Masters Running

Saturday September 8 Runs and Whatnot (Read 339 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Not much time to post, as I need to drive DS to his driver's ed class.  The tile guy is grouting the backsplash right now.  It looks awesome, a mixture of stone and glass pieces, thin but of varying lengths.  I think it really ties the kitchen together.

16 miles for me this morning, but it was broken into pieces:  7 miles in the wind and rain, then home to change and dry off and 9 more miles on the TM, with several hops on and off to deal with laundry, phone calls, the tile guy, etc.  Not any particular quality, just some junk miles to burn some calories.

We had fun at the work event where we were all dressed up.  I didn't get any pictures, but there was someone there taking photos, so I will see if I can get one to post.  You should see some of the outfits, great fun!  Next year's theme will be "the 60's era."  The women all agreed that will be easier on our feet.  Smile

Good luck to the weekend racers!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...mornin' Flapper/////

=========

..........32min poolrun,,,,,,,,,,ThunderBoomers moving into the area

trailrun tomorrow

..........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

My plan to find a tiny race worked.  I ran a nice 5k today and got 1st in my AG (out of 2 or 3), and 6th overall out of who knows how many (30-50?).

It was almost 20 degrees cooler today than my Monday race, so I ran about 20 seconds per mile quicker.  I was messing around with my watch at the start.  Trying to locate satellites, so I started late. Roll eyes  My watch time was 23:45.  Official time was 24:02.

Felt great the whole way.  A little windy, but it was a PR type of day if one was in PR shape.

Everyone out running?

4.1 miles on a path that seemed to be overflowing with runners today.  Where are they in winter?

90F predicted, so probably will hit the pool.

ETA:  nice race Dave!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

09/08 Mariposai - Lake Chelan Marathon, Chelan, WA

09/08 SLOjim - Heartbreak Ridge Half Marathon, Camp Pendleton, CA

09/08 Coastwalker - Fox Point Sunset 5 Miler, Newington, NH

09/08 deez4boyz - Pumpkinman Sprint Triathlon

09/08 Opie - Dash for Dad Half Marathon, Oklahoma City OK

09/09 Mike E - City of Lakes 25K, Minneapolis, MN

Good luck Everyone!!

3 miles in much cooler temps today. I felt suprisingly good concidering my Friday night festivities. Roll eyes Ya know how you stop for only one and before you know it .........? Anyway lots of great talk and laughter but I bet none of them got up this morning and ran. I bet they never get up and run period!

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Nice race, Dave! I just got back from packet pickup for a 10 mile race I'm going tomorrow as a supported training run (have 12 miles on my schedule). Ssh! Don't tell my coach!

Have a great weekend, everyone. Go racers go!!

wildchild

Carolyn

Way to cherry pick a small race, Dave! 

Mike, sounds like a hard time for your family - give Debbie a hug for me.   And good luck at your race tomorrow! 

The aspen leaves are starting to turn here, and the trails are absolutely beautiful.  I ran 12.7 miles in Golden Gate Canyon State Park on a perfect cool sunny day.  Have I ever mentioned how much I love trail running?    Okay, I guess now it's taper time again.  My marathon next Saturday starts at 9,000 ft and goes up to 10,600 ft at the turnaround... Surprised   but the aspen should be pretty!  It's called the Autumn color run.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - nice racing!

Just checking in to see if Mariposai has checked in.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Saturday, all. 

3.1 miles in nice humid conditions.  a little better than I expected after almost a week without getting out.  Try again tomorrow and I hope the major storms passing through tonight will have gone and taken some of the humidity with them.

Monday DW and I head out to San Diego for 5 days and tack on a couple more at the end to visit DD in LA. I have a training class there and flew enough last year to get a free companion pass on Southwest--this being the first shot at using it. All the travel really bolloxes up my running, but it does lead to much cheaper personal travel. I've only had to buy DD one oneway ticket for all the trips between coasts for the last three+ years.

Hope all the racers did as well picking their races as Dave did.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike, my condolences to your wife and family.  My thoughts are with all of you.  Dave, nice 5K with 1st in AG and 6th OA.

Nice long runs for holly and wild.

This morning, it was in the high 50s and there was some wind.  I got in 6 miles at an 11:01 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

No time to read the daily but promise to catch up when the sun goes down.MikeE, I did read about your wife’s family, that is such a sad story.  Hugs to all.

I ran a 10K this morning, well a practice one on the route for next Saturday.  I was first OA and first in AG – ha ! Big grin  I met my goal of less than 12:00 minute miles (11:57).  I drove downtown and walked to the start, felt a bit silly running down Main Street at 10:30 all by myself.  It was a gorgeous day at 59° and 10-15 mph wind. I ran steady only stopping once for water (at my house about 2.75 miles).

I was only passed by two runners, a gal who passed me on the inside…. Confused. The other guy was a man I’ve know for a while.  We chatted a bit and he told me he’s running the Turkey Day 10K for the 33rd consecutive time (all of them)!  I should offer to make him a t-shirt quilt.  I think he ran once after having shoulder surgery.  He had a record of running every day for an outrageously long time.  The race starts and ends downtown, finishing by running the first 4 blocks again.  The reviewing stand is a block before the finish and they do a great job calling out all the names on the loudspeaker.  There are big crowds of people with all the other activities.

Turkey Days was actually founded by my grandfather in the early 1930’s.  He was the son of a Sweedish immigrant who came to Worthington and started a creamery and produce company about 100 years ago.  He was a generous man and employed a lot of people throughout the depression.  His donations made quite an impact on this little town.  Anyway, he got the idea to raise turkeys and helped the farmers get hatcheries established.  Eventually we became the “Turkey Capital of the World”.  He started Turkey Days as a family celebration that has gotten bigger and more involved (although I know he would disapprove of the beer gardens).

I’m looking forward to seeing family and friends that come to town every year.  The featured speaker, after the turkey race and before the parade, is a former high school football player that was paralyzed in a football game in 1971.  "Mike Patrick got the electric chair and lived to tell about it.... the electric wheelchair".  He does motivational speaking and has recently written a book too.

Good luck to all the real racers this weekend!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

I ran a 10K this morning, well a practice one on the route for next Saturday.  I was first OA and first in AG – ha ! Big grin  I

You are a girl after my own heart! You are going to so rock your race next week!!

Well, I am back from the marathon. This was a long day for me. Up at 3am, left the house shortly after that to drive the near 2 hours to the bib pick up place to then be driven for 1 hour by bus to the starting line. The race course is gorgeous, it was so hard not to stop to take pictures. I ran t his marathon in 2007 as a way to earn my Marathon Maniac Status, but I have forgotten how hilly the course really is. Funny how we can have selective memory Joking about things.

Anyway, got it done. Fourth and last race for the year. I executed this marathon differently than  what standard wisdom dictates. I went fast for the first half (the hilliest part) knowing fully well that the second half will be in pure hot sun. Wow, was I hot!!! I don't know the official result yet. Garmin says I did it in 4:29 minutes (same as my Boston finish timeCool). This was a 15 minutes course PR for my wings.

I am very happy with the race, even when by mile 14 all the wheels came off (as the sun showed to us all who is the boss. It was 82 at the finish line) and from there on it was just pure mental work. A few abdomen cramps did not make things easier either, but ohhh did I mention the view of the lake and the mountains? 

That is all for now, time to get dinner going. t-bone steak anyone want to come over for dinner...Baba ganoush with pita for appetizer, couscous salad, grilled veggies and green salad will be served in about one hour. Clown . 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Congratulations, butterfly sister!  Speedy running in the heat!  I went out fast on my race last weekend, too, because it was cool and cloudy at the start, and I knew I'd slow down when the sun came out.  Nice course PR! 

Dinner sounds wonderful - be there soon!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Ah, Lake Chelan, sunny and gorgeous like our Butterfly lady.  I still remember those sunflowers you brought me.....

Did you dip into the cold lake water after the race at least?

I just watched Michelle Obama's speech, so much better delivery than Barack's.   I don't know why I do this, I can't vote.  Maybe I will change that in a few years.

Holly, any chance of a short lay-over at SeaTac next weekend?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Some good racing today with AG awards.  Nice going, folks!!

I, on the other hand, had an absolutely Terrible, Terrible run today.   Was suppose to do 20 max, adjusted my mindset to 18, but managed 15, and that's only because I had to get back to my car.  Ended up walking 90% of the last 3-3.5 miles.  It was just a really bad day.  The whole body felt awful, and my legs are still really achy, like I ran a dang race, so makes me wonder if I'm trying to come down with something.  Will see how I feel after church tomorrow and may just go for a walk or take a total rest day, as opposed to fighting through 10 more trail miles.

Some days it's there, some days it ain't.

Our church's picnic/concert in the park was relaxing.  Pastor Matt ended up having to pull a guy aside who was dancing shirtless in front of, well, God and everyone, and was definitely on some sort of high.  Anybody could come and join us, so with this being Humboldt County, who knows where the dude came from.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance