Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 2.27.15 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

A chilling quote, TomW.

Holly - thanks. I know I can post even when I'm not working out; I also encourage other people to do that too. But if I do that too many days in a row, it just feels a little empty if I don't have anything to contribute on the subject matter of this forum. Meanwhile, congrats to DD on making the softball team!

MS, I'm glad your workouts yesterday made your VDD more bearable. Congrats on getting into the Master's program!!

Dave, I'm very glad for you that you've found someone who is helping resolve your long-standing back issues and that it is letting you feel like a runner again.

Good luck to Hudson at Trinity, Ribs. It seems he may be heading toward some tough but good choice to make.

Evanflein, my back issues have been minimized since I started doing more core work. As long as I keep it up, I feel pretty good, and I recover much more quickly when I overdo it. Meatloaf on a grill sounds delicious! Have a greta time at the formal gala!

Nice TM run, TSelbes.

6.3 RW predawn miles this morning, in about 9F temps. I worked, as I always seem to, on hip rotation and stride length this morning. Especially since I've been off the roads for a while, some attention to detail was good for me. We have our company's board of directors in for an all-day, off-site meeting today. Should be interesting...

Keep smiling and have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Great birthday cake yesterday Mariposai and happy birthday 2cat.

Another morning with the minus double digits staring at me.  I went to the gym and ran 5 on the treadmill.  The gym is just a mile from home and I have a game I play on the way home. As soon as I get in the car after a workout, the windows start fogging up. The game is to make it home before I lose all visibility.  I made it today.

The school funding measure passed on Tuesday.  SteveP does not have to worry about these taxes unless he moves to Midland.  I do expect them to name a school after me because of my support. It is the least they can do.

King of PhotoShop

What a lovely cake!

EK, we've been doing meatloaf out on the grill for quite some time and we think we have it down to a science.  We use soaked wood chips and put the lid on and it gets a delicious smoky flavor and crust.  Hope yours turned out great.

Snowing like crazy here and this is the weekend of Cowtown, so you can imagine all the hubbub.  it will likely turn out to be nothing.  I am far more concerned about our flight to San Antonio this afternoon and Hudson's day at Trinity.

5 miles in the park with the Saint today.  It was 29 and a bit windy so I wore a windbreaker, but otherwise okay.  Spareribs

Mariposai thank you for the birthday cake, sort of, picture of a cake actually.  Very nice anyway!  Amazing what you can find on the internet!  Who would put together a cake with two cats on it!?  Why?    Also thanks to Spareribs, evanfleinHolly S., and Dave59 for your good wishes as well.

evanflein how was the gala?  Did you make it through unchilled?  What was the gala for?

I put in a 10 mile run yesterday prior to going out to dinner.  We did not do a birthday cake.  Instead, when we got home I took a slice of the chocolate liquor banana bread I had made, topped it with some vanilla ice cream and then finished it up with some pecan praline liquor.  Yum!!  I tell you adult sundae's score way higher to the yummy scale than traditional ice cream parlor ones.  Just swap out the sweet sauce topping for a liquor.  Any number work really well.  Try Amaretto, Kahlua, Bailey's or a creme de menthe.  Experiment a little.  The results are almost always quite tasty!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

I took a slice of the chocolate liquor banana bread I had made, topped it with some vanilla ice cream and then finished it up with some pecan praline liquor.  

OMG, that sounds good....that cake Mariposai posted looked fabulous, too.  On the subject of sweets, DD brought something home from church that someone had made: in a muffin cup, cookie dough on the bottom, a mini Reese cup in the center, and then brownie mix for the top layer.  The end result was a ridiculously decadent muffin-cookie.  I took a bite and nearly fell out of my chair it was so good.  I told DD to NEVER get the recipe, as that item must be banned from my house forevermore.  I think my butt is getting bigger just thinking about it.....

Intervals on the TM for me today, just alternating one slow and two-minutes fast, nothing crazy, but since I have been feeling so sluggish of late, I was surprised to find that this felt pretty energetic.  I ended up doing a 1 mile WU, 3 miles of intervals, and then 5.7 miles after that because I got caught up in the movie I was watching - Warm Bodies - sort of a cross between Zombie Apocalypse and Twilight.  Call me shallow, but I actually enjoyed it.  I'm kind of sappy that way. 

9.7 miles total.

Since I work from home on Friday, I took the liberty of hitting the local running store for their annual half-price sale.  When I arrived at 10:30 the place was already mobbed.  Apparently there was a line at the door when the opened.  They did not have any of the Saucony Ride that I usually wear, but I bought a pair of Adidas Supernova Glide 6, whatever that is.  I almost never try different running shoes, and these are pretty darn ugly actually (grey with pale blue stripes), but they felt pretty good and the salesman said they were in the same category as the Rides, so I thought I would live dangerously and try something new.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Happy birthday, happy snow, happy cookie-muffins. Smile

We're within a biscuit-toss of our mini-break in Florida next week and the anticipation is wonderful and happy-making.

I got 5k outdoors yesterday - and I've finally lost count of the number 'x' as in, "I've only gone for 'x' continuous runs of 30' since before Christmas."  That's really good.  I'm still dead slow and the thought of double-digit mileage seems ludicrous, but at least I'm running consistently.

Today was a very fine swim and as soon as the water that is stuck in my ear evaporates, I'll celebrate that too.

King of PhotoShop

Well, here is the story.  Hudson was supposed to be in San Antonio tomorrow morning for this scholarship opportunity, but flights down there are being cancelled due to the snow and it doesn't look like we're getting out of here tonight at all.

Now as to Cowtown, they cancelled the planned races for tomorrow, and Sunday's events (Half, Full and Ultra) have been moved to an hour later start.  SR Lopez is doing the ultra at Cowtown I just learned!  As for me, I'm just pacing a friend the final 6 miles so I really have no skin in the game.  Just sitting here waiting on flight updates.  Spareribs

Dave59

Well, here is the story.  Hudson was supposed to be in San Antonio tomorrow morning for this scholarship opportunity, but flights down there are being cancelled due to the snow and it doesn't look like we're getting out of here tonight at all.

Now as to Cowtown, they cancelled the planned races for tomorrow, and Sunday's events (Half, Full and Ultra) have been moved to an hour later start.  SR Lopez is doing the ultra at Cowtown I just learned!  As for me, I'm just pacing a friend the final 6 miles so I really have no skin in the game.  Just sitting here waiting on flight updates.  Spareribs

I know this is Texas, but didn't you guys only get an inch of snow at the most?  Even Dallas airport should be able to handle that.

Based on my long, long 2 years in Houston and visiting both Dallas and San Antonio, those 2 cities can't be more then a 4-5 hour drive apart.  Get in your car and get a move on.

You're welcome for my thoughtful suggestions.

evanflein

You're welcome for my thoughtful suggestions.

Yes, I do really like Dave's posts.

Sal, I've got the same thing going with double digit runs. They seem like an extreme effort to plan and pull off. I can hardly remember doing regular mid-week runs of 10 and 11+ miles. Those qualify as long runs these days!

Gala is tonight. Apparently we're going home first to change, so I know we'll be a little late. Oh well. Who holds a gala on a workday starting at 6 pm?? It's put on by the Chancellor's office of the Fairbanks campus, and is a fund raiser for something... I should remember but I don't and I'm too lazy to look it up.

Plan was an afternoon run, but I've been swamped. It seems Fridays are my busiest days with one. thing. after. another. all. damn. day. Grrr.

New skirt in town

Hope all goes well at Cowtown this weekend, but it seems that the weather is throwing everything off kilter!

Elliptical day today!  A walk to the gym this AM (5:40 AM, sunrise coming up!  No snow!  3F never felt so lovely!), followed by 70 min on the elliptical.  Tomorrow, I'll run.

I was so sad to hear of Leonard Nimoy's passing today.  Ridiculously sad.  I think I'll go sit in the Mugar Omni theater at the Boston Museum of Science a few times just to hear his voice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLP4eX7Yf40

Boldly go, folks.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

wildchild

Carolyn

I was also sad to hear about Spock.  Run long and prosper, friends.

I did a double digit run today, 10 miles in the snow wearing my Kahtoola microspikes.  I like them! I've mostly been wearing screw shoes, but thought I'd try something different for a little excitement...    I bought the microspikes for trail running, and even though I ran on the dirt roads today, they worked well on the plowed packed snow.

Here's a handy table of prime numbers to plan your run tomorrow:

2      3      5      7     11     13     17     19     23     29 
                             31     37     41     43     47     53     59     61     67     71 
                             73     79     83     89     97    101    103    107    109    113 
                            127    131    137    139    149    151    157    163    167    173 
                            179    181    191    193    197    199    211    223    227    229 
                            233    239    241    251    257    263    269    271    277    281 
                            283    293    307    311    313    317    331    337    347    349

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

We're within a biscuit-toss of our mini-break in Florida next week and the anticipation is wonderful and happy-making.

Enjoy your happy-making weekend! You so deserve it. Ohh and congrats on your acceptance for your masters program. You go girl!

Erika, enjoy the gala. We can't wait to see pictures!

Dave59, you are right...start driving ohh wiseone! Can't wait to see where our stellar student ends up. HE is one bright and magnificent young man.

Holly, it makes me happy to read that you work from home on Fridays and that you can have an escape here and there. Great job on the speed work.

Speaking of speed work, I visited the track after work today, this is wrong, the ground should be full of snow around here Sad.). Anyway, speed working I did. 6x800m with 1' interval at an average of 3:56 each 800m. I am happy with the result.

Pizza dinner, here I come!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard