Masters Running

Wed 7/16 Master Jaunts (Read 432 times)

Renee the dog

Hey so here I am a day late with my 1 mi on the sand with the kids. Had to postpone it 'till tonight, as yesterday my left knee got all twitchy and annoying after my run and until bedtime. Iced 2x, let it be. Kids, Renee and I did the 5 hrs roundtrip to visit my parents (Mom's back to 100%). We even sneakily tested her reflexes by bringing a spongy ball, and she didn't miss a pass in over 20 times. (So irritating that this 80 yr old woman has never even attempted to keep her natural physical ability up!). I have to share with my RA friends here that this move has been AWESOME! I love our new house and it's not such a burden when my husband's away. Nice neighbors, nearer to the "action" which if you remember my list from the other day is largely athletic in nature! At 6 pm, I hear someone sing the National Anthem as another baseball game kicks off. I sometimes go to bed with the "big lights" still lighting up my bedroom if a game goes into extra innings. Then there's the basketball courts. I can't tell you how many nights I get to go to sleep to the ref's whistle as they are playing until midnight +. It's totally GREAT! On my old street, by the bay, the only sounds I went to sleep by were the sounds of people getting drunk. Now, don't misunderstand me, I love have a drink or 3!, but the sounds of sports are so much more uplifting to serenade me to sleep. Tammy, GLAD your air has cleared! Makes it hard to plan a good outside workout! Hope dinner was a big hit!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

7.1 miles at an easy pace of 9:18 and about 1:06:00 or there abouts. I usually run at about 4pm but it was sunny and 95 today so I waited til later and then the thunder storms rolled through. I headed out with lightening well to my north moving east and managed to get back home 10 minutes before the next storm moved through. Its storming like heck out right now. Ribs, Very cool ! Erika, I too get choked up at that song . Not because I was gone a lot when my kids were young but because we all feel like we could have done more for our kids I guess. We do what we can or have to at the time and live with it . That's just being a dad and also being a mom in these days. How cool your dad worked on glaciers mine was gone all the time too but only to build trucks on the assembly line. The Motor City you know. Wildchild, I fantasize about your runs. I am very jealous of anyone who gets to combine their love of running with such beautiful terrain. To heck with times and watches . Time should stand still while you take it all in. Spent a little time reading about the Ragnar Relay Florida today. I think it would be fun to do one of these sometime. It sounded like our group had a great time doing theirs in Arizona this year. Just sayin.. Safe and lightening free runs Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

wildchild

Carolyn

Wildchild, I fantasize about your runs. I am very jealous of anyone who gets to combine their love of running with such beautiful terrain. To heck with times and watches . Time should stand still while you take it all in.
        Thank you! That's what I was thinking, too, but I read about everyone else's tempo runs, progression runs, and intervals, and I feel like a slacker for running without a plan and without a watch. Tonight I went for a wonderful trail run. Well it was actually fast hiking up hill and running downhill except where it was really rocky and difficult footing, which was a lot. But there were awesome views of the divide, lots of wildflowers, beautiful aspen meadows - just doesn't get much better than the rocky mountains in summertime. Estimate about 5 miles in about 65 minutes, starting elevation about 8400 ft, high point about 9300 ft.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

pfriese

Late post on a busy day. Up at 6:00am to beat h&h. Somewhat successful. 3.25 miles @ 9:00/mile avg pace. Paul
          Mariposai

Wildchild, I fantasize about your runs. I am very jealous of anyone who gets to combine their love of running with such beautiful terrain. To heck with times and watches . Time should stand still while you take it all in. Larry
            You are so right Larry, time should stand still while you take it all in while running in the woods. Wildchild,I don't worry about time nor pace when I am running in the woods. I just let the heart dictate how fast and how hard I should run, just like you do Wink The fresh air and the wild flowers were just splendid this afternoon as I ran my 6 mile loop in the ski trail. I sure wish Riblet can post to tell us all about the o'man's speech. Tetsujin, you have been so quiet lately...please tell us which event you are tapering for?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Larry, I sent my dad an e-mail about that song and some of the things we've talked about here. He said this: "...the life of a professor of geolological sciences in Alaska, doing field work in the short summer combined with teaching, research, and administrating grants and contracts, can be summarized as "The game you can't win." And I can really understand now how he felt. I did get in my run home today. 9 miles, much better than last week and it was hotter at 74F and the wind was mostly at my back (so no cooling effect). Oy, that was toasty. I had an 8 oz bottle of water with me and wasn't going to drink any till after mile 4... I wanted to stop so much sooner! But I made it up the big hill at mile 8 so much better than last week... was able to run 2 min, walk 1 min, run 1 min (last week :30 was it), walk 1 min, run 1 min, then run all the way up the rest of it and onto the side road to my house. Wow, feels great. I guess I am ready for Sunday's race, except that rain is forecast so it'll be sloppy!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tetsujin, you have been so quiet lately...please tell us which event you are tapering for?
                gracias nancy, serous tapering for this weekend's RunningBarefoot Festival's double 3.3 mile road run on Saturday and 5K trail one on Sunday. Hope you can shed your shoes again this year for a barefoot mile or two too. ps - do you have your Ragnar map yet? I think the one the goddesses got is a mistake going to Whidbey Island instead of ending at the Pink Door in Seattle. I'll send you the real one. please give to the other goddesses. gracias arigatou. pps - you got any lakes around there you can join us in the first midnight madness full moonlight swim of the summer tomorrow night? have you ever been running in the middle of the night yet or will Ragnar be the first?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

munchkn883

Better to post late than to not post at all!! 5 miles for me yesterday afternoon in the HOT weather. Had to stop a couple of times to cool off. Next time I'll have more liquid with me.