Masters Running

Monday 4.14.14 (Read 39 times)

Dave59

I haven't been keeping up with things here so I am unable to comment on the posts of the last couple days.

A couple weeks ago I went in the basement to use the treadmill and I stepped in water.  The stupid tile drains backed up again.  The last clean out was less than 2 years ago and was supposed to be good for 5 years.  I had the Drain Surgeon come out and fix things.  He said maybe I should just have the drains cleaned every year.

We just went through a weekend of rain and it is still dry down there, so I guess it is fixed.  All our carpet is gone and the back wall is missing half the drywall. 

The water restoration company is coming over to pick up the massive dehumidifier and all their fans.  Then my plan is to go for a run.

I have a question for Ribs.  Which is worse, a jacket tied around a runner's waist, or pants tied around a neck?

http://i59.tinypic.com/w7o7k0.jpg

mta - Got in 4.3 miles at an early lunch.  And more water to deal with in the back corner of our basement.  Drain surgeon is coming Wednesday.  Saw 2 houses with a pile of wet carpet and assorted things out by the road during my run so I am not the only one.  We're supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow overnight, but maybe it will snow itself out over Wisconsin and spare us.

Marathon Maniac #957

Sorry about your basement flood, Dave.

No run for me today, 45-50 minutes of weights and core instead.

We had such a lovely weekend, but today brings rain and then snow tonight(!) - but I am grateful the nasty weather waited until the weekend was over this time....

Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning Dave, Holly and all to follow. Sorry about your basement Dave. Really liked your cartoon this morning. Let's see what Ribs thinks

How's that foot, Holly? When's your next marathon?

We got 3 inches of snow overnight and it's still coming down. Really? Winter just doesn't seem to want to loosen its grip this year. With sustained winds of 20 mph, I decided to head inside and run on the track at the Y this morning. 6 miles with 30 minutes of weights and core.

We watched "American Hustle" over the weekend. Has anyone seen it yet? The opening scene with the comb over is absolutely hilarious!

The woman who opens the Y every morning at 5:00 AM just gave her notice. They asked me if I wanted to take it. Hmmmmm - let me think about it.... up every morning at 4:00 AM to be there at 4:30 so all of the lights, music, cardio and weight room setups are ready to go? I'll get up at Jay o'clock to run - not sure I want to be responsible for opening the Y five days a week

Tramps

Yuck, that sounds very unpleasant, Dave.  Might be worth the annual cleaning to avoid again.

Weird weather here, too.  We had temps in the upper 80s yesterday and slept with the windows open.  That front's moving through tomorrow here and they're predicting temps in the 30s on Wednesday.  No snow though.

Ran 5 miles this morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

Well that sucks, Dave.  Sorry you guys had to deal with such a mess.  And love the cartoon.

Snow still???  Then I won't tell you how absolutely gorgeous it was here yesterday.  Not that I got to enjoy any of it.  But gorgeous still.

Jackie - I don't think I'd want that kind of commitment either.  Oh wait - work.  But that's different.

I, too, have not been keeping up on things around here, so no further comments available.

I had a long weekend of running, with a bit of a bonk in the middle, so I slept in this a.m.  8 on Fri, 18 on Sat, and 10 on Sun.  Things were going really well on Sat until about Mile 12.5 to 13.  Then the air just kinda started seeping out of me.  I'm still working on this whole nutrition change, so that's the biggest reason.  Next weekend I'll be doing some tweaking in that regard, so hopefully things will improve.  One thing is certain, I'm learning to deal with the bonks better.  And my brain doesn't feel so muddled and I don't have such a feeling of defeat - just tired legs wondering what the heck I'm doing to them.

Have a great week, peeps ~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

How's that foot, Holly? When's your next marathon?

My foot is much better, just slightly creaky.  My next marathon is May 4 - The Flying Pig.

Given your winters, I would not want the Y commitment either.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  I'm popping in real quick during my lunch break, since I never seem to be able to sneak away from DW find any time after work to post.

Dave--that really stinks about your basement. Mine has flooded twice in the 24 years I've lived there and that is 2 times too many.

Let's see...running...Friday was an easy 10 miler...then on Saturday, I went 17 miles at a 7:14 pace...and yesterday was an easy 6 miler that wasn't very easy after Saturday's run.  Saturday's run called for 16 miles at a 7:20 pace...so why did I go 17 at 7:14?  Because, I'm not very smart, that's why.  And I almost froze to death, too.  And I got a blister on my big toe on my right foot.  And...I don't know, I'm sure something else bad happened.   Anyway, tonight is 3 x 2 miles at a 6:40 pace...the wind is blowing at 19 mph and it's 36o....should be fun.

Okay--that's all the complaining I'm gonna do...for now.  See ya!  Hey!  Boston's in one week!!!

King of PhotoShop

How cool is Dave??  That made my day. Can I steal it for my FB friends?

Just got to Cleveland and I'm staying at a Marriott, across the street from which is Cuyahoga Community College, and I know from previous visits here it has a track. So I'm off in a few minutes to brave the rain and get some work in.

Just put up a piece on the Dallas Morning News site about tomorrow being the real big day at Boston. Hope you like it:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2014/04/boston-marathon-tomorrows-the-big-day.html/

I'll be back later.  Spareribs

Dave59

How cool is Dave??  That made my day. Can I steal it for my FB friends?

Steal away.  It was today's Speed Bump strip.  (I meant to give the credit with the strip.)

Today's Argyle Sweater was funny (but then again it almost always is.)  The caption was, "The darker side of children's books" and the picture showed a man giving his daughter a rake and huge pooper scooper and reminding her that she knew there would be responsibilities when they brought Clifford home.  Clifford's (the big red dog) head was in the picture.

Henrun

Busy few days. We're in Brooklyn for Passover and the weather I'd great-hi 60's and sun. We did our traditional 3 mile run over the Brooklyn Bridge this morning. Headed to Manhattan for a couple of museums interrupted by lunch in Central Park dodging runners and cyclists. Tonight we're walking to M's niece for the Seder (Passover meal). Tomorrow back to Manhattan for 2 more museums followed by another Seder at BIL's. Then home Wed am via Amtrak.

We'll probably get all that Midwestern cold but not the snow.

Tramps

Today's Argyle Sweater was funny (but then again it almost always is.) 

Be safe. Be kind.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

I have a question for Ribs.  Which is worse, a jacket tied around a runner's waist, or pants tied around a neck?

Depends if runner is wearing shorts in addition to the pants around this neck.    Sorry, couldn't help myself.  Sorry about the basement.

Rest day for me.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

wildchild

Carolyn

Yesterday I started out in wind pants over my long running pants, but got hot so I took off the wind pants and left them on a tree branch.  I picked them up on the way home and tied them around my waist.  Is that acceptable?   If it matters, it was snowing hard, and no one saw me. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Cracking up at you clowns over the pants and jacket question and remarks.  And Ribs is in Cleveland.  (Kind of a kindred spirit city to Detroit).

Holly, are you going to get to see twocat at the Pig....or, strike that, is he going to be fortunate enough to see you??  Take care of the foot, I needn't tell you.  Wish I could be there....that's the day of my (first) ultra.  Yes, the baby ultra.

Jlynne, I love "Jay o'clock!"  So much better than o dark hundred (DH uses tht a lot ).  Ima gonna start using Jay o'clock to mean early, as in:

Y'all will need to get up at Jay O'Clock to see the Blood Moon in the morning, and it just may be worth it!

Leslie, if it works, share the details of your nutrition tweaking, please?

Mike, your posts just humble me while making me laugh too.  You're a good egg.

Hanry and Marge, ever go to the Cloisters when you're in NY?  Hope you are having a good time.  What did you do when Passover fell during the marathon, as it does this year, in terms of nutrition and getting enough carbs?  I can't imagine just matzoh, unless you have some really great recipes.

Sorry, I wasn't about the board this weekend--interviewing a cat sitter and whirling around trying to clean the condo and get ready to leave for a few days.  We had a little 5K Saturday and I won a $50 running store gift cert. for my 20:45.  Whitey, one of my running club buddies, a real Yankee from Rhode Island came up to me and said: "Good run.  I didn't know ya had that in ya."  Neither did I!

Then I ran 10 on SUnday at an 8:27 pace with another runner here going to Boston.  He's from Cohasset originally so it was fun to chat with him about Boston.  We did the bridge; wondering if I should do it one more time this week.

DH is being very patient about everything, even my checking the weather several times a day.  And packing and unpacking race gear.  And forgetting if I arranged for him to pick up his Sox ticket for 4/21 at the park or for home email/printing.  Et cetera, et cetera!  He requested breakfast for supper tonight (omelet, spuds, veggie sausage, etc., and he's getting it, so I best be off.)

Thank you all for all your patience.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)