Masters Running

1980 Jersey Shore Marathon Report (Read 497 times)

Thanks for the story. Entertainment and education all in one! The liability issue- it's unfortunate, but we live in a time when people are extremely sue-happy, and those in position of responsibility, such as RDs, absolutely have to protect their backsides. Re whiteout- You know, they make some pretty good stuff these days. It's not just about the liquid sticky stuff. I have a few rollers of whiteout I could lend you. It's a staple in my office!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

seemomgo

Look at what you have lived with all of these years! Imagine carrying this around with you all these years! This was a great read! Reminds us of what we are signing when we do these organized runs! Who was it that was so good over on CR that always was altering photos and stuff - get them on board and reproduce that certificate with a scanner!!!

#artbydmcbride

Pffft! If I was that race director, I would have got an after-the-fact-fee (plus late charge!) from Joe, had him fill out an application, and then sent him his own certificate! Big grin Spareribs, you I would have spanked!

Runners run

coastwalker

I didn't write about what happened in Hampton to reinforce any liability issues: Don't get me started on how some people are so quick to sue over every little issue!! Embarrassed My concern would be for the parent/spouse of someone injured who wasn't notified about the situation for hours because of a bib/identification problem. Nobody would be happy about that situation, whether they are lawsuit-happy or not. Ribs, you're just too danged honest! You should have used the white-out... Wink Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

joewojcik

certainly, i knew of the disclaimers for races in the early 1980's, but i think i was more interested in just running my first marathon without considering the legal or ethical issues. not to make excuses, it was pretty much a "lace 'em up and run" attitude which prevailed then. we all sign the disclaimers now, but i think it's much the same as agreeing to the licensing agreements on the internet--we know we've signed or agreed to something, but it's certainly difficult (at least for me) to remember the details. nonetheless, i would not be a party to a similar caper today. as i remember, my only thoughts while running the race were not to embarrass or humiliate my bil with a poor race time--then, the new jersey papers listed all finishers and i didn't want spareribs to suffer the ignominy of a poor finish because of me. also, for those who are implying that spareribs was cheap by sending a dollar to cover mailing costs, the cost of first class postage then was 15 cents. joe wojcik, aka spareribs bil

King of PhotoShop

Wow! We heard from the celebrity himself. Thanks Joe! I have no idea what ever happened to that certificate. Maybe the Saint can find it in our archives. And as for the poster who said I was honest, that is not true. I will admit only to being stupid. Joe, did you see the earlier post from Aamos? She is a lawyer, and she's fast. Watch out for her! Spareribs
                ribs (and Joe), this was an interesting thread. A few years can give a different perspective. Besides, the statute of limitations as regards race registrations must have passed. Thanks for posting your story. TomS
                  "Unimportant were things like: where you park, the pasta party, the expo (there weren't many then and they were crummy). I am sure I never read the rules." Where I can park, how much is the pasta party, and is the expo going to be good are the FIRST THREE things on my list of whether or not to enter a race! What a great story. You are truly entertaining Spareribs. Rules are overrated. Yes

Marathon Maniac #957

That Spareribs, ever the rebel... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I gave a number to a friend once - the RD was fine with the last minute switch, which was great. It wasn't a marathon, but a 10K and he had enough fun to get hooked. he later became a running partner and we trained for two marathons together. He has since moved to Madison, WI - so I don't know what the moral of this story is either.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

The moral of the story is it's a good story!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

The moral of the story is it's a good story!
                          a very good story indeed!! thanks for the read!!

denise

The Jogger

Geeez, I just always knew, deep down, Spareribs was a rebel Big grin And you can't half recall some good experience's. Thanks for sharing this. Rot PS: Where's PBJ these days?
                              Great story. <rant>FWIW yes the RD spells out the rules and can make them whatever he or she likes. We the runners then have the option for signing up under those rules or not. It is our choice. But, I really have NO sympathy for rules like "no giving your bib to another runner." As long as the RD is notified and perhaps paid a fee to cover the administrative costs associated with the paperwork a bib switch will induce it seems to be this option should be standard in races that sell out. From an efficiency perspective the current system is just a disaster! People can and do sign up for any number of races that will sell out even if they know they may not run it. Why? Just to make sure they have the option to run the race should they decide to do so. It is a perfectly rational and reasonable response to the foreclosing of a secondary market in bib numbers. This makes things tougher on everybody. RD's have less certainty as to how many people will actually line up. Some runners end up paying for a race they never run. Other runners are foreclosed from running a race that would happily pay to run. Silly rules that prohibit mutually beneficial trade . . . UGH! Angry </rant>

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/