Masters Running

The Sunday Daily, 10.14.12 (Read 361 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all.

I'm glad to read that you are continuing to make progress on your return to running, Henry! Your body id doing a good job of reminding you not to overdo it with too much speed.

I hope Tri-bee had a wet suit for that 5-mile swim yesterday. Good for her for just making the distance, which is miles beyond my capability! Seems that you had a good run, Tramps, with some nice wildlife sightings.

Welcome back, C-R! Nice run for you yesterday too.

I'm sorry that Riblet had an off day yesterday. I hope the rest of the Ribs (plus RP) have good runs today.

Nice run for you too, TomS.

Nice half marathon training run, RCG, and great POTUS interaction - very cool!

Congrats on being able to race yesterday, Mariposai, and on your AG hardware! Nice!

Tammy, congrats to David on his PR, and you for a good race on little training, and to both of you for your door prizes.

I got a bit of a late start this morning, getting up at 4:15, and out the door at 4:45. It was 43F, drizzling with (according to the weather channel) a light 4mph breeze from the SE. They were a little off on the wind speed - when I got down to the ocean, every flag was straight out, and some road signs were twisting back and forth and clanging in the 'breeze.' Luckily, I was headed north, and so had a tail wind for miles 3-8. When I turned back, I headed inland a bit where the wind was buffered somewhat by trees and houses, but the rain had intensified by that point, so it didn't much matter. I went 13 miles, and was soaked to the bone by the time I got back. My post-stretch hot shower felt great!

Enjoy your Sunday - I hope it is drier and less breezy there than here.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Hello from sunny warm cold and cloudy Amsterdam!  The weather has been just awful.  Fortunately, jet lag has kept us from noticing by dropping us to sleep it seems 24/7 for the past day an a half.  Our friends, the wife of which is also coming to run the marathon, just arrived at the airport.  My guess is they will arrive at the apartment the four of us are renting for the week, climb a set of stairs narrower and steeper than you have ever seen, semi-unpack and crash.  Then my DW will go out and get dinner.  Oh what fun!  Smile  Not like when we were in our 20's and could fly across several time zones and then run around just like we had just left the house.  Better as they say then the alternative!

With my limited connection time here in Europe I am going to have to do with that and leave the various shout outs to a later time.  My apologies for not acknowledging all of our racers and others healing up.  In the latter category that would include me!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...twocat//.........need to know TheBestBeer in Amsterdam........

==========

30-min trailrun CA

the Geese

actually chased off a guy hanging around my car.

perhaps they're trainable.

.........NoPain........so the PT might be working (I hope)

............................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TwoCat, we all know what you mean about traveling getting harder on us as we age.

Good to hear that the PT is working, TW.

With the overnight rain, I had written off going to the club run this morning, but when I went out to get the paper at 6AM and it was in the 60s -- 20+ warmer than any morning last week -- I knew I couldn't pass up a run in shorts while it was still doable. So a warm & humid 6 miles with a friend from the club along the Paint Creek Trail. I also spotted Perchcreek just going out as we were getting back; he must have slept in this morning.

Now to torture myself by watching the Lions, but at least that's followed by the Tigers' 2nd game.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

aka FlyingFinn

Hi all.

Beautiful day to be on the towpath today: sunny, warm and breezy. We saw one Great Blue Heron, lots of turtles on logs, and a small black duck-type bird I haven't identified yet. It will bug me until I do. (Perky white tailfeathers; it bobbed its head when it swam like it was trying to pop a balloon in front of it)

5 miles on the path then on the way home I asked DH to pull over so I could jump out and do a few hills to add a couple extra miles.

DS1 is coming over later for fencing practice and dinner.

Enjoy the gifts of the day!

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

evanflein

Have fun in Amsterdam, Twocat! When DH and I were there we had pretty good weather, but it was cool. Would love to run there... Also, sleeping too much at first is a good way to delay getting used to the time zone change. Get right on schedule and get to bed early (local time) and you'll adapt faster. DH and I also used to go to the gym for a good workout as soon as we got wherever we were going and that helped, too.

How did Tri-bee do? I don't remember seeing any followup.

Enjoy that warm day in October, Roch. Those days are a gift the later it gets. 

Paavo, we had a grouse in our yard this morning, but when I went to get my camera it had taken off somewhere. They usually sit in my crabapple tree really really still, thinking we can't see them. Stupid birds.

We had SNOW last night! Of course, that's not unusual for us, and is actually about 10 days late. Just a light dusting, but it's been pretty chilly lately so the ground is cold enough it just might stick. Figures, I was going to try a test run today. I guess yesterday was a rest day. That's what you call it when you sit around on your butt all day and eat, right? Roll eyes

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings from the Huntersville Coin Laundry.  In the middle of yet another 2 week stay in NC and getting all the work clothes clean for next (this?) week.

in terms of priority, I got out this morning on another of the "Greenways" around Charlotte and had a very nice run.  6.8 miles at almost exactly 10M/M pace.  and then about 2/3 mile cooldown on a boardwalk out into a wetlands area.  Neat spot--I saw 2 great blue herons, a couple ducks (important, since it was Mallard Creek Greenway Wink Wink and some evidence of beavers.  this is as long as i've gone in quite a while, so very happy.  just wish I could get a little more in during the week. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

(((Twocat and wife)))  Hope you get used to the time zone quickly.

Erika and Carolyn - snow!  Bummer!  I'm not ready for that stuff yet...

Did my HM this morning.  I have to tell you, I have never felt LESS like going to a race.  Absolutely no mojo - I have no idea why.  3 beers at the pigroast yesterday shouldn't have been enough to contribute.  I think maybe just mental malaise, slight depression, hormones, perimenapause or something.  But I literally had to FORCE myself out of bed to go to this local race! 

I was so glad I did.

It turned out to be a lovely day, partly cloudy and warm, 62-69 degrees for the race (okay maybe a bit too warm), with 25-35mph winds (okay, maybe a bit too windy), but other than that, a beautiful day.  The wind was mostly behind and crossing us on the first half, against us the second half, and I mean a positively BRUTAL head wind the last 4 mles.  I literally felt like I was standing still struggling against the wind.  I had a suprisingly good race going up to that point, but those last 4 miles ranged from 9:11 to 10:00, and not because my legs were toast, either, I just couldn't make better headway.

Still, not bad, 1:55:26.  I think, though, that the race was a bit short - other runners had it between .1 and .4 mile, mine said .31 short, and every mile marker was way off.  Someone said that we were directed the wrong way somewhere early in the race and lost about a quarter mile.  Bummer for those who were hoping for PR (and for the poor RD), but for me, just out for a tough training run, I didn't mind.  It as a very good run for me, so much better than I expected when I dragged myself to it, and I'm so grateful I didn't listen to those demons and stay in bed......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

5 miles swimming???  Oh my.  TriBee should be renamed TriFish.

Holly, that's a good HM.  You did well.  BTW, I'll get back with you soon about Bayshore next spring.  Not sure yet.

Tammy, David has found his niche.  He is a talented, young runner.

I did my Sprint Triathlon this morning.  I took 2nd AG.  The 1st place guy in my AG was super fast and ended up 19th overall.  So I am happy as I gave it all I had and beat 3rd place by over 4.5 minutes.  Oddly enough, other than the run which I did at 7:52 pace today, everything else was a bit slower than my Sprint Tri in July on the same course.  But it's all good.  During the July race I struggled on the run so I may have overcooked the bike.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  I'm really sorry I haven't been posting much lately...this new job of mine is just sucking the life out of me.  If wasn't for being able to sneak on here during the day, I'd really go nuts.

Before I forget--Jay--everytime you tell us about seeing a skunk, I always want to tell you that in all my life I have never seen a live skunk. I've seen plenty of dead ones on the roads and I've smelled many more, but I've never seen one.  Well, last Wednesday, I saw one!  I was running along and spotted it up ahead...he spotted me and rasied his tail...I got my tail out of there as quick as I could.  Anyway--I thought of you, right away. 

This has been a really crazy week for running.  I got lost on Wednesday and ended up doing 12.2 instead of 10.  And then, on Friday, I set out to do a 10 miler.  As I went by a bar at the 5.8 mile mark, I noticed some guys from work were in there and stopped to say hi and maybe have a quick one.  Yep--you guessed it--I got a ride home after spending a couple hours and drinking 4 beers.  I felt really silly there in my shorty-short running shorts. 

So, yesterday, I was eating breakfast with the high school cross country team after running with them and I get a phone call from the mom of one of the guys on Ryan's cross country team.  She told me about how her husband just found out this week that he has testicular cancer.  He's having surgery on Monday and will be starting chemo treatments right after.  He was signed up for a half marathon in 2 weeks and, since he knows he won't be able to do it then, he decided that he was going to run the course on Sunday--which is today.  She was telling me this because she was trying to get as many people as she could to come to the finish line and cheer for him as he finished.  Well, I went ahead and ran it with him.  His son from my son's cross country team drove home and surprised him, this morning.  So, I joined him and his two sons on the run.  (By the way--I made sure it was okay that I ran with them--I didn't want to go if he would have rather just run with his sons)  Anyway...last year he did this race in 1:43.  This year, we finished it in 1:33:13.  Okay--here's the really cool part--somehow, the race officials found out about it and came to the finish line with a banner and presented him with his medal and finishers' jacket.  It was really a very cool scene to watch as his family and friends surrounded him with so much love and support. 

Okay--I guess that's it.  I have to get ready to go to bowling, now.

King of PhotoShop

Thanks Jay.  Hi Twocat.  Holly, I can't get under 1:50 at that distance since the surgery.  You did well.  Closest I came was 1:50:30 last December.

Roch, the Tigers are playing well. I rooted for the A's against them since the A's knocked us out, but the Tigers are sure tough, and it's nice to have Verlander huh?

So today my RP and I went to White Rock Lake and we sort of paced SpareTire to his longest ever run of 9.4 miles. He was huffing over that last mile but he got it done.  So proud of him.

This morning my sister Suzanne sent me this photo from my BIL Joe's memorial service. I hadn't seen it before.  Left to right are my older sister's son, my older brother's daughter, Joe's son Joey, whom many of you know, and my son Prime Rib:

I'm so pleased that the cousins all get along so well and enjoy each other's company.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Ribs - what a great picture!

Byll - 2nd AG - well done!

Mike - what an awesome thing to do! I love how so many made it happen - very touching.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Bushrat Runner

Feel like a wimp, haven't got out the door this weekend. But the weather has been pretty foul, even by our standards...here's the current report text:

PAKN 141854Z 36022G31KT 1SM -SN BLSN FEW007 BKN035 OVC050 M04/M06 A2902 RMK AO2 PK WND 36035/1756 SLP827 P0001 T10441061

The translation...

Wind from the north at 22 knots gusting to 31 (so that is like 25 mph gusts 36)

Visibility 1 statute mile

Light snow, blowing snow

Few clouds at 700 feet broken clouds 3500 feet, overcast at 5000 feet

Temperature minus 4 celsius dewpoint minus 6 (24F, 21F)

That sort of wind in the winter is unfriendly, especially while it is snowing.

There, my whine for the day.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Another fun Sunday Daily to read!

Nice races for Holly and Reger!

Great photo of Ribs Relatives.

Wonderful wildlife sightings from Michigan, Ohio, and Alaska!

Well trained goose, tomwhite.

Twocat is adapting to Amsterdam. Good luck and run well.

Today was another beautiful day!  Ralph and I took Veta for a walk in New Quarter Park. We went Bruster's for ice cream after that. Milkbone and vanilla ice cream for Veta!

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Bushrat Runner

I'm always amazed by those of you that manage to keep track of what everybody says and respond in one post. Amazing and well done, I'm pretty poor in that arena myself. 

But I did want to say to Mike E...well done. 

Jay...nothing beats a hot shower after a rain run. The flags straight out...fun...

And to Holly...that is serious wind, I run in those conditions here but it definitely slows you way, way down. 

When I'm not being a wimp (see above) I like to get out on the horrible days and imagine all the wimps (like me today) that are letting a little weather get in the way of their training, while I'm out there getting stronger...