Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 6.30.14 (Read 43 times)

Hello good friends. I lost my sister today.  She was my role model and my best friend.  Life dealt her some crappy hands over the years but she handled all of it with dignity and grace. And she lived each day like it was her last. "Attitude and gratitude" was her motto, and I'll never forget all of the wonderful years we had together. Hug your sisters and mothers. And add Jan and her family to your prayers if you could. She will be missed.

lamerunner

Hugs to you Lynne. that is never easy.

Wildcat Trail race was a success! We had a near disaster when the gondola wouldn't start and we needed  to get our medical personnel in place at the summit, but we got by that, thanks to a resourceful mountain employee.  180 runners, first time race, on ski trails, no injuries. DS ran the 5k after hiking/running down from a back country camp with DD and finished 9th; DH somehow missed the turn for the 5k  and carried on up over the summit for the 5 miler. I was a bit worried about him,  but I had a radio  and got some info.  Most runners were very positive about the race!

Friday I ran about 5 miles  in town then did a 7.5 mile hike late afternoon/early evening in northern NH. Mts Waumbek and Starr King .   I drove my son up to hike back up to Gray Knob with DD and had to be in the north country to work on the Wildcat race, so it all worked out.  Saturday I hiked the 5 mile course  to mark it and check/ mark hazards and directions(plus I detoured to the true summit), then ran about 7  miles on the Presidential rail trail.  Sunday, just worked the race and then drove home. I was beat...

Today I ran 6.5 around town then did a 3/4 mile swim at lunch.

I would attach pictures, but I don't know how...

On the trail running issue, I have grown to love it; for the beauty and soft surface;  yes there are rocks and bugs, but you can choose relatively smooth trails. Where I am in NH, it is not easy; the rail trails and fire roads are the best bet, but they exist, and I think out west there are far more choices of reasonable terrain.

Lynne,  I'm so sorry to hear that, will keep you and your family in our prayers.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I find myself doing some task or other, and then in a lull checking in on FB. It's a needless waste of time I could devote to other things.  One thing I miss is seeing how my running friends are doing, so I don't need to post all the time, but I do like to learn about what's new with others.

I find myself taking an RA break in between some task or the other too.

It's a good way to see how my running friends are doing without feeling

obligated to post or, if I do, not necessarily about running.

However, based on wildchild’s prime number idea,
          I'm able to post I ran 0.8 miles tonight to a prime 7 miles.
          The prior 6.2 were for Jan at the beginning of the month and these were too.
          Knowing she was my age and running about the same hits harder than usual.
          Nothing like for Jeanne though. So sorry.

You’re one tough cookie, Starr.
          However, I’d rather look at aquatic plants proliferating in the phototrophic zone than the concrete bottom of a pool. Deeper out, one reason I love triathlons so much is it’s the only time it’s safe to be open-water swimming out in the middle of nowhere.
          Erika - maybe ask your folks but I recall the Good Friday Earthquake and Fairbanks Flood being characterized as “godsends” for the influx of federal relief funds in the days before the state's oil largesse. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Maniac 505

Lynne:

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

evanflein

Jlynne, so sorry to hear about your sister. Even though it was expected, that's never easy news. I hope the memories of how strong she was and her positive influence helps ease the pain a bit. She was way too young. Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

Aamos, Ribs is right! It's easy for him to come meet you at DFW, although when I met them there the Saint was there too. Good luck with that. 

Starr, sounds like you had a great trip and still continued on your weight loss journey! Good for you!

Tetsujin, yes the 1964 earthquake was key in getting Tsunami warning stations set up here, and the 1967 flood was the stimulus for the Corps of Engineers Flood Control Project, but those are just blips in our long history of soaking up federal dollars for all sorts of projects and issues.

Had a nice easy run today in the middle of the day. Just a few sprinkles and they subsided quickly. 5.8 miles at a nice easy pace. No prime for the month but a good solid 200+ mileage month again.

SteveP

I'm sorry to hear about your bonk on Sunday. Our local builders are behind with weather issues as well.

It's good to see you Starr.

(((((Jlynne, Jan & Families)))))

DW went with me to a Dr appointment today. Ugh. Do not take an S/O with you to the Dr. The Dr was more probing with the family history questions than usual. DW interjected, "What about the mental illness?" Ugh. Nearly everyone thinks their spouse's family is full of "characters". When the Q&A came to my diet, she interjected, that I think a potato is a vegetable. The Dr kindly stated, "Technically it is.". I said " See!?!". Then the Dr added, "However.."........"Stay out of it Doc.".

Cut to the chase, the Dr. ordered the start of an autoimmune screening. I'm not entirely convinced that my pain and fatigue issues are anything but activity related, I'll panic later.

SteveP

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

"What about the mental illness?" 

Don't worry about that too much Dad. We should get ice cream.

Sniffing Butts, Tag

mrrun

Jlynne, so sorry to hear about your sister. Even though it was expected, that's never easy news. I hope the memories of how strong she was and her positive influence helps ease the pain a bit. She was way too young. Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

++

Jeanne - we're thinking about you, Jan and your families.  take care of yourself

So very sorry to learn of your sister's passing JLynne. Holding you all in my heart.

Just back from a quick run between lightning bolts here in MO. The kiddo is all registered for classes and the summer welcome program at Mizzou was just fantastic. The big move-in day will be much easier come August with so much all set in advance. Everything was so well done and organized. We fly home this morning.

I ran every morning we were here--nothing spectacular and just keeping it going.