Masters Running

Wednesday, 8.8.12 (Read 412 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all,

I'm tired this morning. I worked at a fundraiser from 4 till 9:30 last night. It was at a pizza place, and we get a "slice" of each pie sold, so I won't know how we did until we get the check from the restaurant. With that and the raffles we offered, we expect to clear about $700-800 for our non-profit, which isn't bad for an evening's work I didn't get to bed till about 10-10:15, and was up at the usual time and out the door by 4:10. I went 5.3 racewalking miles in 63F with noticeably more moisture in the air than yesterday. Despite that, I worked pretty hard and had a good workout. I scared a deer that was hiding in the marsh (it surprised me too), and I heard but didn't see it trampling through the water and reeds as it tried to scamper away. At another point, a dog came running to warn me off it's property. We had a little conversation and it calmed down as I walked along. I's a few hours later and I'm at the office, and I'm thinking maybe I should have slept in this morning, So it goes.

Enjoy your waking hours!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Speaking of Deer, check out this post!

20.2 miles biking this morning.  The plan was an Endurance ride keeping the HR in zones 1 and 2.  So like I do with running, I rode this by perceived effort - trying to get a feel for where Zone 2 is.  Turns out I hit it pretty good too ... less than 1 minute in Zone 3 so perfect.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

5.5 miles for me, with the last 1.5 miles running in with the girls x-country team as they were doing a 5,000 meter time trial. My all-out pace was about the way they jog!

Did anyone answer OM re mile repeats?  OM if that is something you want input on, message me on FB and I'll be glad to offer my 2 cents.  You can do these a lot of ways but it depends on why you are doing them. If you simply want to incorporate some faster miles into your workouts, that's one thing, but if you are at the end of training for something big and want to run them all-out, that is quite another.

And while you are all thinking about that, of the last 5 Masters Golf tournaments, how many were won by Americans?   Spareribs

C-R

And while you are all thinking about that, of the last 5 Masters Golf tournaments, how many were won by Americans?   Spareribs

Oooh. I know. 2. Bubba Watson and Phil Mickelson.

No run yet today but I had to answer that.

Mile repeats OM? Good workouts but like Ribs asked, what's the reason. If you're working on shorter race times (5K) that's good on the track but if for long runs, it would be better to do these within a long run and at 10K/15K pace with some equal recovery or better yet do 2x or 3x at HM. Lots of options.

MTA: got my 6.1 recovery miles at lunch in my VFFs. Forgot how much I like running in those as long as it isn't on concrete or asphalt.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Thanks Ribs and C-R. I'm asking about mile repeats just because I'm curious to know, not because I'm doing them. If my coach gives them to me in a future assignment, I'm sure he'll explain how (though not always why). But being the running info/technique/theory junkie that I am, I just wanted to collect the information for myself. I really do find all this running science fascinating. And after spending a week with a bunch of coaches at camp last week (four fledgling and one experienced), it was very interesting to learn that my instincts and execution of proper form and cadence were right on the money.

...28min poolrun

seemed

to Fix TheBack and TheLeg.

amazing

..................good running guys...........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

3 miles easy, faster on the uphills.  60F, overcast.  Need to order that strap for my Garmin.

Did anyone see that New Yorker magazine article that came out this week about the marathon runner that was faking most of his races?  I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.  I am surprised the main forum isn't discussing this.  Apparently people at LetsRun went apeshit and helped to gather a lot of proof that he hadn't really run any of these races.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Enke, is this the article? Just reading it now, thanks...

wildchild

Carolyn

Late congratulations to Econo and team Pretty in Stink for 1st place! Do you still stink?  Your mascot Tazzie does.  Joking
                    Opie - good luck with the job interview.  Would you really consider moving to NY if you get a good offer?
                    OM - so do you miss Colorado?  Or are you liking the NJ humidity and oxygen?
                    Enke - have fun with your sister!  How long has she lived in Sweden?
                    Posie -  nice 10  miler with tempo miles yesterday!
                    Troy - I hardly think you're a pansy for taking a day off after a tough 13 miles with a young speedster!
                    Byll - very funny post about the deer!

This morning I ran 5.6 trail miles along Clear Creek at a sproinky 9:23 pace, and yesterday morning I did 6.2 miles along Bear Creek and around the lake at 9:35 pace.  I'm really liking this morning running. But maybe I shouldn't be so surprised I like it - since I like lunchtime running and after-work running.  I just like running. Smile

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

mrrun

Did anyone see that New Yorker magazine article that came out this week about the marathon runner that was faking most of his races?  I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.  I am surprised the main forum isn't discussing this.  Apparently people at LetsRun went apeshit and helped to gather a lot of proof that he hadn't really run any of these races.

this was a first for me - I read that article and the one by Atu Gawande BEFORE the cartoons!!!!!  I'm glad they got the proof.

marj 

Interesting article, and funny about the deer.  I couldn't help wondering about its mother and what happened to the fawn in the end.

I like Rhoon's post as the end of yesterday's thread.  Pansy. Wink

Turned off my alarm just before it buzzed at 4:30, then promptly fell back to sleep for two whole hours.  Needless to say, I did not get my miles in this a.m and will have to do them after work.  Ick.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Great posting from Troy last nigth. 

Enkie, thanks for sharing this article with us. Interesting.

Busy day at work, so this will be short.

Last night I had the chance to do some more weeding and thinning in the garden.To my surprise,  my carrots are doing very well.

Running, 4 miles this early morning. It was good!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I think the more direct link is this.  But you probably need a membership to get the full article?  I have the magazine delivered to me.

My sister has been in Sweden for about 15 years?  She met a charming Swedish guy at a friend's wedding, she was maid of honor and he was best man, then less than a year later, (with a few trips in between and many emails) she quit her job and moved there to live with him.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Opie - good luck with the job interview.  Would you really consider moving to NY if you get a good offer?

I already know what they pay, and I don't know whether it would be a good offer or not.  It would be in the $80-85,000 range and I make about $50,000 now but I know the cost of living is higher in Newburgh, NY than here.  I'll settle for a free trip to escape the heat for a day or two at this point!

mta-I just realized I may have forgotten to post my run yesterday.  It was a struggle to do 3 x 1 mile intervals but I got it mostly done.  It was dark and I was counting on the way the Garmin lights up on a split to know when I could slow down for a 3-minute recovery.  I forgot it also lights up when there's a HR alert which I had already set up for easy runs and forgot to cancel.  So I couldn't tell why it was lighting up because I couldn't make out the numbers.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

King of PhotoShop

Opie, I am from Cornwall, NY, 5 miles south of Newburgh.  Lived there almost all my life. On Facebook there is a page "Remembering Newburgh."  Go find it. I am on there.  Newburgh was once one of America's most beautiful cities. 50 miles north of NYC on the beautiful Hudson River (how Hudson, Riblet got his name). It's different now, as you well know, but some interesting history.  Spareribs