Masters Running

Equinox Marathon 2014... or, Slip, Slidin' Away! (Read 37 times)

Great job Erika!  You conquered it, and got 1st in AG.

You are an inspiration!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

That's just incredible Erika!  Congrats!

C-R

Most excellent.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

camille2

Great job!  I enjoyed the report.

Sayhey! MM#130

Great racing as always, Erika!  Mud is tough.  But you can still see what color your shoes are in the video at the end, so it can't have been that bad!   Congrats on 1st AG!

Consider the source here, in terms of her saying "it can't have been that bad."     Me, wuss that I am, am thinking, wow, how yukky is that?  I bet way worse than Erika's even letting on, because she is the Beauty AND the Beast as a runner.   Really, really impressive running.  When's your book coming out?  You're way more interesting than that other nationally known Alaskan woman, and you deliver on your promises!

curtseys and bows, m'lady!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

evanflein

Amy, you crack me up! And hey remember, I ran the last .2 across wet grass so that cleaned my shoes up quite a bit. When I first got onto the pavement after that muddy trail where I fell, it felt like my shoes weighed 10 lbs each!!  Smile

BlazinCajun

Erika,

I am very impressed with your moxie during this race. You are one tough lady. I really enjoyed the report and all the mud. Husband did a great job with the videos. Congratulations for winning your age group.

Andrew
                ------------------
                God, my Lord, is my strength;
                he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                and enables me to go upon the heights.
                Hb 3:19

coastwalker

Hi Erika,

For someone who doesn't like rain or mud, you sure picked a helluva race to run! You did great, and frankly look fresher at the end than I typically do at the end of a 10K.

Keep on amazing us, Erika -- you've been doing it for years!

That pretty much sums it up for me too. You ran an amazing race in awful conditions, and did it with grit, determination, and grace. Congrats!!!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

That is awesome!  I'm glad I didn't have to suffer through it, but it sure was fun to read about.  Great job and congratulations!

I'm with Mike - much nicer reading about it than having to suffer through these conditions.  I was able to picture where you were and compare it to the conditions when we ran it, which was much better that year.  Mud like this makes you engage all of those stabilizer muscles and is so much more exhausting.  Even so, 1st AG and 19th woman is most excellent!  Awesome job!!!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."