Masters Running

Biking AND RUNNNNNING, finally (Read 244 times)

GreenMan

May 25-30, 2008 Friday, May 30, passed dark The phone rang. "Are you ready to go?" "Hey, Beth. What’s up? How was Aruba." "It was great. Dan and I had soooo much fun. I ran a 5k while there and did OK, second female. "Congratulations. That’s fantastic." "My aunt had some health problems and we had to hop a flight a day early to get her state-side for treatment. You’re still going to the May Mountain Marathon aren’t you?" "Of course, I’ll pick you up bright and early Sunday morning." "JJ, the run is tomorrow. You know, like -May 31." Well, she was right. I knew it was the last day of May. But unfortunately, and much to my dismay, even in leap years, May only has 31 days. May has been a great month, even if a bit short. Perfect weather. Flowers bursting spontaneously into orgies of fragrant chromatic delight. From my front door to the local ridgelines the flower season has been superb. I took four weeks off from running starting the day after the Promise Land 50K as an extended recovery period to heal and recharge. Four weeks is a long time in running terms, and as soon as my soreness had subsided, running withdrawal set in. You know the signs: sleeplessness, weight-gain, visiting running stores to try on shoes you don’t need, going to 5k races just to watch, drinking from water bottles at the dinner table. Psychologically, it was a challenge to be that inactive. So when my friend Ed Davis began to encourage me to join his group’s (something like 20th) annual bicycling and camping trip along the Blue Ridge Parkway at the end of my self-imposed hiatus, I was hyperactive putty in his hand of disregard for strict rules and penchant for two-wheeled frivolity. Since I’m not a road biker, there were tires to change, panniers to purchase, food, clothing and shelter to distill toward the essential goal of weightlessness. We left Abingdon on Sunday May 25. I biked into town to join the crew at the VA Creeper Trail head about 11am. The cast consisted of Ed, the geographer, Larry, an expert bike brake mechanic and lawyer, Charlie, our health food consultant, Dennis our accountant, and John, an amateur film director, lawyer. Image and video hosting by TinyPic L2R: Charlie, Larry, John, JJJ, Ed, Dennis My former priest Frank, and Kent, an ex-Marine artist-type would join us later, to add some color. As is custom, the group rides to a Lutheran Church on the other side of Whitetop Mt as the first stop. This year proper permissions had been obtained, so breaking and entering was unnecessary. Soon after we arrived, his daughter dropped off Frank at the church. I was out running, and caught a glimpse of her just as she was getting on the highway but didn’t recognize her. I hadn’t seen her or Frank for about 7 years. Until the next morning, I thought I would be a shoe-in for the most original attire award. Then, for the coolness of morning, Ed stretched on his hot pink tights with periwinkle polka dots, a perfect foil to the assisted-living style shoes he purchased just for the trip. Image and video hosting by TinyPic I had been out-JJ-ed. Never underestimate what a man writing a book on collard greens will think of next. A few miles after an early lunchtime gorge at a buffet in W. Jefferson NC, the day had heated up. A few of us choose to take a dip in the S. Fork of the New River. The others artfully avoided the prodigious poison ivy that lined the path and trees down the embankment. My descent was captured on film at least. Cooled, we followed the others to Glendale Springs on the Parkway and made a pilgramage to the Church of the Frescoes. I’ll spare you the diatribe of what I think about Western religious art, however the frescoes are beautiful and I intuitively agree with Dostoyevsky’s statement, "Beauty will save the world". Beauty can sooth substantial all cognitive dissonance. I’ll say no more. While the crew napped on the lawn of a gift and crafts shop, Image and video hosting by TinyPic I took a leisurely 3 mile stroll off the ridge into the valley back across the S. Fork, only my second run of May. After dinner we, peddled a few miles before scouting out a clandestine campsite. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Camp Clandestine My hammock failed. I weigh under two hundred and I thought the hammock rating exceeded that, but without warning a sudden rip bombed my butt to the ground. Ouch. I just slept on the leaves in my sleeping bag. The Parkway is an excellent venue for bicycling on pavement. Image and video hosting by TinyPic There is only light 45mph traffic that can generally be heard well in advance. The ridgeline grades are long and slow upward or fast and harrowing descents, but the term our group found most appropriate was irenic. Flaming orange azaleas Image and video hosting by TinyPic and purple rhododendron punctuated the seemingly endless asphalt sentence from the boundaries of lush deciduous green or sparkling metamorphic cliffs. The Parkway is a graphic novel, profuse with languid, steamy passages. On Wednesday morning, we left Julian Price Park after an evening of foreshadowing showers. We stopped on Grandfather Mt at a cairn built in memory of a friend who would have been bantering along with us no doubt, had he not fallen to a brain tumor ten years ago. We meet up with Kent and dined at Famous Louise’s along US221 in Linville Falls before remounting our mechanical steeds in torrential drizzle. Image and video hosting by TinyPic I seldom consider all the possible ways I could lose my life on my little adventures. Like perhaps, I might let my back bike tire slip off the pavement and then veer out of control into the path a pickup truck whose brakes are being seized as if by cardiac arrest. Or in a thunderstorm careering 3 miles down the serpentine Chestoa Mt as the back brakes scrape louder and louder, more and more despondent to the rider’s white knuckled chagrin, I might come to some unpredictable and untimely end. I try not to think of those types of things. I try. By evening a cool, thick mountain fog had upstaged the warm May rain and we sheltered through the night beneath the back porch of a gift shop. Image and video hosting by TinyPic About 4 am I was waken to a quartet of barn owls barking out a primal fugue with impromptu strands of antiphonal counterpoint. I was wet, cold, sleepy, and mesmerized. As Kent had prophesized in the face of my doubt, the weather would clear and our final assent would be in glorious May pulchritude. The foot of Mt Mitchell rested some twenty miles beyond us, and though my eyes had been numbed by beauty all along the way, I was unprepared. On first sight, the term Mt Mitchell, struck me as some surveyor’s crude malapropos. San Michele would have been my choice. The heart and soul of Beauty lies in the feminine. Nothing of the term "Mt Mitchell" envokes silky clouds of negligé drifting on silent breezes brushing through dark conifer sanctums. To some it might have been tempting to race the last two miles up her gynous slope, but I lingered with purpose on a slight knowing dread that this moment could not be contained or recreated. As soon as a meal and camp were established, I set out on foot, alone. I walked a hard trail toward the summit, but took to the road to run a half-mile with climatic lack of breath. As the road ended, I took the final trail to the top into a dark and tangled balsam woods, soft, and sweetly pungent. I was in a moment glad to hobble time, if not execute it once for all. Afterwards, I ran. Too much time has passed since I felt like a runner but I know it will come back in the doing. Our passage back to Abingdon had arrived and the next morning after watching sunrise Image and video hosting by TinyPic we made the 2.5 hour trek by van that had taken five days by bike. In town my friends dropped me off and I biked the last 8 miles home. In what remained of Friday, I could recovery and on Saturday too. Or so I thought, until well passed dark. Then the phone rang. To be continued.
    Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
      That sounds like a heavenly trip. And I totally understand your "slight knowing dread that this moment could not be contained or recreated." I've been there. And it can't. But those moments are the ones that make up the most poignant memories.
      "I think I can, I think I can..."
      wildchild

Carolyn

Awesome! Another JJJ adventure! I can't wait to read part 2. You ran a mountain marathon the day after a 5 day bike trip?????? Shocked

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

What an adventure JJJ!!! Thanks for the update and pictures!

SteveP

Image and video hosting by TinyPic L2R: Charlie, Larry, John, JJJ, Ed, Dennis
            What an awesome adventure J3... I'm really glad you captioned the photo of you and your riding buddies. I'm not sure I could've picked you out of that group! Big grin
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              JJ What a great report and beautiful adventure to take. Camping with buddies, biking and running. Wow...would sell me. Way to go and great photo's. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Tramps

Entertaining report and excellent trip! Thanks for sharing.

Be safe. Be kind.

JJ - As always, I find myself mesmerized by your writings. The picture of you all watching the sunrise - beautiful. Am waiting for Part II . . .

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jjj, what a delightful report on a wonderful trip. Your words and pictures were a joy. Thanks for sharing. TomS
                      "slight knowing dread that this moment could not be contained or recreated.
                      JJJ, your reports are chock full of quotables, and this was my favourite. It could not have been said any better, never in a million years. I was LOL on your running-deprived habits of shopping for shoes you don't need and drinking out of waterbottles at the dinner table. Something I routinely do when I can't run! Favourite photo was of the sleeping buddies.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

GreenMan

Thanks guys your comments are always so generous and encouraging. I met Ed and Frank in the mid-90's. Frank deserves much, much credit for the way I write. When I write it's almost like I hear him speaking it sometimes. Spooky in a way. He has a new book out Marry a Pregnant Virgin Ed is one of the most gentle and kind souls you will ever meet. I'm honored to be the godfather of his younger son. He has yet to meet a stranger. jjj
                        Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.