Masters Running

Sunny Saturday (Read 38 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Twisted ankles are down on my list of why I don't like trail running.  It would come after Lyme Disease, West Nile virus, and general pesky fly bites.  I'll just stick to the roads, thank you very much, where all I need to worry about are people texting & driving.

Seriously???   I just got home from a trail run, and I didn't twist my ankle or fall down, and there were no ticks or flies or mosquitoes - just gorgeous fields of wildflowers, and views of the snow-capped continental divide!

I'm not quite recovered from the race last weekend - my legs are still a bit tired.  But it's too nice a day to stay away from the trails, so I ran 7.2 miles.

Mike, I sure wish I was fast enough to do back-to-back long runs of only 3 and 4 hours for training!  My long runs take more like 6-8 hours.  Of course, that's on steep trails at altitude, but it's good training for a trail race.  Do you have trails to train on?

Holly, Happy Birthday to your DD!  Hope the party and the egg hunt are fun!

Norm, congrats to your speedy son!

tselbs, congrats on finishing 10 miles!   So you were the hare running with the tortoise, but the tortoise passed you when you took a nap?  I think that's how the story goes...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

I had breakfast with Cindy this morning.  Our newish Saturday routine as we continue to get to know each other after the kids left last year.

I love this.  I admit that I worry a bit about what DH and I will talk about when the kids leave - I spend so much of my time with them, and, well, I love their company.  It will be an adjustment.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Quite the pitchers' duel over in the Big Apple......reading and keeping track of y'all but can't look away too long to post, plus I need my fingers as I am of course biting my nails.      

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Yeah, about the woman today, and her first trail run..... I was a bit incredulous....but then again no one (esp. women) likes being out there alone, and she said she is very directionally challenged, even with a map - a map I offered to her several times, with colourful route markings on it.  And add to that.....she is recently transplanted from Boston!!, where she says there really are no "trails" to run...  so maybe a city slicker is just getting used to the way it is out here??

I always know which way the sun sets, even when it is dark and rainy.  I know I can last a certain amount of time without water too.  I would rather run with bugs and wet and roots and rocks than teenagers texting.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

This morning we biked to a local freebee run in Cambridge (popsicle sticks for placement at the end), I ran the 2.5 miles and Henry sat in the shade (having run lots the last 3 days) and then we biked home after stopping for coffee and cake (so it took us more then 5 minutes to get hungry!)

I know this race!

Thanks for all the good wishes - today was a slow and relaxed 2 miles - bliss

Mariposai is organizing another run-together???

Congrats on Ribs and The Saint running a race!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Seriously???

me too.  I've been running trails all my life, even from before I knew it was running and have never twisted an ankle or other injury at all except an enke-like bloody shin once on the same Cougar Mountain and getting knocked out there too when I banged my head at high speed in the middle of a zig-zagging descent on a fallen snag I didn’t see leaning across the trail because I run in thongs and have to pay careful attention to all the rocks, roots and erratics on the trail to avoid ripping, tearing or breaking them in the middle of nowhere. . No wonder I love trail running so much, to say nothing of all the great scenery, . . .  even when there isn’t any. <<<(goddesses/goddesses)>>>

ps - though it was named Mt. Marathon, a three mile fun run was the only time I ended up in the hospital (along with other runners too) when a steep glacial giissade on the upper reaches of the mountain.ended up with considerable quantities of skree embedded into the prime sliding surface.  Ouch.

==================

thanks and a tip o' the trail runners' hat to enke.

yep, that's way better than mine was.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

I

Mariposai is organizing another run-together???

Yes, a relay team this time. Lamerunner, Robin, Twocat, deez4boys, milktruck and other are already in the team. It would be fantastic if others can join us as well.

Here is info about the relay.

http://nh.rtbrelay.com/

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Wow Deez! You got to go run run run a lot!! Be careful with Maria. Little kids will take your toys and they get ice cream first.

The egg hunt sounds like so much fun. The fireworks are not fun at all. They are very scarey.

Boy, during the week, I think about all kinds of things I want to come on here and talk about, and now I can't think of anything.

Dad is just like that!! He needs more naps and belly rubs.

C-R, that is fast fast fast.

(((((Remi))))) sorry about your B-A-T-H. 

Take me for a bye bye ride, Holly!! Leave the window down. I will be good.

Dave, when you go run run run on the roads, you have to have a leash!!

It's OK to get lost sometimes Enke. Me and Dad find some very nice stuff when we get off of the trails. Somethings are fun to roll in too.

Finally!! Me and Dad went run run run!!Dad has been very slow. Now I have more time to find citters and get 'em get 'em. We went up and down lots and lots of hills. There were lots and lots of big trees down and nice flowers all over. Some trees Dad could go over. A couple he could go under. Lots of them he had to go around. One bunch of trees, he had to squeeze through.

I'm not sure what the big deal is about the flowers. They don't smell like ice cream or critters. I can't chase them. And Mom and Dad don't let me chew on them.

Dad had water for me, but I kept going in the river for drinks. Next to the river, there was a slimy little critter sitting there. It jumped way far and startled me and I jump way back! It went in the river and went run run run under water. Then it's little head popped up and it floated down the river. I went to go see what it was and it went  under some more. I decided it wasn't really that interesting and Dad started back down the trail again.  Two times deers jumped up by us! I went to get 'em get 'em too! Of course Dad gets all scared and calls me back. Really Dad, deers need to run run run too.

We went down the trail some more and there were even more trees on it. Dad looked at the thing on his wrist that goes "beep" and said, "forget this" and we went run run run back.

Mr White, A long long time ago, Claire asked what my favorite toy is. The best toy ever is called a "pancake". Mom or Dad mix up a soup that looks like melted ice cream. Then they pour it in a pan. After a little bit, they turn it over. And then it turns into a cake!!! Amazing!! Dad puts some in the part of the refrigerator that keeps the ice cream safe. After a long long time. Mom and him take it out and the play catch with each other. I go run run run back and forth until Mom drops it. Then Dad chases me like I am a critter and wants it back!

Sniffing Butts, Tag

Dave59

I love this.  I admit that I worry a bit about what DH and I will talk about when the kids leave - I spend so much of my time with them, and, well, I love their company.  It will be an adjustment.

We didn't much of anything together for years. Then when it looked like we would have the house to ourselves, Annabelle came along for 5 years.  Now its sort of just kind of slowly working out.  We go to dinner a couple times a week, plus the Saturday breakfast and grocery shopping.

Dave59

Seriously???   I just got home from a trail run, and I didn't twist my ankle or fall down, and there were no ticks or flies or mosquitoes - just gorgeous fields of wildflowers, and views of the snow-capped continental divide!

Come to Michigan some day and I'll let you see what flies are like.  I took my kids hiking once and there were so many bugs and flies they have never gone outside again.

Fletch

By the way Fletch and Irishguy, Jersey Mike's not only makes a great sub, they are also a client of mine. Support the people who do business with you I say!

Very cool, ribs. They also are one of my clients (at least locally).