Masters Running

Downtown River Run Race Report (Read 28 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

I had written a pre-race report on the plane but it was so filled with negativity and self pity, I decided not to post it. This has not been a fun time leading up to this race.  Because of all the problems I was having with my heel, I never could get myself excited about it and I knew I was severely undertrained. There was a point about a month and a half ago that I seriously considered dropping out of the race and just turning it into a vacation in San Francisco. But...I've never dropped out of a race before, and I didn't know how. So...I trained the best I could and figured I'd just do the best I could on race day...and that's what I did.

Nothing really went right from the very beginning. I did not find Reno, Nevada, very runner friendly at all. The host hotel didn't even know there was a marathon going on...and it started right out their front door. Finding a place to eat a simple spaghetti dinner was almost impossible. But, we did the best we could.

I did get to bed at a decent time...only to be woken up at 2:00 am to the couple next door fighting. I guess he did appreciate her dancing with another guy...his "heart was broken". For over an hour, I listened to the same accusations and excuses over and over...and then I had to listen the making up...I'm not sure which was worse.

Okay--the race. Because the couple of months leading up to the race was consumed with busy days and poor training, I didn't bother studying the course or thinking much about it. The first time I even looked at the course map was the night before. I didn't know if it was hilly or flat--out and back or a 26.2 mile loop--and I never considered the altitude. As I stood at the starting line I figured I'd just do the best I could.

Okay--when I am in charge of all the races in the world--I am going to make all volunteers read an instruction manual on how to run an aide station. It seems like common sense that you would want things ready for the runners BEFORE they get to the table. At one station, I had to go to the table and find the Gatorade among the water glasses while the person working that table was taking pictures of the other volunteers who were posing for their pictures. At another, as I approached, I yelled "ENERGY GEL! ENERGY GEL!" Then watched a guy run to a car to get the gels and then waited as he asked me "Which would you like, vanilla or...umm...what is this...oh, strawberry?" I just grabbed one, tore the top off, and had the sticky gel squirt all over my leg. Nice. I just ate the rest, washed it down with a quick swig of water and went on my way.

Then...as I was struggling up a hill, trying to suck in air that didn't seem to be there, I realized that I wasn't close to sea level anymore. No, it wasn't wildchild altitude, but climbing to 5000 feet feels a whole lot different than 880. Oh well....I would just do the best I could.

You guys might hate me for this or think I'm a huge jerk...but...in the first couple miles, I found myself in 4th place with the 3rd place guy just ahead. The thing was...he had a guy on a bike pacing and supporting him...and he did that the whole way. I don't know why, but this ticked me off. The instructions clearly said that their was to be no pacing or bicycles on the course. And, yet--there they were--together the whole way--passing race official after race official--and nobody did anything about it. Maybe, if I had been in 100th place and he in 99th, it wouldn't have bothered me, but this was for 3rd place...and it ticked me off. As soon as I finished the race, I went looking for a race race official and made a complaint. Of course, nothing was done...and I still feel like a jerk.

Back to the race...and no more whining and complaining...the course was actually one of my favorites. I really don't think I could have gotten under 3 hours even if I had been able to train properly. It was a tough course, but not terrible. It was constantly rolling and, after looking at the elevation after the race, the highest point was at the turn around so we had mostly down hill for the way back.

I am not a very good judge of when I'm going up or down a hill. I was surprised, on the way back, that I was going down some hills that I thought I was going down on the way out. It was no wonder I was missing my splits and was off at the half way point. I tried pushing myself, thinking I might be able to make up the time I had lost. But, at mile 17, I stated feeling a little woozy--which wasn't anything real unusual--but it worried me enough to make me back off just a little bit.

I knew I was in 4th and was the first master, so that kept me pushing. I was never passed the entire race...even when we met up with the half marathoners at about mile 20. In fact, it was kind of fun picking off so many of them, and I really appreciated those that realized I was full marathoner and cheered me on.

Here's another funny/stupid thing that I did. Approaching the finish line, I started picking it up. I was catching a girl who was finishing the half. All of a sudden, I thought about the finishing photos and I didn't want it to look like I was finishing my marathon at the same time a girl was. So I really picked it up to get some distance between us, hoping that the picture wouldn't have her in it. Except, when she saw me pass her, she picked it up, too. (Now--remember--these thoughts are entering my mind in fractions of seconds). I thought about letting her go but then realized the picture might show her beating me so I decided that, if she was going to be in my finishing photo, I was going to be ahead of her. So it was a race to the finish for both of us. I told you it was stupid...but kind of funny, too...don't you think?

Overall, I am very happy with this marathon. Oh--can I just put in another plug for the Hansons' Marathon Method? Every marathon, before I started with their training plan, I would be so sore. Walking down stairs would be impossible. But, today, I was walking up and down stairs with no problem at all. Debbie and I walked about 12 miles, today, touring San Francisco--up and down all the hills--with no problem. If you're looking to shake up your training--I highly recommend Hansons'.

And my heel...after struggling with it for over 3 months...even after my last run on Friday night...is feeling pretty good. I will figure this thing out. I'm starting with a chiropractor and see where that goes.

Okay--I guess that's about it. It wasn't my best marathon...but it was the best I could do. I'll post some pictures when I get some. Thanks for reading and I really appreciate all of your support.

BlazinCajun

Mike,

Really enjoyed your report. This report was sprinkled with so many details and was amazed that you could remember them enough to put them to the pen. I'd probably write something like I trained, raced, and finished - some what happy at the moment. You did a great job racing out there and you are not a jerk - the officials need to really take charge. When hotels don't know that there is a marathon starting near by sometimes I wonder if we just have marathon race saturation, i.e., too many marathons become common-place or what's the big deal? Oh those hotel noises - what can you do? Congratulations on placing as first masters - great job!

Andrew
      ------------------
      God, my Lord, is my strength;
      he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
      and enables me to go upon the heights.
      Hb 3:19

New skirt in town

I can't believe you managed to finish so strongly despite all of those obstacles!  Congratulations on running a greta race!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

coastwalker

Hi Mike,

There just is no excuse for aid stations not being ready on time, and it is very frustrating for a runner who is counting on getting some liquid to have to pass by empty-handed (and empty-throated). You are right that if a race is going to impose a 'no pacing' rule, they need to enforce it. Otherwise, why bother? I love the game you played with the half marathon runner coming to the finish - probably gave you both much faster finishes! All in all, especially with your heel, training issues, the altitude, the couple next door the night before, etc., you ran a great race! Congrats on 4th overall and 1st Masters!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

SubDood

Mike,

I loved your report! Congrats again! You are definitely not a jerk -- I saw the "no pacing" rule when I looked up your race and cannot understand why they would have a rule like that and not enforce it, especially with those in contention. I would've been frustrated with those aid stations, too. I've been so spoiled by how good the volunteers are in our local events.

I play the same exact game with finish line photos ... ever since I finished a 1 mile race right behind a guy who was just finishing a 4 Mile race that started about an hour beforehand!

Glad to hear you and your wife are enjoying the Bay Area!

Bob

Congratulations on a great race, Mike.  I echo the others' sentiments about the pacing and aid station workers not doing their job.  Yes, it's a voluntary position, but it's also a promise to the runners to do their best to support them.  Yeah, the elevation sucks, doesn't it?

Enjoy the rest of your time in SF.  You guys deserve it ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Just a dude.

Nice race report, and it sounds like you had a decent race even with everything else going on.

I live in Carson City and work in Reno. I apologize that the support for the race was poor. I know they were having a hard time getting people to volunteer this time around, and the running community was pretty blah about it this year. I am not sure why.

I went on a run with almost 20 runners the day before, and only 3 even had the run on their radar.

Reno doesn't have very many elite runners. Most of the races cater to slower types. Many of the 5ks have almost 50% walkers and at most a handful under 20 minutes.

But thanks for visiting our neck of the woods. Or well, our neck of the desert.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

I did get to bed at a decent time...only to be woken up at 2:00 am to the couple next door fighting. I guess he did appreciate her dancing with another guy...his "heart was broken". For over an hour, I listened to the same accusations and excuses over and over...and then I had to listen the making up...I'm not sure which was worse.

Your story reminds me of the time I ran the Medtronic Twin Cities marathon. The hotel we stayed at had reserved a lot of rooms for some school's homecoming weekend, and we ended up on the same floor with a bunch of the partiers. They even ended up calling the police because of the pot and underage drinking. Who showed up at like 2:00 in the morning. And then they stood outside our room and argued for like a half an hour.

You are not a jerk Mike. But probably very humble. Did you win the Masters' division?  You never told us your time or your splits. Really nice race report, which would be even better with some pictures   Nice job!

wildchild

Carolyn

Greta job, Mike!  Especially considering your heel pain and your training not being what you wanted.

But you never told us the end of the finish line story:  did the half marathon girl beat you??  Was she in your picture??

Bummer about the aid station volunteers, especially when they were taking selfies instead of actually noticing the runners coming by!

You say "I am not a very good judge of when I'm going up or down a hill."  I never have trouble with that around here!  I can give you some pointers if you'd like!

The 3rd place guy with the pacer doesn't sound very fair, and I don't understand why the race officials didn't uphold their race policy.  How far ahead of you did he finish?  Do you think you would have had a chance to beat him if he didn't have support? Was there actually any prize money involved, or just the fame and glory?

I love reading your race reports!  So much detail.  When's the next race?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Gee...for being so detailed...I left out the details...

Time: 3:09:50

Place: 4th--I think there were only 180 some marathoners, though.  I really thought this was a bigger one when I signed up for it.

Age Group (50-59): 1st

After seeing the official results, I saw that the guy with the bike pacer ended up finishing in 2nd place.  It really didn't matter, there were no special awards for the top 3 overall.  I'm not sure why it even bothered me so much.  I watched him at the end of the race and he was so happy.  Everybody was congratulating him...he seemed like a nice guy.  He, probably, didn't even know there was a rule against pacing.  And, no...I could not have beaten him if he had not had the help.

As of right now, my next marathon will be Marine Corps in October.

I haven't seen any race pictures, yet...but yes...I beat the girl to the finish.

Thanks everybody!

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - Great report!  No, I don't think you are a jerk, either.  I can understand you being annoyed by the guy breaking the rules with the pacer.  When you are as close to the front of the pack as you are, that kind of help can make a difference and it is an unfair advantage.  However, like you said, maybe he didn't know.

I think you should seriously email the RD about the water stop volunteers, though.  That is something they could use to help next year's race, because I think you are right - well-meaning volunteers are put out there with no clear instructions, and there should be some.

Anyway, in spite of all the obstacles, you ran an awesome race.  Congratulations!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."