Masters Running

3.5.13 Tuesday Daily (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Nice sproinky training run yesterday, Mariposai. Yep, you're crazy - but so are the rest of the riders on this bus!

Happy vaca/stayca, Lyndenrunner!

Congrats on the pending sale, Mainerunnah. I hope it all goes smoothly. Good luck with your hunt in FL - watch out for sinkholes!

Great phamily shot, Ribs!

I'm glad you're enjoying your Boston training, Denise. Keep up the good work.

Isn't it nice, Slo, when taking the time and putting in the effort to take care of injuries pays off? Glad you are getting back to your ole' self!

Whildchild, your runs/elevations constantly impress/terrify me. You are amazing!

Nice hill work fro you too, OM.

Sorry about the mc, Holly. I hope you find a good resolution.

Twocat, I hope you can keep things moving in the right direction. Meanwhile, nice "p-f" 25K!

Mike, it sounds like your physical was mostly eventless, which is how you want 'em to be - congrats.

Arf, glad you enjoyed the getaway, despite the return in a blizzard. Seems that you got home safe, which is what counts.

5.4 racewalking miles at 4:05 this morning. 30F with a significant WNW breeze. The best part of today's workout is that I kept up a decent tempo pace, and the workout was mostly painless. Now, several hours later, I'm still feeling OK, so I'm hopeful that things are improving. But I'm also not getting ahead of myself, and will wait to see how the rest of the day goes, and how I'll feel if I can get in another workout tomorrow morning.

Happy Tuesday!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Another good morning from New England.  Nice to see you on the start again Jay--all is right with the world.  And your hip, which sounds great.

4 miles this morning and this time I did get the last mile faster.  I'm pleasantly surprised at how easy some of these feel these days.  Hope it continues.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

I'm an idiot!  Go ahead...call me an idiot.  I've been waiting until 10:00, my time (CST) to sign up for the Light at the End of the Tunnel Marathon because registration opens at noon PST.  No!  CST is 2 hours ahead of PST!  I have to wait until 2:00!  I adjusted my schedule and everything to be at my desk at 10:00.  I'm such an idiot!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

But you're our idiot, Mike.  So that's all that counts.  And aren't you happier to be too early than too late?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

So, this bus that we are on . . . exactly what kind of bus is this? and what length is it? Joking

i posted last night's run on yesterday's thread, even though i'm posting today. i'm sure I broke a rule somewhere. Do I get my own special bus then for rule breakers?

calves were already sore yesterday, so nothing like a 10K tempo run to work out the soreness. . . . sort of. I think the calf massage I'm getting friday will be more helpful though.

rest day today. i've already run almost 25 miles in the past 4 days, so it's probably the right thing to do.

had a bad dream last night about my June relay. I'm the captain of my team and it was like one of those "show up for college class on the last day when you have your final" type of dreams.  We all showed up at the starting line for relay and I realized that I hadn't split up teams in the two vans yet, hadn't calculated paces, hadn't come up with a team name and hadn't assigned legs to each runner yet. nothing like waking up in a panic and then coming to my senses and realizing that I still have 3.5 mos to work on this. But I think that dream is telling me I better get cracking on some of these things.

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

Quick in and out before I fly off to Pittsburgh today for an overnight.

4.4 easy miles on the dirt.  Misjudged the temps and almost froze. It was 80 here yesterday.  TX is strange.  Spareribs

Slo

No run today...a little core work out and some time on the spinner.

Tramps

Interval day a la Hansons.  3x2miles/w 800.  10.6 miles total. Felt like I was flying out there today.  You just never know.

We're right on the rain/snow line for tonight.  Could be 2 inches, could be 12.  Should be interesting.

Be safe. Be kind.

New skirt in town

Interval day a la Hansons.  3x2miles/w 800.  10.6 miles total. Felt like I was flying out there today.  You just never know.

We're right on the rain/snow line for tonight.  Could be 2 inches, could be 12.  Should be interesting.

Me too!  I'm following the Hanson's plan as well, but with my recent vacation, my plan is a little off kilter.  I did 8.4 miles total, with 400m repeats.  I always dread interval days, but then I feel so great when it's done!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Tramps

Me too!  I'm following the Hanson's plan as well, but with my recent vacation, my plan is a little off kilter.  I did 8.4 miles total, with 400m repeats.  I always dread interval days, but then I feel so great when it's done!

--Robin

Cool!  I'm up to the "strength" intervals, so the pacing is pretty modest; slower than real tempo but faster than MP.  And breaking it up makes it very doable.

Is this your first time on Hanson?  What do you think?  I'm actually doing a home-made hybrid with a little more mileage and more long runs and a couple of races thrown in.  Jury's still out for me.  I guess we'll see on race day!

Be safe. Be kind.

Holly, belated congrats to your daughter and her team on their undefeated season.  maine, I hope the news you get fri about your shoulder leads to a cure.  ribs, great family picture  maine, that's good news about selling your apartment.  Slo, good luck with the knee problem.

Nice long runs for evan, wild, OM, Twocat, and Tramps (with speedwork).  Good job on the speedwork for DrRobin.

This morning, it was about 20° and almost calm.  I got in 8 miles at a 10:48 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

New skirt in town

Cool!  I'm up to the "strength" intervals, so the pacing is pretty modest; slower than real tempo but faster than MP.  And breaking it up makes it very doable.

Is this your first time on Hanson?  What do you think?  I'm actually doing a home-made hybrid with a little more mileage and more long runs and a couple of races thrown in.  Jury's still out for me.  I guess we'll see on race day!

This is my third time using Hanson's program, and I just love it.  I find that with the long run topping out at 16-17 miles, I'm much better able to function for the rest of the day.  I can get that done and then bring my son to karate class, play games, etc, and not feel wiped out for the rest of the day.  This is important to me because, with an 8-year-old at home, the weekend days are the days I get to spend the most time with him!

The mid-week mileage is much tougher, though, but I find that I'm better able to do the repeats and the tempo runs because I'm not sort of wrecked by the long run.  I've never before been able to manage tough 8-9 mile mid-week runs before this program.  My weekly mileage is significantly higher (lots of 50+ mile weeks, maybe one 60+ mile week) than I've been able to accomplish on other training plans, and yet I feel much healthier.

And given that this is my 3rd time with this program, I've gotten over the jitters of wondering if long runs of 16-17 miles are enough.  They are.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I read the Hansons book, found it fascinating. I'm working with a private coach now, and while she was the one who recommended I read the book, she's having me do a more classic Lydiard program. I still don't know enough about all these training programs to know what the real difference is between them, but I don't think my long runs are going much past 17 miles either. But yeah, lots and lots of miles. In fact, I was just wondering if I get any sort of cutback in mileage soon, considering this will be my fourth week in a row with 55+ miles.

7 miles today, recovery paced at 10:51 avg. Nailed it!

Just catching up on my friends here this morning.  Robin, HI, it's great to see you here again.  Glad that Slo's back too and getting over a knee injury nicely.  Holly, hope the troubles cleared up.  Some issues blow over after a day or two.  Tammy, do you still have 70° weather?  Nice mileage for you lately, now get to work on that relay team stuff!  Mike E, uff-da!  Nice race for twocat and Opie lately. Wild, you are amazing (wildchild was a puzzle on wheel of fortune the other night).  Lynden, are you on vacation all week?  That's a lot of cleaning to do. Maine, I know how it is to have to wait for doctor appts. hope you get some answers. Sounds like you lucked out with the apartment sale.  We are trying to buy another apartment for our retirement income.  Mari, you... crazy?  I dunno, I just know that I wanna run with you sometime.  What fun that would be!

All weekend I was sooo..... looking forward to seeing my friend from D.C. Her flight to Minneapolis wasn't until late Sunday.  The winter storm put a kabosh on our plans to run the lake on Monday AM.  She didn't even try to drive down from the Twin Cities because of the carpy roads. She'll be here in June for a 50th class reunion (hers, not mine).  Maybe we'll run then.

Since the puppy came bounding into the bedroom at 5:10 yesterday morning, I decided to get up and go to the spinning class at the Y.  MrStarr came along and did his treadmill/biking.  It's been about a year since I was in a class there.  Today I went to a class that's some strengh, flexibility, stretching and yoga.  Don't know if I'll go back for that.  I'd rather do a weight routine on my own I think.  Open swim is tonight, then I thought I'd try the Yoga class.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

TammyinGP

Starr, nope, that one day of 70 was a teaser. Yesterday was pretty decent though - low 60's maybe? our normal temps are around mid 50's which is what the rest of the week should be and then back up to sunny and warmer for the wknd.   I'm seeing MN weather in our news out here though and feeling sorry for all my friends and family back there. I remember many a blizzard and snow storm near Easter time. not fun at all. !

Tammy