Masters Running

How am I supposed to know it's Tuesday if nobody posts?? (Read 42 times)

....Shape it Up People,,,,,I might've had a Nap Scheduled

===========

70-80s today

1st PT work-out

and

3x20-min walks with cane

...............and Good Running to Ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Hello there TW! I can't let you post alone! It's definitely TUESDAY!

Great progress for you and I am so happy to see it (or read about it rather)

Thanks for all the birthday greetings. I haven't been here much---sorry about that. I was in Musselburgh, Scotland (near Edinburgh) on my birthday and had an awesome run there. I flew to London later that day and met up with Mr. CNYrunner for an extended birthday-anniversary weekend visit. Loved it all and we'll head back to the UK soon for sure. We just got back last night.

Anyhow...the running and racing continues and I look forward to seeing RAers at the Chicago Marathon on 10/11. Anyone running the LA marathon? It's on February 14 preceded by the Olympic Trials for the marathon. I am all registered and excited to cheer for some of my idols on 2/13.

Some amazing feats of endurance happening here as always and I need to go back and read more.

Hugs to all in need and high fives to all who want.

Onward!

Tom -   And I, too, am excited for you and your progress.  You deserve it!

CNY - We have a 7+ hr layover in London next month.  Do you - or anybody else here - know if it's worth going back and forth through customs to get out and see some sights?  We also need to check into what it would take to exchange a few dollars into pounds (or euros?) for while we're stuck there.

I guess I'll make up for the lack of posting with a long post.  Sorry, folks.  You did it to yourselves . . . .

I decided to not run this morning and just get some extra sleep.  The Hub said I was moaning and stuff all night - weird dreams again.  I remember at one point trying to say something in my dream and him waking me up.  Guess I was trying to say it out loud.  Thankfully, last night was the last of that medication.  Now I get to start on the vaccinations for our trip again - typhoid pills and yellow fever shot.  It's also our understanding that the malaria medication makes you nauseous.  . . . . yay . . . .

Still doing the car search.  It's basically going to come down to who will give us the best price on the new car and the trade in.  This weekend I talked with a guy friend who's a car dude and he gave me some helpful points.  I hate dickering over prices, but since I'm doing this all via email, I will have the price agreed to before I go in and sign papers.  We'll see . . . .

My dad worked as a security guard for a number of years at one of the local hospitals.  The nursing staff is going to put on a memorial for him at the hospital in a couple of weeks and I am very grateful.  The most important one will be the family memorial in a couple of months down in Cambria where I grew up and where Pops will be buried with my mom.  That one I have plenty of time to prepare for.  Plus, time will have passed so feelings won't be so raw.  The local one will be tough, but it will give those in this area who knew him a chance to say their good-byes.

Okay - The piles on my desk are not getting any smaller and October 8 (the day we leave for vacay) is fast approaching.  Later, friends ~

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

C-R

Me too on tw's progress.

That's lots of racing CNY. Very inspiring.

Nice touch for your father Leslie. Regards London. If I recall Heathrow has a train that takes about 20 minutes each way to get to London. Can't recall the customs wait. Good luck and hope you get to make some use of that time. You could run in the airport and get a nice long 15 miler.

Hen - They did remove the charges on my first call and reset the rate but it was the principle of the thing for me. I work directly with customers and there are some stinkers but the good one's we take care as they generate the majority of our revenue. I'm not a huge fish but they did make a good amount off me in the years with little or nor service required of them. Oh well, I'm on to a different chapter and frankly they don't know who I am in such a big pond of consumers. Its all good.

Up tempo lunch run today and soccer officiating for a fellow ref who got hurt. Hard to keep up with the kids.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Sayhey! MM#130

Good thing tw is losing that cane or he'd be whupping us with it.

Always lovely to see a graceful run past by CNY.

Sorry, sorry, Holly, for your SM's death and the unfinished issues.  That's hard.

Yes, congrats to Jay and deez and Carolyn and everyone with happy results.

Say Econo, the Oregon GRAD news over the weekend was outstanding.  I'd say Mariota looked stellar and outshone Winston in the match-up.

(There was running in the game, before y'all censure me!)

Happy New Year (a bit late)  to all observers.   May it be sweet and good as well as happy.

So the rain on Saturday in DC meant the Ethiopian chef stayed at the restaurant and all we had was the usual assortment of noshes along with some cold injera bread.  So. disappointed.  Was ok until the deluge hit--I was about at mile 16 or so and after that, each foot felt as if it weighed 5 lbs due to water weight.  So strolled in at 3:52.  DH did really well--there's no chip timing, and he started well in back as he is a dutiful person, so his recorded 2:34 is really a 2:28 half,  which is quite good for him.

*********    Stop reading now if you are upset by non-running palaver.  ********

Our chums took us to a super Thai restaurant for Ka Pow (me) and Green Curry (DH) and the Next Stop Theater company's production of "Kiss Me Kate," which was excellent.  Cole Porter was truly "the TOP."

Brush up your Shakespeare
            Start quoting him now
            And the women you will wow

If your girl is a Washington Heights dream
            Treat the kid to 'A Midsummer Night Dream'
            If she fights when her clothes you are mussing
            What are clothes? 'Much Ado About Nussing'

If she says your behavior is heinous
            Kick her right in the 'Coriolanus'
            And they'll all kowtow

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

...fatozzig//...take the malaria meds on a full stomach, with extra water....

ps-

garlic (which has a sulfite)

is toxic to mosquitoes

(and, NO,  pizza doesn't count)

take a Garlic Tablet

in the morning with breakfast and the Little Suckers won't land on you until you bathe or shower it off

[[[[holly]]]]

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

CNY - We have a 7+ hr layover in London next month.  Do you - or anybody else here - know if it's worth going back and forth through customs to get out and see some sights?  We also need to check into what it would take to exchange a few dollars into pounds (or euros?) for while we're stuck there.

Leslie---It's worth a try if the customs line isn't too long....I waited 2 hours last week when I flew in from Boston, but it was the border control line in Heathrow for connecting flights. I missed my connection to Edinburgh, but flights to Scotland are frequent, so it was okay. Order an Oyster card for you and the Hub on-line and load it with enough to get from Heathrow into London. Like C-R says, it's about a 20 minute ride by the Tube and very easy to get on from Heathrow. There's a Heathrow Express or the regular Tube with local stops that takes 45 minutes. Mr. CNYrunner and I ordered these before we went and had 30 pounds pre-loaded. We rode the Tube all over the place for three days and came back with 12 pounds still left. They cap how much you are charged each day. Take the Tube from Heathrow to Covent Garden or Gloucester Road or Knightsbridge stations and you'll be in walking distance to and from lots of sights. I'd say it's worth it if you can get through customs in about an hour or less and then give yourself 90 minutes to get back and get through security to fly onward. You can do a lot in three hours in London---even just go to Hyde Park and walk around or even grab a run!

Oyster card information: https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/oyster

Admission to the Victoria and Albert Museum is free by the way and one of the main exhibits is the History of the Shoe: The Pain and Struggle. Loved that!

And I forgot and so sorry about that...Big Hugs to you Holly about your step-mother. I remember our chats while running about her. I know it's complicated and full of sorrow too.

Thanks for the graceful comment Aamos. :-) Tripping UP the stairs still I am, but trying to be graceful or gracious as much as possible!

Holly, I'm sorry about your step mom.  I'm sending a virtual hug your way.  You and your family are in my thoughts.  Aamos, nice marathon for you and half for your husband.

This morning, it was about 60° and there was a light wind.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:04 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Thanks for the info, CNY.  Much appreciated.

TomWhite - Perfect information! 

Aamos - You're making me hungry . . . .

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

do whatever you can to get out of the airport, ziggie

Too bad you're not coming through Seoul's Inchon.

They have shuttle buses for an hour, two hours, etc. up to four hours

taking transfer passenger to local temples, tourist sites, etc., . . . for free!

ps tom - it's been wednesday over here for the last 11 hours but I can't tell you what I did because it hasn't happened yet.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

{{{Holly}}}

Last run before Reach the Beach relay, an easy 4.3 miler.  I did a big hike on Saturday with B.E. - 4000 feet elevation gain, about 10 miles round trip, and on the way down, a small local earthquake happened.  I always say, last place I want to be during an earthquake is standing below a boulder field on a mountain, but it was ok.  As usual, my calves were sore after the hike, and are still quite tight., but I am sure they will be fine for Friday morning's run in the relay.

Anyone have experience with itchy dogs?  My Remi has developed itchy skin - I am starting to change his diet because it is likely a food sensitivity, but I am also wondering if sending a saliva sample for testing to see what he reacts to, is worth the money.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

5 easy-paced miles for me on Tuesday.  Too busy with work stuff.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tom -   And I, too, am excited for you and your progress.  You deserve it!

I guess I'll make up for the lack of posting with a long post.  Sorry, folks.  You did it to yourselves . . . .

I decided to not run this morning and just get some extra sleep.  The Hub said I was moaning and stuff all night - weird dreams again.  I remember at one point trying to say something in my dream and him waking me up.  Guess I was trying to say it out loud.  Thankfully, last night was the last of that medication.  Now I get to start on the vaccinations for our trip again - typhoid pills and yellow fever shot.  It's also our understanding that the malaria medication makes you nauseous.  . . . . yay . . . .

Still doing the car search.  It's basically going to come down to who will give us the best price on the new car and the trade in.  This weekend I talked with a guy friend who's a car dude and he gave me some helpful points.  I hate dickering over prices, but since I'm doing this all via email, I will have the price agreed to before I go in and sign papers.  We'll see . . . .

My dad worked as a security guard for a number of years at one of the local hospitals.  The nursing staff is going to put on a memorial for him at the hospital in a couple of weeks and I am very grateful.  The most important one will be the family memorial in a couple of months down in Cambria where I grew up and where Pops will be buried with my mom.  That one I have plenty of time to prepare for.  Plus, time will have passed so feelings won't be so raw.  The local one will be tough, but it will give those in this area who knew him a chance to say their good-byes.

Okay - The piles on my desk are not getting any smaller and October 8 (the day we leave for vacay) is fast approaching.  Later, friends ~

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!