only time i wear a headset is in the office, when I want to listen to a meeting replay or something equally as exciting without having anyone else share the fun. Nice tank-emptying 14-miler!

Great shot of the Toms!!

We're among those who like Brussels Sprouts. Well-cooked (i.e., sauteed in olive oil with onions), they can be tender and delicious.

Thanks Roch - I had forgotten about the Ribs Fines-Avoidance Techniques. Good job of out-riding the bugs yesterday.

You sure do listen to some interesting stuff on your runs, Leslie! No wonder you had to stop for laugh breaks.

Aamos, KD Mason is becoming a better writer, but he still has a way to go before he'll hit the NY Times Best Seller roster. 74 degrees felt like Fall? I guess it's all relative...

Great running and cross-training yesterday, Jlynne!

Good 'meal-prep,' TW. Nice workout yesterday too.

How much sympathy is enough, BTY?    Nice consistent run yesterday.

Nice 17-mi, lightning-ducking run, WC. Congrats to your DD for getting the bug, following your lead.

I feel so way behind for having old-fashioned, battery-less shifters on my bike. Makes me think of what it was like when power steering was introduced. Good luck with the hi-tech shifters, Starr!

I'm with you regarding further med tests, Steve; I don't favor 'exploratories' if there isn't darned good reason to do them. So, you showed up early for interview #2, and the guy was already gone? That tells you something...

C-R, congrats to DS for his X-C PR! For you, nice job of running and reffing.

I'm still frustrated over Monday's waste of time at the courthouse because it could have so easily have been avoided. It has to do with the property-owner's stubbornness, rather than attorneys trying to justify their existence or anything like that.

We had a very productive conservation commission meeting last night, but I didn't get home till 11. So when I woke at 4, I just fed the cat and went back to dream a little dream.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Jay - thank you again for the excellent recap.

Last night's weight training class once again did some great work on my hind quarters, so my $3 was well spent. 

7 slow and gentle miles in the humidity.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning all - so sorry I have been missing in action here lately, but I had a glorious 6 days at the camper in Maine!!  Not that that's really an excuse - I do bring my laptop there and in fact it is still there as I FORGOT to bring it home yesterday!!    Oh well!!

My Olympic Tri on Sunday was great - I really love the distance and wish I had put more time into the training and signed up for a few more races this summer!!   The water temp was about 10degrees warmer than last year which was great!!   I dont remember exact times, but overall I was about 7 minutes faster than last year at the same race and I felt great!!  My son Nicholas was there cheering me on at every point and took lots of pictures -- so excited to have him on our Reach the Beach team!!

Started fall track last night -- although it is very much still summer and I am loving every minute of it!!  I am probably crazy, but I love track and am looking forward to our Thursday night session called Montessori which will focus more on functional strength for runners!!

Jay - thanks for the ketchup -- I am not even going to pretend to try to add the relish today!! 

Have a wonderful Wednesday my friends!!

denise

{{{{ BTY's hickey }}}}}

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Temps are down. Humidity is down. Motivation is down.

I went out to run but stopped after 2 miles.  Feeling kind of tired today.

Starr, congrats to MrStarr.  Slo, nice 100 mile bike ride.  wild, good job for your daughter starting running and signing up for a 5K. steve, I'm glad to hear the doctor didn't find any cancer.  I don't know what to say about the guy not showing for your second interview.  C-R, congrats to your son on his PR in his XC race.

Nice long runs for wild and Twocat.

This morning, it was in the low 60s and almost calm.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:08 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

Temps are down here too and it was dark at 5am .

Today was speed work for me at the track. My legs were very heavy and did not want to move. Too much biking and gym diva hour last night are the culprits, I am sure. Anyway, 7x800m at my lowest speed range. When I thought I did not have it me today for a speedier time, my inspiration showed up and I ran my last 800 at lot faster. 7 miles total.

Take care folks and smile to strangers Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Holly, eat the Brussels sprouts or Mexico is off.  I can take just so much.

The Saint goes into work early on Wednesdays, so she gets up early and goes out on her own to run.  I ran with a buddy of mine from the Club on our park course, 6.6 miles.

Today is the deadline for my project for the home building company so I am buried in work. Tomorrow things ease up a bit.   Spareribs

Starr, what kind of bike do you have, anyway? I thought the electric shifting was only on the highest of the high-end models. Super if that's what you have!

Temps are down. Humidity is down. Motivation was UP! Ran with a friend and finally did our entire favorite hilly 8-mile loop without bonking for the first time this year. Seems like every other time I've gone that way we were running with someone who pulled the pace up, or it was H&H, or some other factor where I had to stop and walk or barely manage to prevent a RTYP situation. Felt good to do this one in better conditions with about a 10-flat average.

So now I'm in the best running condition of the year but will be taking about a 3-week layoff to go on vacation next week. Make sure you keep it up in my absence!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

SteveP

Take care folks and take candy from strangers Smile

FIFY

SteveP

Thanks for the great recap, Jay.  I salute you on going back to bed for more sleep (always my preferred option ).

Somebody has candy??

I have to do 30 min of hill work in the middle of an 8-mile run today, so I decided to sleep in and run the logging road (about .30 of a mile) down to the McKay Tract after work.  My knees are bothering me a bit due to the increased mileage, so I'd prefer to stay off the pavement as much as possible.

Got in about 30 min of core/ST last night.  No noticeable soreness today, so I probably could've pushed things a bit more.

That's about it.  Keep on doing your thang, folks ~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...Heat Index bumping 100 again...............Ya gotta Love It.....

=============

22mHHRCW

and

22mprnb

deo

..............probably got too wordy with putting that ''and'' in the recap

......................grg...........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

WTG Deez!!!  you rock!

Early morning humidity, but felt ok.  5.2 miles.  Weird that it is dark out at 6 am, but too friggin hot at night to run (87F).  Something does not compute.

I've also noticed that you feel faster in the dark, but aren't.  It's a nice illusion though.  Kind of like thinking you look pretty attractive in dim lighting too....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Hopelessly behind here, but did skim Jay's recap today and yesterday. Got back at midnight last night from Dallas... whirlwind trip for strategy meeting with our consultants. Holy carp it's hot there. I would just wilt if I lived there.... I was going to run Tuesday morning but didn't set the right "day" for my phone alarm and snoozed till 7 a.m. I've had more rest days his month than the entire year prior to August. Might not make my 200 mile goal for August. I realize there are worse things that could happen, right? Still, it's a goal I like to meet.

More rain here. Enough already. Will try for 5 easy miles later today.

Adorable picture of the Toms.

C-R

I know I am faster in the dark and no one can see me to say otherwise. 

I was shamed into finally doing a workout instead of just running. So did a 10x hill repeat at max effort on the only hill in town. It's 1/8 mile so a good distance. It was hot and a good challenge. Made me feel better after I felt worse. Ya know.

Look at jay breaking out the golden oldies lyrics. Sorry about the court mess.

WTG Deez

Psst Holly - don't do the brussels sprouts. Those things can kill ye.

Good to see your runs are getting longer Ribs. Recovery seems to be progressing well.

Enjoy that vacation Roch.

Those un-motivated legs will come along soon enough. Just need a short race or two.

Careful with those hematoma's. You don't want to go breaking something off and have a floater. Just saying,

No soccer tonight so I thought I would join our club run with DS and get a few recovery miles at dusk. Assuming work co-operates.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/