Masters Running

Saturday 7/27 Daily (Read 35 times)

Tramps

Good luck to our racers!

07/27 -8/2 Ileneforward – GAMC

07/28 Coastwalker - York Days 5K, York, ME

Humidity’s back but the temps were still moderate this morning for a nice 16-miler.  It’ll be a day in the yard with the chainsaw today.

Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

...mornin' tramps//////////

...I don't think

''Swim til You Puke'' is ever going to catch on as a Training Mantra

but

that's how my morning started,,,,,,,,,,,it was one of the Regular Members of the Saturday Freaks Club

as I

scrambled out of the pool

I did admire how Enthuiastically he was doing it,

and

estimated I could take my time getting dressed

==========

Swimmus Interruptus-

...........20min poolrun.........no belt

..........good running guys..................Run til you Get A Mild Abdominal Hiccup.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Maniac 505

C-R  sorry to hear about DS.  I understand that is very painful and all they can really do is give it time.

Mike E:  When you get to the Gray's Anatomy episode where the Ferry boat crashes (I think it is kind of the episode where they kind of jump the shark)  I was there,  they were filming on my boat, and you have been aboard a sister ship of the one filmed.

and no boats were hurt in the filming of that episode.

Working nights.  off to bed now.  hope to get in a couple miles when I wake up.

Dave

SteveP

Darn kids C-R..Poor guy.

...I don't think

''Swim til You Puke'' is ever going to catch on as a Training Mantra

but

that's how my morning started,,,,,,,,,,,it was one of the Regular Members of the Saturday Freaks Club

as I

scrambled out of the pool

I did admire how Enthuiastically he was doing it,

Good ab workout.

I still don't know the difference between a "boat" and a "ship".

Tag and I showed up for a local 5K. I'd love for it to get larger. Though 1st 50 and over AG is nice...I was the only one and that makes it the same as last 50 and over AG.  One young runner brought a piglet she carried in a cloth bag. It squealed to beat the band every time it was taken out. Tag wants one. I keep reminding him he wanted a puppy until Honey came around.

SteveP

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Steve--I think it's you can carry boats on a ship.

3.25 miles this morning with a couple of laps up and down a dirt road at the Maine camp.  Felt a little better than my run on Thursday.  That ended up with an unpleasant shower (reference TW's post) and an ill advised trip to work for a very unproductive half day at the office.  Home at lunch and took a 3 hour nap.  Some sort of bug, I guess.

Nice long run Tramps.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

If Skip were here he would tell you the difference. A submarine is a boat, although I have no idea why. Dive's ferry is also a boat.

5 miles this morning at 76 degrees and a light wind, which is ideal for us here.  Gave me 40+ for the week.  Spareribs

SteveP

I guess I don't know ship

SteveP

Dave59

3.5 miles this morning, back home in Michigan.  I am very tired from vacation.  I am going to ask my boss to not let me take any more time off. Roll eyes  It takes nearly 19 hours of drive time (not counting rest stops) to get from here to Tallahassee.  And then of course, what goes down must come up.

We used a friend's house in the mountains of Townsend, TN as our overnight stopping place.  On the way down, we just stayed 1 night and then continued to Tallahassee.  It was good to see my daughter, grankid, the fiancé, and his family.  The wedding is looking like it will be November 2nd (and I hope we fly down that time!).  We were there 3 nights and I was never allowed to be more than 3 feet away from Annabelle.  We brought an air mattress which I slept on in her room.  When we drove places I had to sit in back with her.  At restaurants I had to sit next to her.  And so forth and so on.  It was a very tough goodbye on Wednesday morning.

Then back to Townsend for 2 nights before coming home yesterday.  We came back a day earlier than planned but we were both wiped out.  In Tennessee, at the house we were at there were 10 other people.  All missionaries to Japan that we support and then some of their extended families.  2 of them are very good friends of ours and 3 of them I hadn't met in person yet so it was nice to get to know them,  It was just one of those fortunate coincidences that all of them were in the US and available at the same time to all meet.  Soon, they'll all be back in the Tokyo area.

I didn't do any running or hiking or anything much.  Mostly sitting, driving, eating, swimming, and talking.  About an hour in the pool on Thursday was all the physical activity for me, (and that was mostly shooting water guns at each other.)

I have a friend running 50 miles in Oregon today.  Another friend doing the IM at Lake Placid tomorrow.  But for me, it was "day 1" of trying to get back into some consistent work-outs.  I saw this on Facebook today.  Very appropriate for me:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1013180_662485583781501_1701098622_n.png

C-R

We air force guys called everything a plane except for helicopters. Seemed simpler.

Day 2 of collarbone patrol. He's doing great but bored. I was supposed to run a local marathon today but woke with a fever and really bad headache and sore throat. Quite odd really. So I bagged the marathon and stayed home with the kiddos. Ran 12 on the TM.

MikeE - it will all work out in its own time.

Tom - your pool is an interesting place. Never a dull moment.

Grey's Anatomy jumped the shark kind of like ER when they had what we called the "rubber baby" episode. They actually used a prop baby that looked like a rubber doll. Don't recall much else about the episode but that was the last time DW and I watched. Oh well more chances to watch Suits or The Bridge.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

C-R, sorry to hear about your son.  I hope he heals quickly.  Steve, nice 5K with Tag.  Congrats on the AG win.  You sure showed all those couchpotatos.   Dave, it sounds like a good, but exhausting trip.

Nice long runs for wild and C-R.

This morning, it was in the low to mid 60s and there was a light wind.  I got in 8 miles at a 10:44 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

Good Saturday my running friends. I hope you are basking in the sun and having some lemonade. Gorgeous weather in posieland  today!!!

Spareribs, how are you keeping  yourself out of travel while the Saint is away? Have you read any interesting books lately? I am looking for suggestions.

Dave, it is Ok to start over and over again!  How is Annabelle doing?

Tramps, what are you doing with the chainsaw?

Tselbs, good 8 miler for you today!

The Easy Pacer woke me up at 5am to go for a run together. This was his first run post marathon. We did the clinic loop and when we returned  I went back out for another 7 easy (10:30) pace, which felt much, much harder. 11 miles total for the day. I think all the XT I am doing is really eating up all the energy from my legs, but I am not complaining, I am starting to see results and I like what I see.

After  a fantastic cool down minutes  under my grape arbor enjoying the flowers, butterflies and hummingbirds I proceeded to work for about 2 hours in the rock garden. This project has taken forever and finally I am coming closer to it's culmination. I think another weekend should do it. DG, I thought of you this morning as I was moving rocks. Good luck with your weekend's project.

I hope Enkephalin is having fun with her weekend off.

Salmon and grilled veggies for dinner tonight.

Is it too early to have brunch an drink a margarita?

Big grin

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Maniac 505

RE:

ship VS boat,  there are a lot of definitions, some more technical then others, but they probably all have exceptions. Stumpy and Ribs alluded to a couple of simple ones.

A ship can carry a boat.  a boat can't carry a ship.

Anything over 150' is a ship unless it is a Tug, Ferry, or Submarine.  (I've worked on a 200' ocean going tug that firmly connected to a 700' barge (Integrated Tug Barge).   From 10 feet away no one would guess they could be taken apart.  by the above definition, a boat)

A ship has a continuous main deck the length of the vessel.  by that definition my 460' ferry Wenatchee is a ship.

Boats are made for rivers, lakes and near shore operations.  Ships are made to cross oceans.  by that definition my 460' ferry is a boat.

There are many other definitions, that is enough for now.

Bottom line.  If it is loaded with shipping containers, or it is clearly a deep draft oil tanker it is a Ship,  if it is moved with oars or an outboard it is a boat.  if it is something in between and you are not sure call it what you wish, no one will care.  Wink

Mike E

MM #5615

Boy...I sure am glad you cleared that up, Dive...

Well, since I didn't run, today...and it's raining, so I can't do the chores DW had for me to do...I spent most of my day putting together my training plan for Rocket City.  Now I have that Rocket Man song by Elton John stuck in my head...and you know what?  Mars really ain't the kind of place to raise your kids....

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

divechief what if I call it a car?  Big grin

evanflein I would love to have berries like that nearby.  Word is there are raspberry bushes near my former physical therapist's house.  Your post has me thinking I should go see if the rumor is right.  I hope you pulled in a good haul!

Mike E uh, maybe you should try bowling again.  It seems like it might be a lot safer than TV.

dg. and then maybe you could come over here and clean out the storage area of my basement.  Anything that has not moved in 7+ years is fair game!  Wink  Why, oh, why is it that nobody takes me up on these offers?

Spareribs congratulations on the 40+ for the week.

enkephalin I hope you managed to find a bunch of things with which to keep entertained.  If you happen to cook a few salmons, maybe vacuum seal them, get some dry ice, pack them up and see if UPS will let you next day mail them to CT?  Just a thought.

tomwhite sounds like a sensible call on the take your time getting dressed front.

SteveP you do not need to beat everybody, just those that show up!

Dave59 or just stay giving up!  That would work just as well.  Big grin

C-R in time the collarbone will heal and he will have a good story to regal his friends with in the years to come.

tselbs congratulations on the 8 miler.

Mariposai as to when you can drink a margarita I think it depends on the flavor.  Now, strawberries for breakfast are just fine so you should feel free to drink a strawberry margarita from say whenever you get up to about 11.  Then, it is lunch so . . . Clown

Today was kooky distance race #5 in the local series:  4.68 miles.  If my Garmin is about right, this was my fastest time for this race since I turned 50.  That would be a nice surprise if it holds up!  It would also say that speed work actually helps.  That is too bad since I would much prefer that eating ice cream would do as well.  After my race I started on some 5 grain bread.  It is done and tastes great!  While that was rising I worked on my computer code.  Sad  Yes, I am one fun dude on weekends.  Dead  At least it appears my code is finally working so that is something at least.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Grief!

I just spent 25 minutes typing out a really long post, and somehow lost it with the click of a wrong button.

Drat!

(sigh)

Never mind.

6 miles for me this morning on the TM.  Afterward we spent the day helping friends who recently married move two houses into their new one.  Many hands made the work light, and the company of friends made the chore very pleasant.  Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."