Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 5.2.14 (Read 40 times)

Good  Morning, Left, Right, and Midsters -

Lots of folks racing this weekend.  Good luck, but most importantly - Have fun!!

Aamos - Can't wait to hear about your first 50k.  Is the bird running with you?   What decision did you end up making about hydration (pack, extra bottles, etc.)?

Ave of Giants Folks - Drive safe.  The roads you'll be on are windy (is that "windy" or "windy") and beautiful - - and we grow some stupid people here in NorCal.  BTW - What time do folks anticipating arriving?  Tamster's around 4:00.  I'm trying to figure out when to start heading that direction Saturday.  Although Mike and Sue are already there or getting there today.

Ribs posted on FB that his blood count isn't where they want it, so he's gonna be in the hospital a little while longer.  I told him it was a conspiracy, that everyone is so taken with him, they don't want to let him go.

Byll - You know what the Bible says about gluttony.  Just sayin' . . . .

az2 - So you're a trail runner, huh??  Well from one trail runner to another - WELCOME!  We need more of us around here.  Wildchild/Carolyn chews up the trails in CO and the surrounding states.  I take care of NorCal.  Tammy does some in SoOR.  Tet is a famous trail runner from all over the world.

Me - 8 miles this a.m. without my HR to see if I could  manage things without a gadget.  No.  I kept finding myself running too hard, which  means my legs are really tired now.  Stupid.  Although I AM going to use the excuse of some good strength training yesterday - for the tired legs, not the stupidity.

I got Shorty's invoices done last night in exchange for him baking cookies tonight for this weekend.  Fair trade.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Having met Bill and his lovely DW, I know what real, genuine and enjoyable people they are, so it's no surprise that there will be a special roast in your honor. I know you will be missed by your friends and your church family greatly. And soon you will plant your feet in your new community and form new wonderful friendships there.

Ha!  Got Tamster fooled too.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Aamos - Can't wait to hear about your first 50k.  Is the bird running with you?   What decision did you end up making about hydration (pack, extra bottles, etc.)?

I know you will rock it!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

T-minus 6 days and counting ...

Bill

Woo Hoo!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Welcome az2mntrail!!

1st brick of the season for me ....10.6 miles on my bike followed by a 2.2 mile run ... felt great!!

Heading out to dinner with 2 friends - I've known one since 2nd grade and the other since h.s. - we dont get together as often as we'd like but we are all still very close.

Tomorrow decided to run a 5k in Haverhill, MA for another point in my running group series then heading up to Old Orchard Beach, Maine.  We are putting our camper up at the campground for the entire season this year.  We've never done that before and I am really looking forward to it!!

Have a wonderful weekend my friends!!

denise

C-R

Busy in here today. A late run for me after being on the phone from 9 am - 2 pm with only one 5 minute break. DD thinks I have the coolest job. Conference calls aren't the greatest but what the hey......

Amy - I got my BQ at my local Carmel Marathon. The start line is 2.5 miles from my front door and we run my normal running routes. Home field advantage has its perks.

Welcome az2. I expect Ribs will be collecting all proper membership fees upon his return. So post often and get the biggest bang for your buck. 

Speaking of Ribs. I saw he posted in FB. Haven't had a chance to read but seeing him active on the technology was nice.

Well. Back to work and catch up on everything I couldn't do because and to quote DD - you and your business friends sure do like to talk a lot.

Cheers.

MTA- have fun racers AOTG gets-togetherers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Sayhey! MM#130

Tammy!  Believe me, I was praising the MAriners for that series.  Glad you got to see some good baseball!  Now go pack!

Starr...oofda!  we got us a Minnesotan!  So az2, I used to live in South Dakota.  We must know each other, right?   Or that seems to be what the rest of the country thinks!  Welcome.  I am off to a trail run this weekend.  Wish me luck, even though we just met.  I need it.   You have impressive numbers there.  Post often, early and late.

Note, will not "rock" this thing, just hope to finish (tet, stop jinxing me ).

Oink, Pigsters!  Don't forget the photos, Holly!  Bleck as to your depo with the feuding family.  Sounds dredful.  You'll be able to run it out.

Leslie, you're so kind to ask, and it's a big weekend out there!  I got a waist belt with a slanted bottle that fits in the back.  I used it Saturday on the 22 miler; it was heavy at first, but I managed (it encouraged me to keep drinking, to make it lighter.)

C-R, Carmel, CA, right?  I saw SLO started a marathon; that's not too far, either, or am I messed up geographically?  So gald I get to meet you! ( I made my room reservation for Boston today.)

Bryllie, good luck packing.  How about leaving us with a youtube of the Easter solo?  C'mon, pretty please???

Deez, have fun at your 5K; cool training you're doing.

grins,

A

ps: Simon  is so NOT running with me.  Love him, but that only goes so far.    He does say "Hola!" and this race does have a Cinco de Mayo theme--something like Margueritas and Mud or somesuch.....and of course, it is supposed to rain tomorrow.  Getting used to racing in the rain.  (Loved that book:  The Art of Racing in the Rain).

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

C-R

C-R, Carmel, CA, right?  I saw SLO started a marathon; that's not too far, either, or am I messed up geographically?  So gald I get to meet you! ( I made my room reservation for Boston today.)

Oh I sometimes wish that were the case. I miss the ocean. Living in Hawaii will do that you. But alas, it is Indiana. A burb north of Indianapolis. It is a very very nice place. WHEN WE DON'T HAVE POLAR VORTEXES AND SNOW UP TO ONE"S EYEBALLS.

Sorry about that. I'm still a bit traumatized from last winter. 

Slo and I met at Tecumseh trail marathon about 1.5 hours south of here. That was a great and please don't believe him if he tells you I brought enough beer for everyone that finished. I usually only bring enough for 6 or 7 people when I run a marathon.

And yay. I get to meet someone new in here IRL.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

This kid is amazing.  Has absolutely nothing to do with running.  However, the haircut leaves a bit to be desired.  I'm assuming there's a face under all that.  Which reminds me - the other day a kid was walking toward me, slung his head to the right to get his hair to swing that direction, then proceeded to walk with a tilt to keep it there.  I was trying not to giggle, then I realized I was just jealous of his gorgeous hair.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tammy, I haven't started packing either.  Not that I need much for a 4 day trip.  Looking forward to meeting you!  And I'm looking forward to meeting Leslie & Shorty, and Henry & Marj, and to seeing Mike and Sue R. again.

I wish I was coming too - it would be great to see Henry and Marj again and meet the rest of you nice people. I hope you all have a great weekend. And Holly? Have fun with the Twocat family. Good luck to all who are running on Sunday.

Nice to know Ribs is doing well. I hope you made it home today. Soooo much better sleeping in your own bed than at the hospital, and your nurse is much prettier!

Welcome aZ2! This is an awesome group of people. You'll like it here.

Last day of a very long week. After working until 11:00 AM, I had a 45 minute session with my favorite Y trainer. I had nothing left after that one. Two sets of 50 situps on an incline bench holding a 10 lb. weight. Ouch! I've been used to getting up first thing in the morning and running on an empty stomach. Now, trying to run after work with no fuel is not working well. Can anyone offer some suggestions on how to get some energy? I've had stomach issues with running after eating in the past, but who wants to eat at 3:30 in the morning??

I met my DIL at Barnes and Noble yesterday with the 3 boys in tow. They were good picking out a book to buy until we went to the café to get a "treat". The chocolate chip cookie got split in half - one piece for Will and one piece for Ben. When Ben dropped a piece on the floor, both boys made a dive for it. Let's just say the results weren't pretty. Mom hauled them both out of the store, screaming and crying while Grandma sat with baby Nicholas. After a 5 minute timeout in the car, they came back in. Gotta give my DIL credit. She made them go to the counter and apologize to the staff for causing a commotion. Three boys age 4 and under? Can you imagine what happens when they turn into teenagers?!

Have a great weekend everyone.

evanflein

So az2, I used to live in South Dakota.  We must know each other, right?   Or that seems to be what the rest of the country thinks!

Yup, I get that a lot too. If you have a relative who lives somewhere in Alaska, or might have at one time, I must know them, too. Welcome az2! Nice to have another trail runner here. I love to run trails, but currently mine are too muddy/boggy/slushy still. Just a couple more weeks though!

Have fun all you racers this weekend! It's not often we have two gathering point events on the same weekend. I'll be running a 5k tomorrow morning and I'm actually a little nervous about it. How stoopid is that? I just suck at 5ks and I want to suck a lot less than usual on this one, so I've been trying to set myself up for a good race. Time will tell, right?

Aamos, you will rock that 50k without even working too hard, I'm sure. Have fun! It's really not a bad distance, especially if you pace yourself at the beginning which we all know you can do.

Thinking best thoughts for Ribs and the Saint. Hope he's home soon.

We hit 70° today! Woot! First time this spring! Looks like a fantastic weekend ahead.

Hi Jlynne! Your DIL handled that very well. And no, I can't imagine three. I had two and that was interesting enough.

Hey there az2MN, great to have another Minnesoootan here! I think there are four of us (one guy even without a snowblower!). I have lived in this SW MN prairie all my life and love it "Up North" with the pine trees, trails and many lakes.  We have more barns than trees here. This is the windiest place on earth, or so it seems. We are having the National Windsurfing Races here again in June for the third time.  Those will the calmest five days we will have all year .

Your PR's running in your 50's are really impressive to me, I can tell you are athletic. Me, not so much, just a wannabe runner. I want to be like Aamos when I grow up. Good luck in your ultra, girl, and that 5k too.

Not much going on here. I went to the Y and finished my six weeks worth of strength workouts. I do them myself, not with a trainer so am wondering if it would be better with one to push me. It seems kinda spendy.

I wish I was part of the group running The Avenue of the Giants, maybe next time. How about the Twin Cities? I'd really like to do the 10 mile on Sunday, October 4th. It is a lottery registration opening on July 9th. Tammy will be in town so maybe I will get to see her.

Good luck to the racers this weekend and have fun!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

King of PhotoShop

Hoping for red blood count to continue improvement. One more stick at 6 am and if it's good I go home.

SteveP

Steve - is that ice on the lake?

Yes. Today I was in Bill's new redneck of the woods and there were beautiful, small icebergs drifting along Little Traverse Bay as far as I could see. There was no good place to take a picture though.

Speaking of  which, Bill, St Ignatius Church is pretty cool. A customer told me to go to the end of the road and I could turn around. Then "Bam!". There's a church that's crazy old. You can expect to get some hill work in.

Welcome AZ!! A Michiganian trail rat here.

SteveP