Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 7.7.14 (Read 37 times)

mrrun

Ribs "Was thinking this weekend of Amy's performances lately.  Here in the Dallas area we have no women 60 or over who come anywhere near 7 minutes a mile. Consider your own club or city. Do you have anyone like her in that age group?"

Back from being very much under the weather to sticking my head up intermittently....

Ribs, of course our most famous local 'fast' runner is Joanie, but she's not 60 yet - just you wait.

However, Jan Holmquist who just turned 70 runs 7:06 in her last 5K and 7:30 in a 5 miler.  I'm not sure what greater distances she does, but at those she's ranked nationally.  And then there's Carrie Parsi, who at 75, ran an 8:54 for a 10K in April.  She was also awesome in Mt Washington, but I didn't check the time.  We have some running 8's, but Aamos is right up there at the top!

2 other comments - then back to couch potato life: hope your son's surgery can be scheduled quickly and RI used to celebrate VJ Day - the first monday in august.  the sidelines just told me that Canada has a Civic Holiday the first Monday in August

marj

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Weekend report - a bit of a washout, actually.

I took Saturday off to prepare for riding a tough 40k time trial a ways from here and then, afterward, riding about 100km home with a big honkin' hill in the way.

Unfortunately, 30k into the TT, my rear tire blew in an inoperable sort of way and there I was, stranded in the Middle of No-freaking-where with nothing but me and a useless time-trial bike.  (Left the phone at the start line, it being heavy and all, you know.  And water?  Pfft.  Why waste weight on water when you'll only be racing an hour or so?).  I knew that one of the other riders would let the marshals know I was out and started walking the 10k back toward the start so I'd have something to do while I waited.

And, lo!  Alongside comes a car with old friends from Victoria in it, and all of a sudden, I was being chauffeured back to the race headquarters!

So, a disappointing race, and no epic ride home to follow it, but these things happen, I suppose, and it was lovely to have such a quick lift arrive like magic.

But, jeez, you'd think that with a low-volume weekend like that, getting out of bed for a swim this morning would have been easier.

I've started putting a few rolled up pairs of socks by my pillow to throw at the cat when she sings the Song for the Greeting of the Dawn at 0500.  She isn't getting the message and wants to share her morning joy so much that she's learned how to work my bedroom doorknob by rattling it loudly until the door gives up and lets her back in.

Stoopid cat.

Marathon Maniac #957

Fletch - nice PR!  And, if the course is certified, believe that over your gps.

MS - NOT a stooped cat.  My cat does the same thing, but I think it is just to get us out of bed so he can take it over....

I am leaping for joy because he didn't have to pull the tooth!  A new post, build-up, and temporary crown and I no longer look like a hockey player!  Amazing, because the tooth was literally broken off at the gum line.  Whew!  And I am not even going to complain about the $900 it will cost.  Some things are just worth it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

lamerunner

Good evening. Humid/showery again! We eeked out a decent weekend despite the effects of  Arthur.  Lots of rain Friday; lots of wind Saturday.  I ran about  8 humid and showery miles  on the rail trail Friday.  DH and DS had gone north to the lake and I guess DS got in a water ski before the rain.  Saturday it was partly cloudy but cool and very windy at the lake.  Good running weather though. I did about 9 mostly hilly miles on a dirt road and some  trails.  DS very disappointed he could not ski, just too windy. It got more calm and clear toward evening; we got in a boat ride, had a big family dinner and watched some local fireworks. Yesterday I escaped the family and did a long hike in the northern Presidentials. I bagged the ridge walk I had planned because the higher summit forecast said 50-70 mph wind; instead, I took a long but scenic route up to a col where I could assess the conditions, and I decided to continue to Mt Jefferson.  Winds high at the col but not that bad otherwise, and the diminished as the day wore on.   13-14 miles of hiking with much on rocky terrain, and I got in a quick visit with DD.   I was tired today, tried to go swim but the pool was crowded and the lap session short  so I bagged it.

Happy running to all!

evanflein

5.6 easy miles late this afternoon. Legs felt pretty good after yesterday's 20 miler, so that's a good sign. Just a little tired but nothing hurts.

SteveP

Amy, some temptations are easier to resist than others. retrieving fallen ones would seem harmless.

Anyway, I doubt I'll get another chance to get in here before I leave, so you all behave yourselves while I'm gone.

I'll keep a list of whomever acts up for you Fatozzig.

Jlynne!!!!! It's very good to read...???... See..??... The dog and I have missed you.

TwoCat...The movie has Batman in it.It is on my..um..rescue like a "poor abandoned, homeless mago under the cover of darkness while no one is looking" list.

Remi, Remi, Remi.....what are we gonna do with you?

Pretty zippy there Fletch.

Sorry to hear about the blowout MS. I had a rear gear cluster break during a tri before. There was much poetic profanity involved.

Holy Happy Holly Hockey Tooth Halting.

Sounds nice Lame.

DW called while I was headed to a job site. The Dr.s' office called her regarding my visit last week. Since my iron is even lower, their office set up an appointment for me near the end of August with an oncologist. If DW were a dude, I would have said, "Dude, it's a month and a half out". If it were serious, the call would have been, "Drop everything and get your tail in there now.". I'm only guessing, however, this is more of a WTF fishing trip. Though I can always stress later, I suspect this will not be as much fun as the colonoscopy.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

DW called while I was headed to a job site. The Dr.s' office called her regarding my visit last week. Since my iron is even lower, their office set up an appointment for me near the end of August with an oncologist.

Steve - while I agree that it sounds more like a fishing trip, it would drive me crazy to have to wait that long.  {{{hugs}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Dad knows all about crazy, Holly

Sniffing Butts, Tag

Dave59

Dad knows all about crazy, Holly

Bring him some nice big sticks to make him happy.