Masters Running

Conservatives, liberals, and the power of groupthink (Read 691 times)

Dark Horse, Hmmmm. Okay, I get where you're going, but disagree with your word choice. Primitive isn't the word I'd use. Would you use that word in desribing other nations who have the same issues? e.g. lack of free press, suppressed women, garbage problems, lack of health care. ( What about the good ol' USA?). I'll drop it because I think it's a matter of semantics. But, personally, I would not ever call most Islamic nations "primitive," period. And certainly not the ones in the Middle East.
      Soundie, I didn't mean to imply that they were hunter-gatherers. On the other hand, there is a rather long laundry list of areas in which they lag behind the Western democracies. My opinion, of course, and I recognize that "they" are not all the same. Dark Horse
      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
      coastwalker

What's getting you into trouble here is doing that ole' "common sense" thing. We don't get much of that anymore, especially when it comes to anything political (and, according to some people, it's all political...). If you're not more careful, people might start thinking you're a pragmatist, and then you'll really get a shellacking! Roll eyes Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

<retracted>
            DH - I'm not sure I understand your whole post - but I think I agree with you. I've always been a conservative republican - but I really despise the dim bulb in the white house today. I've always been a serious muscle car gearhead but now I'm totally green oriented (and drive a hybrid). I think I may have started to change my tune when I saw my kids growing up and started worrying about the world their kids will have... Ray

Top 'O the World!

Okay! So did anybody watch the debate last night? .......
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                there was a Debate last night??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Top 'O the World!

Big grin sorta
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    I listened to George McGovern on Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me! this afternoon. They gave him the chance to say "told you so," but he declined.
                    Masters 2000 miles
                      Hi Dark Horse. So you don't endorse the bailout plan? You made several good points along the way before finally getting to what is was that got the wheels spinning. Good luck in your dual with that Bain guy.
                      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                        Hi Dark Horse. So you don't endorse the bailout plan?
                        Hi, Jim. To be honest, I don't know a lot about the bailout plan. I don't know what its specific goals are, and I don't know how it proposes to accomplish those goals. I do know if we hadn't spent a fortune on the Iraq war, we wouldn't be so strapped for cash now. The cash we spent on the Iraq war, and continue to spend, doesn't seem to be buying us much. I don't trust the politicians to get the bailout right, and I worry they will just throw away another huge sum of money, with the main benefits going to the people who are already rich. That seems to be the Republican way, if you'll excuse my political opinion. Of course, there are a lot of wealthy Democrats in Congress, and I imagine they might be tempted to support a bailout of the big financial firms for personal reasons, i.e., to preserve the value of their own portfolios. Meanwhile, I question whether either party adequately understands or represents the "man in the street." Members of both parties in Congress have arranged to pay themselves good salaries with lavish benefits and a cushy retirement plan. Dark Horse
                        I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                          Good post DH. I think you were on the money with your groupthink comments.
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                            Good post, DH. I think too many people choose a label and are then required to adhere to all the tenants generally held by people of that "label". Is it not ok to be a pro-choice Republican? Or a pro-life Democrat? Many would say no. I'm a Conservative. I like to conserve the environment, money, our way of life, the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of the runner ahead of me. I try to treat others as I would like to be treated--I don't mind having my beliefs challenged or engaged in a debate but I do mind being labeled and barraged with talking points. I AM prejudiced against people who can't think for themselves. We are not 'one size fits all' and we shouldn't expect that from our political philosophy. If you can't sit down with someone and discuss your differing political views over a beer, well, lighten up Francis! TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Top 'O the World!

.....pass the beer!!!
                                .....pass the beer!!!
                                I believe we can ALL agree on that! Big grin TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff