Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 1.19.15 (Read 40 times)

TammyinGP

As a Hawks fan, I was a wee bit excited about the turn of events. I know everyone is saying the Packers played a great 50 minutes of football, but really they didn't if you look at the stats. Despite 5 turnovers, they failed to capitalize and get touchdowns on those turnovers. They played the majority of the game in the 30 yard zone and Seattle D kept them to mostly field goals, when they should have been getting TD's. yes, the Hawks and Wilson were not the Hawks we've seen all season, but the fact that the Packers did very little to capitalize on that shows that they really weren't playing as well as I think most people want to believe they were playing.  Now the Hawks cannot repeat what they did yesterday in the game against the Pats, or it'll look as one-sided as last years Superbowl.

went out for a 7 mile run today. coach gave me a more challenging schedule this week, so I was glad to get this long run done today. Tomorrow is rest.

Tammy

I am away at a conference and it just ended today.  My talk was this morning.  It might have gone okay.  What I did get out of it was some feedback to make the next presentation better and to make the paper I was talking clearer as well.  Yesterday I managed 9 miles on the TM before the conference's first session.  I quick thanks to my virtual running partner for calling and keeping my brain from total meltdown.  Since I am still sentient I plan to rectify that by trying to do another TM run tomorrow before my flight home!    If all future posts look like they are from a dribbling idiot you know I made it onto the TM.  Then again, maybe not!  

About GPS watches, my current gripe is that a HRM requires a chest band, which I hate.  I understand the current crop of wrist based HRMs are incredibly inaccurate but I imagine they are getting better at a pretty fast clip.  Anyone have any idea when we might see a good GPS watch that tracks HR without at chest strap?  Oddly, I see there are a couple of headsets (wired) that are apparently pretty accurate at tracking your HR.  Why would a headset taking readings around your ear be more accurate than one taking it from your wrist?  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Good question, Twocat. I also hate the chest straps. I wanted to check my HR a couple years ago when doing Equinox training. I was interested to see how high it got going up that hill. Well, I don't remember the results other than the bad chafing that thing gave me and I've never worn it since. Maybe I should try it again on some shorter hill runs.

I have an old 305 and I like it just fine but it sometimes takes forever to find a satellite lock. I'm ok with the battery except when it mysteriously has no battery power left after being on the cradle plugged in all night. Go figure. I'd get a new one or have this one refurbished, but they don't service/support them anymore. I've been noting what others say about theirs, and yes Dave59 has a good result when there are no regrets!

Good summary of the game, Tammy, for what I know of it. Just glad to see the Seahawks in the SB, since they're the closest thing to a home team for most Alaskans. You should post your schedule for the week. I bet I'm not the only one interested in what David has in store for you!

Had a good day today. Took DH to the office, then I went shopping, then came home and organized bills and the budget for the next couple of months. Did some filing. Cleaned out and straightened the cabinets in the laundry room (what the hell IS all that stuff??) and it's nice to have the organized and less crammed full of crap. Did stuff that you just don't have time to do most days. I love puttering around the house! Then I moseyed down to the treadmill and ran 7.1 miles while listening to a couple of Grammar Girl and Planet Money podcasts. May seem like odd treadmill accompaniments, but I like them and don't seem to ever hear them when not on the TM. Tomorrow is a rest day, first break in 2 weeks and I am ready for it!

Mariposai

Then I moseyed down to the treadmill and ran 7.1 miles while listening to a couple of Grammar Girl and Planet Money podcasts. May seem like odd treadmill accompaniments, but I like them and don't seem to ever hear them when not on the TM. 

I just added two new programs in my Podcast. Anyone else listens to podcasts while running? What is your favorite?

I did the same as Erika, a lot of homecaring (I really enjoy homecaring as well). I also spent a lot of time talking back and forth with my siblings about papa's health. This will be a new "me" for years to come. I just need to allocate plenty of time for cyber caring for my papa, which I gladly will do. We also spent a lot of time chatting with our son David, a Peace Corps volunteer in Macedonia via Skype. We are so grateful for modern technology.

14.5 miles today with the last 5 miles with the Easy Pacer. Gorgeous day here. I ran part of the Omak Orchards in Bloom course.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Anyone else listens to podcasts while running? What is your favorite?

Nope, never have,never will, especially if I could be running with you and DH sometime again.
            The only tune that reminds me of is
            listening to God in his spendor,
            hearing the text that nature renders.
            You’ll never hear it in the family pew,
            The simple things, the true things,
            the Silent Ones who do things,
            Then listen to the Wild, it’s calling you.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Whatever you're doing today, lets not lose sight of what today's holiday is all about.

Thanks jay.

Contrary to the warm reception President Kennedy received in November 1961 when he spoke at the University of Washington 100th anniversary convocation (if not frenzied by students who wanted to shake his hand, some for the second time <<<(lucky me)>>>, Martin Luther King’s speech also at the UW had preceded a week earlier when a local chuch withdrew their venue. It’s still a week that I will never forget.
              Sumo broadcasts are being pre-empted to another station by horrifying news and pictures counting down the impending live beheading of two Japanese journalists on You-tube in four hours. Like modern samurai with their tightened guts full of "ki" and brave, they bravely crouch over their knees on the sand, just blinking once in a while while a masked murderer standing proud in his power between them waves a knife over their heads. I can’t imagine Japanese tv showing it live too.  You-tube should be ashamed.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Now I just hope the 'Hawks play against the Pats the way they did in the first half against the Packers.  Go Pats.

Me too, . . . as long as it’s only in the first half, they can play any way they want to against the Patriots, . . . as long Pete Carroll and the Seahawks can somehow figure out a way to beat the game’s best coach Bill Belichick (who stepped in as Patriots coach when now-Seahawks coach Pete Carroll was dismissed in 1999) the same way they did to last year’s best quarterback who was supposed to crush us too.
                Fortunately, this time, the 40 minutes of mostly routine playing this year’s best quarterback was less than matched by a mediocre Seahawks performance too, but, fortunately, only for 36 minutes.
                Tammy - same overlooking happened in September 2012 when a controversal hail mary call in favor of the Seahawks masked outstanding defensive play including a record eight sacks against Aaron Rodgers just in the first half (Minnesota had eight in 2009 but it took all game long).
                http://www.charged.fm/blog/post/2905/how-seattles-defense-dominated-aaron-rodgers-and-the-packers
                I guess we know the feeling though: Superbowl 2006 had calls so bad against us that one of the offending officials belatedly apologize in 2010.  GO HAWKS!

SteveP

Nope, never have,never will, especially if I could be running with you and DH sometime again.
                  The only tune that reminds me of is
                  listening to God in his spendor,
                  hearing the text that nature renders.
                  You’ll never hear it in the family pew,
                  The simple things, the true things,
                  the Silent Ones who do things,
                  Then listen to the Wild, it’s calling you.

That is horrifying about the journalists.

SteveP

Singer who runs a smidge

Chiming in late in the game, to say there are folks in the B&B group using the TomTom Multisport with built-in HRM, no strap required.  I know nothing about it, but other runner reviews are good.

http://smile.amazon.com/TomTom-1RH0-001-01-Multi-Sport-Cardio-Black/dp/B00JD4TG2M/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1421770698&sr=1-2&keywords=tomtom+multisport

Linky

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.