Masters Running

Wednesday's Daliy, 7.9.14 (Read 30 times)

If there are any techno geeks here, I could use some advice about my internet. The modem and router are in an upstairs bedroom and have worked just fine from last September until last month. Now it cuts in and out many times a day. Our phone is through the cable company and it's voice over IP so that quits working too. I wonder how many home inspections MrStarr has missed because of it.

Anyway, would it help to move all the equipment to the main floor, or the basement? The office and wireless printer are in the basement. Maybe their modem is defective. Should I have them replace that?

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ran 2.3 glorious, barefoot  miles on the beach.

Glad you’re okay deez.
      However, even if you had sufficient barefoot training to run 2.3 miles which you didn't (how many bf miles this year?), that’s just plain stupid running on a unknown sandy beach probably full of sharp shells and broken glass, poisonous jellyfish, etc. to say nothing of sharks and killer whales eager to swallow you up if you trip into the waves.  Besides you might have fun.

Some people on the path are pretty clueless and I am never sure if they understand "on your left". I only know it in one language And we have an incredible amount of non-English speaking people in our community.  "Heads up" seemed to work when they were coming straight at me 3 abreast.  After a young woman was killed on her bicycle last week In a SW MN town, I am none too cautious. She was pulling a burley with a 1 & 4 year old who did survive. The driver of the car was arrested. He had been doing some online banking on his phone and came up over a hill And didn't see her..

"on your left" just panics a lot of bike path walkers and makes passing even worse.

Almost need to slow to walking pace and cautionsly pedal by.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

If there are any techno geeks here, I could use some advice about my . . . . .

Starr - after your cycling post, my heart started leaping up

in the expecation that you were going to say  ". . . about  my bike."

oh well.

ps -what's going on in your avatar?

time-lapse you took or something.

pretty spectacular.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Sorry Starr... no techno geek here. But I will say it drives me nuts when something that was working just fine, all of a sudden doesn't. And since I run on bike paths a lot, I also try the "On Your Left!" call. Most of the folks around here speak English just fine. They just don't seem to know what "left" is. I frequently have to dive off into the grass or brush on the side because they stepped left, right into my path. I usually mutter "your other left" as I go by.

Tonight I ran the same hill route from home that I ran last Thursday. It was warmer today, and at the end of the day I was a little more run down. But still managed to do it in almost the same time as last week (8:21 avg vs 8:18 last week). Part of the problem is the road above our house was graded in the last couple of days, so there were lots of loose rocks and road material, causing a bit of "slippage" with each step. Slowed me down a bit on the way up and the way down, because a wrong step on those rocks could lead to a bad fall. But it was still a great workout on a very nice night. Came home and guzzled a couple glasses of water, then a couple more. Our humidity is back down to the 30 to 35% range, and that dries you out pretty quickly.  10.7 hilly miles total.

SteveP

Bite free miles are good, Dave59

Sweet family beach cross training, Enkephalin.

TW, ^5 to your TENS unit and a goose free outing.

And since I run on bike paths a lot, I also try the "On Your Left!" call. Most of the folks around here speak English just fine. They just don't seem to know what "left" is. I frequently have to dive off into the grass or brush on the side because they stepped left, right into my path. I usually mutter "your other left" as I go by.

One bonus for the dreadmill. That's also one nice thing about the trails as well. One the rare occasion there are others on them, people have a tendency to step off to one side or another when a mutt bolts pass them. While they're discussing opinions as to why a dog would need a cape in the middle of nowhere and what potential danger they may be in, I have ample time to waddle on past. I'll shout a friendly, "It's OK now! I'm here!" Hopefully, the confusion is alleviated.

DW, Tag and I got a few miles in.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Most of the folks around here speak English just fine. They just don't seem to know what "left" is. I frequently have to dive off into the grass or brush on the side because they stepped left, right into my path. I usually mutter "your other left" as I go by.

Starr - have you called the tech support at your IP provider?  They might be able to help.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."