Masters Running

Pneumonia Now...HM on the 10th (Read 360 times)

Wicked stuff, this. I have a HM on the 10th; this week, during which I was going to put in some serious tempo work, is not only shot, but also leaving me in the red (Don't have my strength back and I'm still coughing....) I should be running again tomorrow. I was going to just take it easy next week, like a taper. But I really feel that I should put in some tempo work, early in the week. As much as I'd like to do a 1:30, I think that a 7:40 m/m BQ AG pace is more realistic. Sorry....inevitable bit of background: I'm 41. Post 40 5k PR: 19:36; 10k PR 42:11 (this was in a tri after an especially hilly 30 mile bike ride), and a 15:25 for a 2.5 miler. Lifetime PRs are a 4:42 mile, sub-17:00 XC 3 mile, 36:17 10k. I was 17 and then smoked for about 20 years. Cool! I recently bumped my miles to 40/week, after doing at least 20/week +100-150 miles biking for most of 06-07. I finally kicked the biking habit (though wearing the patch was tough Wink), and am aiming for a BQ@ Vermont City in May. So..what's up? And please, no Macmillan...just a plan for the next week. Walt.
      Um, you have pneumonia and you're contemplating a HM a week from now? My two cents is to skip it entirely and find anther half marathon another month from now when you are completely well. Pneumonia isn't anything to mess with. If you're aiming for a BQ in May, then the HM is simply a measure of your fitness and not your goal race. It's pointless in my mind for you to run a HM next weekend when you won't be fit. I hope you finally kick it soon.
        Um, you have pneumonia and you're contemplating a HM a week from now?
        Heh......it is a week and two days..... <>nervous smile, takes shoes off, puts the kettle back on, gets back on couch, tries not to feel stupid.......> ...checks runreg.com later....
          after I posted, I wondered if I sounded too harsh. Glad you weren't offended. Get well, then race, okay? I can certainly understand being anxious to get out there and test the waters (sounds familiar) especially if your training was going well before you got sick. But, you've got plenty of time to jump back into it and get ready for that BQ. Smile
            Walt, I am in the same boat as you, not planning a HM next week but am trying to shake pneumonia. Finished my antibiotics on Sunday, have been at work all week but have only run once this week. I was told to ease back into things because you have to give your body the ability to recover. Training for a half and trying to cram in some tempo runs is going to put a lot of stress on you and your immune system. I am thinking you have bigger things ahead than this one race. Food for thought as I step off my soap box.
            bap

Has the pneumonia been diagnosed by a doctor. Is it bacterial or viral? If it really is pneumonia, the HM could kill you. Mark Heinemann died the day after an ultra which he ran with a "mild touch of pneumonia".

Certified Running Coach
              Crocked since 2013

Marathon Maniac #3309

Has the pneumonia been diagnosed by a doctor. Is it bacterial or viral? If it really is pneumonia, the HM could kill you. Mark Heinemann died the day after an ultra which he ran with a "mild touch of pneumonia".
                Well,.....that would decide it for me!!! Good luck Walt....and a speedy recovery Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Has the pneumonia been diagnosed by a doctor. Is it bacterial or viral?
                  Yes, it was diagnosed by a doctor.....I was given Zythromax (sp?)...the 5-pack (2-1-1-1). I thought I'd be able to hazard a slow run today, but I'm still not 100%....not even close. Soundrunner phrased it best...I really have no business doing a HM right now. Good thing I'm not organized enough to have already registered. Wink Walt

Marathon Maniac #957

Also, pneumonia is one of those things that often seems to be over, then makes a resurgence when you think you are recovered and overdo it. Please, take it seriously and heal up fully before you push yourself physically.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sirwalksalot please do not try this Half it will take 3 weeks to fully recover from pneumonia. Sad Attempting a half too soon could set you back 2-3 months or WORSE...

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

millbot

Okay, it sounds like you've made the smart decision to skip the HM, but I'll add my $0.02 on recovering from pneumonia. The doctor told me that I would feel better after 2-3 weeks, but would not feel 100% until six weeks after beginning antibiotics. I tried running after two weeks, but I did not feel ready for regular training until about the 4th week. The doctor was right that I didn't feel completely well until the 6th week. This is a big, bad infection. I was recovering from pneumonia in the Spring. Running in the cold will be an additional stress to your lungs. It will pay to be careful!
                        coastwalker

I had pneumonia about 4 years ago, and it was amazing how weak it left me, and how long it took me to get back to where I could workout on a regular basis. I agree that pneumonia is nothing to mess with, and that your first priority should be to recover completely before you even think about training for a race. Good luck! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I am happy that you are reconsidering running the half so close to your pneumonia diagnosis. I made a huge mistake back in 2004. Diagnosed with pneumonia, took the zithromax, and rode a century bike ride two weeks later. I had to borrow an inhaler at the 50 miles mark I hit the wall at 80 miles. I finished the 100 miles, quite depleted. It took me months to feel better. My running suffered greatly. I began having asthma symptoms in 2006. Was officially diagnosed with asthma in Fall, 2007. I am unsure if the pneumonia had anything to do with the onset of the asthma but, I know I did myself no favors by undertaking a strenous event in the aftermath of my pneumonia. Good luck at the VCM! We ran that last year. Beautiful course! A couple nice hills... Lovely day.
                            LaVita