Masters Running

Wed Dec 10 Runs and Workouts (Read 493 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim, so sorry to hear about your injury. My achilles tendonitis was a pain, but I seem to be fully recovered now. I know that's different from a rupture, though. Not to shout or anything, but I FINISHED 1000 MILES FOR THE YEAR this morning! I had to do it on the TM because of the rain, but that's OK! I celebrated by meeting my non-running running parter at a local cafe and ordering the eggs Benedict with tomato and crab. Ymm! I'm so happy. I will aim for 1,250 miles next year. It's very doable unless I get injured again. Smile Smile Smile
    Teresa, greta job on 1000 miles, that is awesome and terrific....you rock!!! I see by your profile you mentioned being a "non runner" before. I am so sorry you couldn't keep it up...hey, it's tough... Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Ribs and Tet - Thanks for your comments. And for the record, Ribs, I never doubted that you were overwhelmed with emotion over my obvious stellar finish. Big grin Big grin I am a neophyte with regard to technology such as GPS, and assumed a Garmin would register more accurately. I'm not too worried about it at this point, and will give the course the benefit of the doubt. Most of my trail runs are through Pacific Coast Trail Runs, which uses some kind of thing-a-ma-jigger to ensure their courses are marked as accurately as possible, and tell you when a course is not exactly a 50k, 30k, etc. I'm looking forward to working hard on the strength training over the next few months as I am going back to run PCTR's Pirates Cove 30k in March. The course runs through the Marin Headlands and there is a lot of climbing. Just about killed me last year, with a 5:00:05 finish. Re the watches with lap counters, I'll check into that and see what I can find. Again - Thanks, guys, for your input. Very greatly appreciated.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #3309

Billions of Butterfly hugs to TImbo. Hung in there my friend.
        Mari, thanks for the Billion Butterfly hugs. I will hang in there girl fren. But ummm....hung, that's pretty personal, LOL Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

flatland mountaineer

Curious , Leslie what garmin you use? Did you have a clear view of the sky for the entire race? Blew off my run this morn, need to work it in tommorow. Had some biz things pop up unexpectantly but if I woulda got my arse outa bed sooner wouldn't have mattered. Angry Tim is scaring me with this AT talk! Hoping for a speedy recovery.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Ok, my science geek left brain just had to chime in here. How do you expect them to measure a TRAIL race accurately for distance? On a road they use a wheel thingy. On a bumpy, muddy, rocky, rooty trail, with more than one way to negotiate the climbing/descending portion......which measurement device would be best? Neither I say.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Curious , Leslie what garmin you use? Did you have a clear view of the sky for the entire race?
              I have the 301. Couldn't afford to spring for the 305, which is supposedly better at tracking. And yes, a clear view of the sky the entire way (there are no trees in the desert . . . Wink ) Enke - The PCTR folks have told me in the past what they use for accurate measurements, but I can't remember what it is.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

I completely agree with Tet and Enke that on a trail it is rare to get an accurate description. No one runs a Jones counter over dirt, ruts and rocks, and if the Garmin makes you comfortable, so be it. But on trails you will always be approximate for those two reasons: tough to measure and rarely do trail runners even care. Another thing to keep in mind that the RD's of trail races work their asses off to provide a quality and fun experience, and there is far less interest in the kind of accuracy we were discussing above, wth "18.41" vs. "6.2 and a fraction times 3" etc. They seldom get some big charitable backing, volunteers or big dollars either. I simply wanted to point out that if you are serious about accuracy, forget the Garmin. It's not likely to be any more accurate than what is posted as the distance of the run. If the RD or others agree it's an average of everyone's Garmin results, then Bob's your uncle. Just run the trail and enjoy yourself. I wasn't making fun of your result fatozzig. I can't run 18+ miles. Spareribs

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Great discussions on days per week running. I've done both this year and had much better running with even 2 miles snail's pace on Monday vs the day off. Later I had an injury but looking back I'm convinced that was due to adding, speed, hills and peaking on miles per week at the same time. I'm still undecided now and take Monday off but will be experimenting again soon. I really believe that when I take a day off, my blood vessels shrink down and my muscles tighten up so when I resume running it takes a good pumping of the blood to stretch those vessles back out and work those muscles loose. That is probably why it feels good to run the day after a hard (but not too hard) effort, or after a speed session. just a thought.. Tim... best wishes buddy.. you second opinions are they way to go.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey, with all the excuses of NOT running, I will trade Ya all... right freaking now.... It's too cold out - it's too hot out - it's too snowy out - I over slept - the ice - I don't feel like it today - it's windy - I am sore - don't have the time - it's dark out - wind chill is ??? - it's raining out...I could go on and on...but prolly you get the point, but luv you all. Just do it ok..for me at least. Tammy, hope you are ok. Tet, I only need one hug....a BIG ONE from each and every one of you guys...really, ok. Your barefoot guy never showed up...whats up with that... Hey, please no one take this the wrong way...I am trying to kick some people's...umm, butts into gear. I am into the 7 days a week running, since I learned easy... super easy on off days. Yeah, like I am an authority on running??? TimBo

King of PhotoShop

Great discussions on days per week running. I've done both this year and had much better running with even 2 miles snail's pace on Monday vs the day off. Later I had an injury but looking back I'm convinced that was due to adding, speed, hills and peaking on miles per week at the same time. I'm still undecided now and take Monday off but will be experimenting again soon. I really believe that when I take a day off, my blood vessels shrink down and my muscles tighten up so when I resume running it takes a good pumping of the blood to stretch those vessles back out and work those muscles loose. That is probably why it feels good to run the day after a hard (but not too hard) effort, or after a speed session. just a thought.. Tim... best wishes buddy.. you second opinions are they way to go.
                      Thank you Steve. Had I wanted to make a perfectly compelling argument, I would have said, "Just listen to Perch and his magical healing miles." He has studied this issue as well as sharing his personal experience. Spareribs
                        ((((((((((((TIM))))))))))))

Marathon Maniac #3309

((((((((((((TIM))))))))))))
                          OK, I was already close to tears...now I am big time. Thank you Karin...you rock. Geez guys, I never tear up about anything actually....but am now... TimBo

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey, with all the excuses of NOT running, I will trade Ya all... right freaking now.... It's too cold out - it's too hot out - it's too snowy out - I over slept - the ice - I don't feel like it today - it's windy - I am sore - don't have the time - it's dark out - wind chill is ??? - it's raining out...I could go on and on...but prolly you get the point, but luv you all. Just do it ok..for me at least. TimBo
                            OK, now you've got me thinking... I was gonna take tomorrow off, because I have an all-day training class tomorrow with lunch provided, so I can't run at lunchtime, and DD has a school band concert tomorrow evening so I can't run after work. But I COULD run in the morning if I get up early. But it will be dark and cold and snowy and windy, and I'm SO not a morning person. On the plus side, it will definitely NOT be hot or raining. So should I HTFU and do it for TimBo???? The forecast for tomorrow at 5am says 22 degrees, 18 mph wind, slight chance of snow. I'll let you know tomorrow...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Well, I'm not making excuses... but I didn't run outside cuz it was too dark and kinda cold... and there's been moose in the area so I'm not taking chances. But I did run! 7.05 mile progression run on the treadmill downstairs, 8:31 avg pace. Mile splits were 8:49, 8:42, 8:34, 8:27 and last 3.05 miles at 8:20 (hoped for but not likely MP). Felt good, and all parts seemed to cooperate. Can't ask for much more than that at this stage of the game.
                                I completely agree with Tet and Enke that on a trail it is rare to get an accurate description. No one runs a Jones counter over dirt, ruts and rocks, and if the Garmin makes you comfortable, so be it. But on trails you will always be approximate for those two reasons: tough to measure and rarely do trail runners even care.
                                I'm willing to hedge a couple of miles either way. Now if we start getting into double digit hedging, well that's a whole 'nother thang all together now.
                                Another thing to keep in mind that the RD's of trail races work their asses off to provide a quality and fun experience, and there is far less interest in the kind of accuracy we were discussing above, wth "18.41" vs. "6.2 and a fraction times 3" etc. They seldom get some big charitable backing, volunteers or big dollars either.
                                Yes, they do work their asses off. Got the full effect of this while crewing for my friend Kate during her first 100 mile trail run. The aid station workers were phenomenal, and I swear that Sarah, one of the RDs, had cloned herself so she could be in 3 places at once.
                                I simply wanted to point out that if you are serious about accuracy, forget the Garmin. It's not likely to be any more accurate than what is posted as the distance of the run. If the RD or others agree it's an average of everyone's Garmin results, then Bob's your uncle. Just run the trail and enjoy yourself. I wasn't making fun of your result fatozzig. I can't run 18+ miles. Spareribs
                                I am definitely out there to enjoy and challenge myself. Heck, I have no illusions of being even a halfway elite runner. I'm just a 40+ chick who has finally found, for the first time in her life, something that she is passionate about. And I know you weren't making fun of my results, because I have come to know that you are not that type of man. . . . . and in all seriousness, I know my stellar performance brought out emotions in you that perhaps you hadn't felt in a very long time. It's okay! {{{Give me a hug!}}} . . . . and I hope you know I'm just playin' with ya here, Ribs. Wink Big grin I read your counsel to others very carefully, because I always learn something. Glad you're back to keep us in line.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance