Masters Running

2016 Portland, OR Marathon RA family meet up (Read 67 times)

Mariposai

Let's meet up in Portland, OR on the weekend of October 9th to celebrate our friendship and enjoy this great race.

The Portland Marathon offers options for a half marathon and a full marathon. The course is flat, you will have great race crew support, fantastic music along the way and at the end, a fun filled RA family post race party.

Let's just do it!

http://portlandmarathon.org/register-now/

I am sure we can find a nice big house in VRBO like we did for the Seattle Rock and Roll Marathon where we can fit as many people, do a lot of cooking and save a lot of hotel money.

I am sure Econo, Winejunky, Labduck and others can help us have a fabulous time!

Let's just do it!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

This sounds great and I am seriously considering it. I have a new client in Portland as well, so this could work perfectly! Circled on the calendar in pencil now and hope to make that ink soon.

Exciting!

Sayhey! MM#130

Wow, looks as if I better start using the United card..........

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

I'm in.

I don't know if that is for the full, half, or just for the party, but I'm in!

Does it sell out quickly?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Sayhey! MM#130

Whoa........um, just dropped by marathon guide.com.  Please to explain, the runners stop for trains?  And there are quite a few?   And the rate now is $135.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

No trains that I recall.  I've run it twice.  But omigosh, I can't wait to see all of you!  Now if I can just get CNY down to Eugene for a guest lecture...

Marathon Maniac #957

And the rate now is $135.

That is pretty darn steep.  I emailed the RD to ask if that price changes, what the deadlines are, and if it usually sells out, and the reply was:

The price will increase. The increases occur at increments that are based on the number of participants we have registered so unfortunately it is impossible for me to tell you when these will occur.  We do normally sell out (capped at 10,000) in June, though this is our 45th anniversary year and it may happen sooner as a result.

However, I am definitely in.  I will register today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ALL ABOUT TRAINS

Whoa........um, just dropped by marathon guide.com.  Please to explain, the runners stop for trains?  And there are quite a few?   And the rate now is $135.

Portland trains
                  Unfortunately, my first-hand experience with Portland trolly trains at the 2006 Portland Marathon Boomer Reunion was one of the reasons I vowed never to go back there again as I ended up getting lost on one side of the tracks as a commuter train went by while the person I was trying to keep up was on the other side of the tracks.
                  For this year’s edition, however, local residents were warned the city’s MET trains could experience fifteen-minute delays on marathon Sunday.  However, with my current pace now some four minutes slower than in 2006, I never even saw any let alone getting delayed anymore.  whew.  http://news.trimet.org/2015/09/portland-marathon-to-affect-trimet-service-sunday-oct-4/
                  San Diego Trains
                  It didn’t affect me but it was a different story for the then-San Diego Marathon in Carlsbad when a commuter train interrupted a neck-and-neck finish for the women’s leaders in January 1998 or so.  The course was subsequently re-routed to take advantage of an underpass. 
                  Japan trains
                  Reminds of the long cargo train with a three-or-four minute passing that allowed me to catch up with a couple of hundred faster runners at mile 24, . . . and a similar number to catch up to me, in 1984 at the Anchorage sister-city Chitose Marathon in Hokkaido.

Anybody else?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

I was stopped by a train in my one, and only, 100k.  It passed way too quickly.

I was stopped by a train in my one, and only, 100k.  It passed way too quickly.

*SNORK!!* 

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

I had no idea Portland was so expensive. the half is still $125. no way in hell I pay $100+ to run 13 miles. that's reeedunculous! I'll still consider coming up to see and visit all who make the journey though.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

me too; . . . and it's why I vowed off Portland in 2004 when it started becoming so expensive.

Many Marathon Maniacs from up here too don't do it anymore, either..

However, i still need the marathon as an excuse to go down there even though the real reasons since 2004 have been the Boomer Reunion in 2006, this year's Japan Joyful reunion, and next year's RA-reunion.  Portland is such a great city, waterfalls and several full-block big parks right in the middle of town anyway but it is hard to say that, as far as it is out of most budgets and super-discretionary, the marathon isn't worth it when it's all over.

I'd like it if you could pace me again as in Eugene but I don't think I could even keep up to your recreational walking at this stage. However, FYi, though the half marathon doesn't go over it, non-numbered runners are blocked from crossing the St. John's Suspension Bridge which is completely closed to traffic and others at mile 17.5 of the marathon in case pacing might work out before-or-after the bridge with several of the other RA'ers. I hope so.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I think I am going to register for the half! I plan to spend time before or after the RA party to stay with my friend there.  If you get a house to rent would it be for Fri/Sat/Sun or just Sat/Sun?  I think this sounds like fun.  Now I just have to figure out how to get off of work for the week.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

This being a Sunday race, I will probably come up on Friday and leave Monday, depending on the flights available.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Just signed up for the full.  (palm on face) Can't believe how ridiculously optimistic this is.