Masters Running

R&R Saturday--8-23-14 (That's Runs & Races for this group) (Read 40 times)

mrrun

Ribs - happy birthday young 'un - to be in this group you have to be more than 32 years!

holly - awesome pic!

tw - good pool running

mikee - awesome as usual

posai - sorry about the floods - you've had rotten weather not fair

10 miles on commonwealth heartbreak hill - lots of friendly runners today

marj

Tramps

Happy birthday, Ribs.

Funny music stuff.  I certainly know who Taj is (and Steely Dan, too).  Grandpa Rock as the kids call it.  Now if they would just get off my lawn.

Busy week.  Seems like I've been dragging everyday.  Humidity?  Not sure. Anyhow I got my 7 MP miles in but was fading by the end.  At least the rain kept things less hot.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Adorable picture, Holly. It seems like you had a great time.

Since I couldn't get to the race, I decided to run long today. 15 miles total. First 4 @ MP with the easy pacer, then he left me in the  mountains to run home. Great run, but we started a bit too late and the sun was beating on me without mercy. Got it done and now ready to go floating in the river with some friends.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59

Short update: Had fun. Exceeded expectations. 1:33:30. Ninth Crim. Third best time. (This race has never been one that brings out my best performances.)  And I saw Tom2 before the race.

Random ramblings: I would never admit to having any goals before the race because I don't want to have to push myself if I am having an off day.  But now that the race is over, I can say that my "A" goal was a 9:30 pace for a 1:35 finish.

The weather didn't feel too bad.  I knew it was humid, but it was foggy and only 62°, plus there was a bit of a breeze.  I did have a pretty good sweat going by the end of mile 2 so I can attest that it was humid.  I was in the 3rd or 4th starting wave.  I was in view of the 9:30 pacer, but he gradually pulled ahead of me as I seem to have the worst time navigating traffic.  I do not like to waste energy zipping around people, I am too old for that.  I could always see the 9:30 pacer and group and I caught and passed them between 4 and 5 miles.

The whole course is rolling hills.  Nothing too great.  Right at mile 5 are the infamous Bradley Hills which are a set of 3 hills everyone makes a big deal about.  My hill work payed off and I had little problem with Bradley today.  The last 5 miles have many more hills than those and my legs were wearing down by the end.

Near the beginning I heard a guy say that the fog would burn off by mile 4 and we would be baking in the sun.  I was hoping he was wrong, and he was.  Blue skies did start appearing overhead, but off to the east, the fog held on and blocked the sun for a good while.  I hit direct sunlight for the first time at mile 7.8 and by then it was too late to do me much harm.  Sun normally sucks the energy right out of me.

Lots of interesting people to follow and ponytails bouncing around.  You are never alone in this race.  Usually I see some super heroes running, but today all I saw was one guy in a tutu. 

Well, it feels good to slowly be getting some pace back in me after the last couple years of PW after PW.  My splits on my Garmin were: 9:34, 9:18, 9:13, 9:16, 9:08, 9:20, 9:16, 9:22. 9:18, 9:07, and then 0:36 for the last .07  I guess I did some zigging and zagging or took some of the turns too wide.  But .07 isn't too bad.

Pizza and beer at the finish (among other things) and I just took a batch of peanut butter cookies out of the oven for a mid afternoon snack.

King of PhotoShop

So glad you did this race, had an unexpected great finish time and enjoyed it.  That's what racing is for.  Nice job Dave. Spareribs

Mike E

MM #5615

Excellent job, Dave!

Happy Birthday Ribs!!

Looking great Holly, green hair and all! I am glad you posted about clicking on the photo! I was looking and looking at first and thought wow, it really has been a long time since I've seen you!

Way to go Dave and it sounds like you had fun. You too Maraposai---a nice long run and then some floating

3 hours and 20 minutes of trails up in the Mt. Skinner Park in Hadley and then over onto the Seven Sisters range. Hips and knees are barking a bit as these trails are fairly technical, so running, jumping, skipping, climbing, and some shuffling...all good and with a group of folks who are far more trail savvy than I am, so I just followed. Tired but happy now.

Steely Dan! Very Cool. Also know Taj and a street near super granny is named for him in fact.

wildchild

Carolyn

Greta racing, Dave!  Congrats on hitting your A goal!

Holly, you've got to be the smallest Hulk ever!  Glad you and Renee and Tara had fun at the race.

I planned to do a trail run with some of my ultra friends this morning, but last night my DH wasn't feeling well and said he might need my car to go to an urgent care center today.  (We're down to one working vehicle at the moment.)  But this morning he felt better, so he didn't need the car after all.  I had already missed the run, though, since we were planning to start early.  Oh, well, I went and ran 13 miles in the local state park.  Very steep and technical trails today, so it took 3.5 hours.

I was a roadie for Taj Mahal when he did a concert at U. of PA in the 70s.  My DD is in her 20s and knows who he is, too, because we had a CD of kids songs that he did.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Jay, nice 10K with 1st walker.  Dave, it was nice to see you Thurs at the expo and again today before the race.  Thanks for the picture and well done in your race.  tet, sorry to hear about the sore shoulder.  Holly, great 10K and green hair picture.  ribs, happy birthday.

Nice long runs for CNY, pfriese, and marj.

My Crim was not spectacular but I was satisfied.  I was definitely concerned about doing it but signed up anyway with low expectations.  When the registration form asked for a predicted finishing time for corral placement, I put down 2 hours.  I ended up finishing within seconds of 2 hours.  My Garmin gave me a time of 2:00:04, distance of 10.12 miles (I weaved more than Dave), and a pace of 11:55.  I had to make a porta potty stop in the 4th mile, making that mile 15:17).  If I eliminate that mile and time from my race, I did 9.12 miles at an 11:29 pace.  I never felt bad and was not bothered by the hills that Dave mentioned.  I can't say I like them but I run enough hills in my training runs that the Crim hills are not a big issue.  In spite of the large number of people, I saw several people other than Dave that I know.  Now that it's in the past, I'm glad I did it.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good Job Dave and Tom in the Crim, especially the fun part.
                      It doesn’t get much better, . . . except when you can supplement the running part with some jumping, skipping, climbing, shuffling and maybe even some bounding.
                      Got my dusty 1990 Canondale road bike down off the garage ceiling for a titular four mile pre-tri test ride for tomorrow’s super-sprint (0.25/12/3.1miles) but just the same old rattling from the pedal crank except when I got the four miles to where I was going, I realized I didn’t have the key to get in where I was going so not only had to ride the four miles back again to where I was coming from so I could get the keys to get into where I was going but thereafter had the same return four miles from where I was coming from in the first place to where I was going.  oh well.
                      That’s 12 miles cycling for the year. However, add it to tomorrow’s bike leg in the Lake Meridian Super-Sprint Triathlon and it still won’t even be as many miles as in the 25 mile denise’s covering tomorrow in her Olympic aka “Standard” aka “International” Distance Tri.  whew.

ps - good job too posie and wild.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Well, tet...you might as well have a sore butt to go with your sore shoulder, tomorrow.  I thought you knew better than to train for these events...but good luck...I know you'll have fun.

Marathon Maniac #957

Great racing Dave and Tom!

Carolyn - glad your DH is feeling better.

I checked the race results and my chip time was slightly better than I had thought - 54:45.  This is still a pretty slow time compared to the real racers, though, so I was very surprised to see that it earned me 3rd place out of 17 in my AG (40-49), 12/56 female and 31/93 OA. I guess the humidity slowed everyone down a bit.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."