Masters Running

The Daily Thursday, 8.16.12 (Read 389 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all,

Wow: Spiders and hawks and dogs and cats; cantaloup(e)s and berries; lots of family goings-on; and, oh yeah, some runs too! What a busy day yesterday!

"Good rant, Ribs.  It sucks to hear of good folks suffering.  I suspect it happens just as often to the SOB's.  It's just that nobody's there to care."

I believe Tramps got that right.

We closed registration for the Seacoast Half Marathon (Nov. 11) last night when we reached our limit of 1,500. I've already got a dozen emails from people complaining that they just missed it and wondering how they can still get in. This year's beneficiary will be auctioning off 10 additional entries - last year's auction got prices of up to $300 per entry (pre-closing price was $60). It all goes to the beneficiary, so it's all good.

No workout this morning, since I have a 10K at 6 tonight. I woke up in the middle of the night to rain pounding on the deck outside our window, thunder, and lightning. I had a tough time getting back to sleep, so I used the extra time this morning to get in a few more winks.

Enjoy your day!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Thanks Jay and all of you who tolerate me.

No run today.  I go to court in a few minutes to testify about the assault I witnessed at Starbucks, all over this stupid issue:

Man A goes to SBux and ties his dog to the table while he goes inside to get coffee. Lots of people do this.  Man B comes along with wife and two daughters. Daughters go over and mess with the dog, untying it and it runs across the parking lot.  Man A comes out, chases down his dog and reties.  He admonishes the girls, "Never approach a dog you don't know."  Man B goes ballistic that A talked to his daughters and continues to harass him put his nose in his face, shake his finger at him and blocks the door to the SBux so A can't get in.  A brushes past B, lightly touching him.  B then yells, "You touched me. That's an assault. I'm calling the cops."   What nonsense!

Luanda is the capital of what African country?   Spareribs

Tramps

Yeah, you’re right Jay.  Besides the animals we went from Shiva to Shelob yesterday.  Along with some existential musings on the unfairness of life and the fate of SOBs.  Meanwhile Troy traveled halfway across Alaska, Econo found twenty bucks, and we’ve decided OM’s doing a sub-4!  This place is often interesting.

Erika—nice running.  I haven’t seen those paces in ages.  More importantly, I’m glad you’re able to help care for your parents. 

Tammy—those are great race prices.  You are lucky.

TomS—good to have you back.  Glad to hear moving your mother went as well as it could.

Ribs--were you "Man A" or "Man B"? 

Easy 5 for today.

I’m off to Denver for work for a couple of days, then Tribee and I are hanging out for an Internet-free week in a cabin up north.  Maybe we’ll even work out a meeting with our undomesticated youngster.

Have a great week!

Be safe. Be kind.

If people like that hang out at Starbucks, I'm glad I don't go there.  But I'm cheap so that's not a problem.

I'm guessing Mozambique.

Today is XT or rest day so I'll probably go for a bike ride.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Monday:  Bike AM, Swim PM

Tuesday:  Run AM

Wednesday:  Bike AM, Swim PM

Thursday:  Run AM, maybe Swim PM

Friday:  Bike AM, maybe Swim PM (if I don't Swim PM Thurs.)

Saturday:  Golf AM

Sunday:  Run AM

This is the first week since I started this Tri-business that I might actually do all the planned workouts.  I haven't done a week yet that matched the plan - rain outs, pool full of kids, general laziness, and other excuses used freely.

My legs were a bit tired this morning so I ran 4 miles at recovery pace with 3 striders in the last mile and a half or so.  On plan so far this week ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

A good 5+ miles at something that felt harder than MP. Didn't wear a watch so I'll never know if it was or not.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Ribs--were you "Man A" or "Man B"? 

Big grin

C-R

No run yet today due to several interviews. Had a great evening 12 miler last night with the chief flying monkey who is excited about all the masters runners coming to Nashville. The flying mokeys did not attack last night but the fireflies put on a wonderful show in the woods.

Ribs just gave me another reason to avois Starbucks - Cafiene Rage.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I fell asleep last night reading the posts, with my finger on the page down key.  Now I've forgotten what I wanted to say.

Add me to the list of those caring for aging parents.  Mom is 97 and has lived in an apartment at assisted living for a year now.  They are starting to nickel and dime me to death with the extra services that they provide.  I’m glad she is settled there but her memory isn’t exactly what it used to be, but hey, neither is mine!  Mary, how’s your mom doing? I hope you get your mojo back.

Big news for me yesterday.  I signed up for a half marathon!  I know I have a long ways to go as a distance runner, but this one works out at the end of our camping trip to Yellowstone.  It’s in the Black Hills, Run Crazy Horse on September 30th. The race starts at the Crazy Horse Memorial,el. 5876, goes 2 miles uphill to el. 6094.8, then it’s downhill for 11 miles to 4985 ft..  We biked this trail 2 years ago and just for grins went for over 8 miles without pedaling.  This time might take a bit more effort.  Our elevation here in SW MN is 1591 ft.

I’ve been using both the beginner and intermediate Hal Higdon training plans as training guides.  I do the long runs from the intermediate.  Last night was a tempo with my Garmin based on HR zones.  I think I did OK with the 20 minutes in the middle in zone 4 (12:28) but my HR doesn't come down quickly even if I walk.  Max HR is all kind of a guess anyway, I suppose.  I’ll try to program it differently next time and turn off that annoying alarm! 

Here’s my monthly mileage, so I know I have a lot of work to do.  Any advice on a plan would be appreciated.  I also have a local 10K 4 weeks from Saturday, then the half in 6 weeks.  Now I have 2 goals and it feels great.

Jan - 11

Feb - 14

Mar - 20

Apr - 33

May - 7

Jun - 16

July - 46

Aug – 32.72 so far

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

wildchild

Carolyn

I’m off to Denver for work for a couple of days, then Tribee and I are hanging out for an Internet-free week in a cabin up north.  Maybe we’ll even work out a meeting with our undomesticated youngster.

Big grin   Looking forward to meeting you and Tribee! 

More animal sightings: 

This morning on my drive to work, traffic stopped for a herd of elk crossing the highway near Golden.

On my trail run this morning in Chatfield State Park, I saw about a dozen pelicans and a heron in Chatfield Lake.

And last night, there were two bull moose in my driveway when I got home!   When we were cooking dinner we looked out the kitchen window, and one had wandered down and was standing next to my car!   I know Erika sees moose all the time, but they don't normally live here.  Here's Bullwinkle:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Here’s my monthly mileage, so I know I have a lot of work to do.  Any advice on a plan would be appreciated.  I also have a local 10K 4 weeks from Saturday, then the half in 6 weeks.  Now I have 2 goals and it feels great.

Jan - 11

Feb - 14

Mar - 20

Apr - 33

May - 7

Jun - 16

July - 46

Aug – 32.72 so far

Look at you Star, you are increasing those miles beautifully. I think you can top July's miles easily. Go Star runs, goo!!!

SpareRibs, ohh wiseone, we don't just tolerate you, we love you!

Way to go Ben, working at a library would be soooo cool! I rather enjoy my pizza btw, so Econo, save a piece for me.

Opie, great 3 miles at MP yesterday!

OrangeMat, I am a believer in your ability to run a sub-4. Your training is looking mighty good.

Coastwalker, 1,500 for a HM Surprised (that would be a big crowd for around here)

Ohh, did everyone have the chance to see our up coming dancing star Erika's video! You did look goo, gf.

Tramps, enjoy Denver. Will you see Wildchild?

Twocat, save a plate of ribs for me on Saturday. 

Enkie, it is so cool that you and your sister were able to see each other! 

Luanda is the capital of Angola. It is the third  largest Portuguese speaking city besides Sao Paulo and Rio de Janairo. The only reason I know this is because it's full name is São Paulo da Assunção de Loanda, and Asuncion is the name of my country's capital city. Wink

Well, for me it was 15 zombiesleks miles this morning. I find that running away from zombies allows me to keep my pace a little faster during my long runs. I was captured 4 times, but out-ran the zombies 5 times. Not bad of an expedition if you as me. The Easy Pacer kept me company for the first three miles.

I ran my new favorite route, those hills look so much worse while running on them.  

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

That's quite the moose.  And quite the caffeine rage story too.

OM - I'm impressed with your long run pace.  This sub-4 seems doable based on that.  Based on a bunch of 400's, I would not put a lot of faith into predictions.  I could at one time do 8 x 400 at about 7:50 pace, but was nowhere near a sub-4 marathon.

4.2 miles, using my Garmin with it's new velcro strap ($10?).  I really like the strap since it allows me to tighten it just right.  I just hope it doesn't succumb to sweat-induced stinkiness after a while.

Going up into the 90s for the next 3 days, I can hardly wait! Roll eyes  (no airconditioning)

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Luanda is the capital of what African country?   Spareribs

....ok,

so Ohio would be out, right????

eta-

SORRY,

that

ImpulseControlThing got away from me briefly.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Thanks Mariposai.  I remember I was holding a steady effort going up a hill but it was getting harder, and I thought, my mind is strong and my body will follow.  It works!

I don't pay much attention to my Garmin any more.  I like to use it for post-run analysis, so I was starting to think about Saturday's 2-mile race and took a look at my log from the last time I raced on the course, the campus nearby where I teach.  Disappointed to find my Garmin data missing with an entry that it ran out of memory during the warmup, which I had forgotten.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Re hill running, I learned that if you imagine yourself like a Segway, you'll create the momentum to keep going up without any undue extra effort. I had always run up hills this way before, but never understood why I was able to. The coach at the trail running camp explained that to us one day when he was teaching us about uphill running form, that you lean more forward like you would on a Segway, and BAM! I finally understood why I was never able to STOP running up a hill in the midst of it. Smile

Enke, did I say 400m? I was talking about 800m, as in the Yasso 800s. Granted, I only did 5 instead of 8 (or is it 10?), and my recovery time was much shorter than that workout requires, but still, that was what I was working on.

My trail running plans got botched this morning, so I'm going out at 5pm today to run with a couple friends in the park. I've missed them! Then MrOM and I have date night tonight, though probably not with a couple flights of craft beers like we did last week....