Masters Running

Thursday 10/30 runs and such (Read 579 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Enke, nice 12-miler! I think the problem I have with progression runs is starting too fast, so I have little room to speed up. Byll, awesome tempo run. Glad to hear it's finally cooling off there. TimBo, I hope you have fun meeting Kelly. She sounds like a fun new friend. Hope we didn't embarrass you too much with the craigslist thread that she read! Peter, hope your legs feel better soon. One of the reasons I'm skeered to consider a marathon is all the stories of people limping around for days afterwards, and doing stairs backwards. Not to mention all the folks who get injured during the training phase. Doug, your trail description sounded lovely! I'd love to see a picture. DickyG, a day without your jokes is like a day without sunshine! Teresa, do you ever take a turn pushing your friend's baby stroller? Since she's the beginner and you're the seasoned runner? Just askin... Wink Holly - so you've decided on Seattle? Hmmm... sounds like the place to be next June. My DD is usually busy with science camp and band camp in June, but I could probably talk DH into chauffering her around for a weekend. (He's off in Australia and New Zealand right now on a month-long trip, so he owes me...) It's on the warm side here today, 72 degrees and sunny. I wanted to do a tempo run, and slowed it down a bit to compensate for the heat. Absolutely gorgeous day, and I ran on a gorgeous trail. Overall, 5.6 miles at an avg 9:54 pace, with miles 2-4 at 9:00, 9:45, 9:32.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Carolyn, when you have cold weather, ours is warm, and vice versa! It was 32 and windy when I ran this morning; 42 and windy when I went for my second run this afternoon. Brr! LOL, it's funny you mentioned the stroller, because I was considering that today! I decided not to offer, for two reasons: I'm so uncoordinated that I would probably trip and lose the stroller, plus I don't want my friend NOT to run if I'm not available if she's not used to pushing it! How are those for excuses? Yikes, DS16 came home this afternoon with the middle two-thirds of his head shaved - part of an XC team-building effort, I guess. I told him he might look like that when he's 50! It makes him look like an old man. He's going to keep it this way through the state meet on Saturday, and then get a buzz cut. I'm glad we've already taken our Christmas photo!!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

When I woke up this morning, first thought I had was "I sure hope Holly picks Seattle!"
        6/27 HollyS - Rock 'n' Roll Seattle Marathon, Seattle, WA Smile
        whoppee, get the tammy hot tub, pink door, and all the festivities ready for a special guest of honor. uhmm, ... Holly - are you going to run too? ps - don’t get duped into staying with the goddesses. They stay up all night imbibing, chatting, etc. and almost missed the belly . . . . <>mari/evan/sounder)>>> PM me for better idea. (in the meantime, don’t talk to MarathonTim) ps to ilene - no particular reason but are there best times categories for most PR’s in the same month, . . . or back-to-back-to-back PR’s? Big grin <>6/27 wildchild - Rock'n'Roll Seattle Marathon)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

7.02 miles easy - 1:00:34 (8:37) - Avg HR 123 Max HR 133 - Partly cloudy, 42 degrees and very windy. Brrrrrrrrr that wind was cold out there... Shocked I sure hope we don't have wind like that on Sunday.

Top 'O the World!

Wasn't sure if it was too "basic" Big grin
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            munchkn883

5 miles for me today. First time walking since last week. Will do better next week...well, that is if I'm not hugging and kissing my grandkids!
                7.02 miles easy - 1:00:34 (8:37) - Avg HR 123 Max HR 133 - Partly cloudy, 42 degrees and very windy. Brrrrrrrrr that wind was cold out there... Shocked I sure hope we don't have wind like that on Sunday.
                O carp, now you're making think I should pack the tights that I unpacked when you told me it's going to be like Portland! Well, DH's docs have now decided that yes, indeed, he really needs to have an ICD [that's short for implantable cardioverter-defibrillator, which is a small battery-powered electrical impulse generator which is implanted in patients who are at risk of sudden cardiac death due to ventricular fibrillation.] In the meantime, they said go ahead to NYC (actually, the direct quote was: "I've never had a patient die in the time between prescribing an ICD and its implant.") So we're heading out--appointments are set for next week, and there's nothing to do until then, so might as well have fun and enjoy one last trip without the doctor's note-dealing with TSA people we'll have to do from now on (ICDs can't go through the security gate, so DH will have to be hand-wanded. Somehow that sounds way better than it is, doesn't it?) BTW, if any of y'all are checking results, I'm just planning to have fun at this one, so don't be worried that I had a bad day or anything if my time is slower than usual. (Of course, if the Yankee fans rip my Red Sox gear off me, I may have an even longer day than I'm imagining. ) hally has us eating at a restaurant Saturday that is going to put 5 lbs on me, at least, so there's that to contend with as well. Surprised See some of you soon! grins, A
                Masters 2000 miles
                  O carp, now you're making think I should pack the tights that I unpacked when you told me it's going to be like Portland!
                  Amy when I said it's going to be like Portland I meant like it was on the day of the Maine Marathon, not like today...it's freaking 10 degrees colder and the strong winds bite right into you. Oh and by the way, I already packed my runing tights and long sleeve dri-fit shirt just in case. better safe than sorry. See ya soon. Big grin
                  evanflein

Hmmm, I'm packing my short Boston marathon shorts... they're the best things I have with a zipper pocket and will go with the ugly ING shirt I'm supposed to wear.

Renee the dog

Got my 7 mi in tonight with Renee. Now it's a sprint over to the dog-sitter's place. BEST OF LUCK everyone racing this weekend! I'll be thinking of you!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Hmmm Seattle you say...end of June...hmmm...I might just have to join in too...can't let Tet have all the fun...
                        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                        TammyinGP

yay Gordon! Big grin

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

gordon - welcome to the Seattle double - SM`n`RnR. Goin` all the way? aamos and maybe some others might like some local company evanika - just put your name above it, `runn` before it and an outline map around it.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Yes!!!!!!!!! Gordon is going to be there too? yeeepieeeeeeeeee. Those who are flying, can you get there on Thursday so we can start with the party on Thursday and be able to run like real athletes by Saturday? After all the Pink Dooring, hot tubbing and drinking we may need a day to rest before we run. Carolyn, please come to Seattle. It would be so great to have you there!!!! twocats....before you die...remember them books...

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Gordon coming too? This is shaping up to be a greta party... um, race! Mariposai, we'll probably have to show up Friday, but we'll see. It's still several months away. Tet, I don't know that I'll write on my shirt... but this year's Equinox had really awful bright green shirts, long sleeved... so I might run in that for awhile. Don't care if I toss that one and someone might really enjoy having that shirt... I didn't get your package in the mail, sorry. I'll do it when I get back. The name on the shirt thing... I don't usually run crowded races, and I prefer quiet trails so having people yell out my name doesn't really thrill me that much... I do get a kick out of them yelling "Go Maniac!" when I wear the singlet, but sometimes they do it when I'm about spent and want to walk... makes me feel weird. Am I just being too self-conscious? (probably, nothing new there) Oh well. I'll take a marker with me and see what happens.... Heading to the airport in an hour, see you all on the other side!