Masters Running

The Book Club - Name Your Favorites or Latest Recommendations (Read 1548 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Of the books already mentioned, I liked The Time Traveller's Wife, The Alchemist, and Water for Elephants.

I also liked:

The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein - about car racing, not running, but told from the point of view of a great dog.

The Magician's Assistant, Bel Canto, and the Patron Saint of Liars, by Ann Patchett

Anything by Anne Tyler - one of my favorites is Saint Maybe

Thanks for the recommendations - I'm always looking for a good read.  I get most books at the library.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Like Dove, I read The Alchemist this summer and loved it.  This allegorical novel by Paul Coelho is far more than a story about a simple shepherd boy seeking his fortune.  It is a truly magical book that has the power to transform you into a better person.  There is so much wisdom on how to live your life well in this short novel.

This is reminiscent of Jonathan Livingston Seagull – remember that?  There was a sequel, too, that had similar deceptively simple but deep wisdom. 

Erika – I have read a lot of Dick Francis – thanks for the reminder.  I need to browse the library catalog and see if there are any I haven’t read yet. 

Robert Parker, too - anyone read his Spencer series about the Boston private detective?  I like those, too.

TomWhite – Lee Child is also one I like.  MikeE and C-R, you should try some of his books.  Very interesting protagonist, ex-military guy.

Roch – I am a library fanatic myself, but hey, every time there is a levy on the ballot for library funding, I’m out there voting for it, so I don’t feel guilty at all.

Enke – our library has free book downloads for the Kindle – just like checking out a book (21 days), but you don’t have to leave your home to get it. 

Any Sci-fi buffs?  Orson Scott Card - he wrote the Hugo and Nebula Award winner Ender's Game, but he's written lots of other stuff, too.  And Ursula Le Guin - The Left Hand of Darkness, another Hugo and Nebula Award winner, but I also loved the Earthsea trilogy - might go back and re-read it again after all these years, more magic and fantasy but lovely storyline.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

DH and I just saw the movie last week. Excellent - very intense. I didn't read the book so it took me a while to get into what was going on but it was a great movie.

Currently reading the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson. Jobs was a very interesting person - not sure I would want to get on his bad side. I also read "The Help" and liked the book better than the movie.

I'm kind of a non-fiction person so next on my list is the biography of Catherine the Great by Robert Massie.

Also liked In The Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson, who also wrote The Devil in the White City. Would recommend both of them as well.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I don't tend to have mainstream tastes (big surprise there) when it comes to books, but I did enjoy "The Help". I own "The Time Traveler's Wife" but haven't read it yet. That title was also made into a movie, I believe.

Probably the newest and best book I've read recently is "The Radleys" by Matt Haig. I absolutely love this author (he's even my friend on FB too!). Being a longtime fan of Tom Robbins, Kurt Vonnegut, Neil Gaiman and yes, Christopher Moore, Matt Haig's dry wit fits in exactly with my sensibilities. I need an author with a sense of humor, even when the story isn't about humorous things.

I tend to go for fantasy and sci-fi. Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files" is probably my favorite series; yes, there is another wizard named Harry, and actually, this one came first.

I like things relating to the oddness of human nature. rosecoloredglasses had recommended "The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake" by Aimee Bender last year sometime, and that was almost too odd for me to stomach (ha). I also read "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides around that same time, and while that was a more mainstream sort of title (read: Oprah selection), I actually did enjoy it.

I guess I haven't been reading much lately. I just ordered Stephen King's "11/22/63". I did like "The Stand" and "Cell", and even "Lisie's Story" was interesting, to say the least. Haven't read too much else of his stuff, since I'm not really a fan of horror.

As for how I read, I'm old school. I buy my books. Though before I commit to a new author or series, I'll get the book out of the library. If I like it, I'll buy a new copy to own, even though I've read it already. I've only read one book digitally so far (borrowed my MIL's Kindle because I couldn't get a copy of "The Help" from the library when it first came out). That was an odd experience; jury's still out.

I used to listen to audiobooks while running, primarily of titles that I'd read in the past, but that's been a hit-or-miss sort of thing for me. I figured running books would be good for that, so I tried that for a while, with titles that were new to me. I couldn't get past the opening chapters of "Once a Runner" on audio, but "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall was very enjoyable and an easy listen. My county library system lends out audiobooks as well as music CDs, so that makes the try-before-I-buy process simple as well. I just bought "Born to Run" in paperback this past September (at Powells in Portland!), but have yet to crack it open.

Heh, can you tell I like to read and talk about books a lot?? Thanks for starting this thread, Holly.

Dave59

I'm a fan of Kurt Vonnegut too.  I read most his books when I was in high school, but Amazon had all his books in Kindle format for about $2 a piece, so I bought a bunch of them and have been re-reading them (now and them).  I would love to go to the Vonnegut museum in Indianapolis.

My favorite book I read recently was, "Olive, The Other Reindeer."  Great story about a dog that thinks the the Rudolph song is about her when it goes, "all of the other reindeer."  So she goes to the north pole to help pull Santa's sleigh.  Next up, based on a recommendation from a friend, is, "The Stinky Cheese Man."

I'll read novels from Clancy, Ludlum, Patrick O'Brian, and others.  And I like books (that are probably chick books) -  the letter series from Sue Grafton, and the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich (and they are finally coming out with a movie next year based on the first one.) 

But I enjoy layman level philosophy and theology the most.  Like, "The Story of Philosophy" by Will Durant, "The Institutes" by Calvin, "Freedom of a Christian" by Luther, "Mere Christianity" by CS Lewis, etc. 

The Magician's Assistant, Bel Canto, and the Patron Saint of Liars, by Ann Patchett

Ohhhh, I loved Truth and Beauty.  It was so sad though.  I think it was her best.

Holly, our library has ebooks now too......just me being lazy in trying to figure out how to do this.  Blush

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

What a fun thread and thanks Holly for starting this and rochrunner for your question too!

I’ll start there and say my book habits are omnivorous in that I buy books (but at local booksellers as much as possible), use the library, read books on my Kindle Fire or Cloud reader on my MacBook Air, listen to audio books and devour them in all various forms of media as much as possible.  I still harbor an unrequited dream of illustrating childrens books so the beauty and art of the tangible book is something I’ll always love.  My mother didn’t have a driver’s license when I was a kid and we would walk to the local branch library with a Red Flyer wagon and get lots of books each week----in part so I’d learn English (Swiss-German was my first language) and also to make new friends from history and imaginary places.

I too enjoy Ann Patchett--State of Wonder is my current favorite from her and also Run 

Just last week I watched The Help after enjoying the book by Kathryn Stockett.

Other titles that I’ve read recently or have made my favorites list include: 

Dog On It: A Chet and Bernie Mystery by Spencer Quinn---hysterical and fiction

The Art of Racing in the Rain: A Novel by Garth Stein

A Dog’s Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron----fiction and a tear-jerker in a sweet way

A Secret Kept (fiction) and Sarah’s Key (novel but based on history of the Nazi deportation of children in France) by Tatiana De Rosnay

Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle, by Fiona Carnarvon ---non-fiction---we love the TV series Downton Abbey and stream it over the web from ITV in the UK

Mudbound, by Hilary Jordan---novel but based on the real experiences of sharecroppers in the Mississippi delta after WWII----need an iron stomach for this one---the racism and its horror

Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Isaacson (it’s great Skip!)

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Nothing Daunted by Dorothy Wickenden (non-fiction story of two Smith College alumnae from Central NY who trekked west to teach in a one-room school house in Colorado in the 1890s

Favorite running books:

Marathon Woman by Kathrine Switzer (and yes this is how her first name is spelled and the reason why is on the opening chapter)

Bowerman and the Men of Oregon by Kenny Moore

Duel in the Sun by John Brant

Favorites from this past holiday break:

The Wedding Gift by Marlen Suyapa Bodden,---fiction but based on the lives of slaves in Virginia in 1862

Daughters of the Declaration: How Women Social Entrepreneurs Built the American Dream by Claire Guadiani----non-fiction

A Big Little Life: A Memoir of a Joyful Dog Named Trixie, by Dean Koontz---non-fiction and a fabulous tear-jerker

The Ballad of Trenchmouth Taggart by M. Glenn Taylor---fiction

The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner’s Semester at America’s Holiest University by Kevin Roose----non-fiction

Amelia Earhart: The Turbulent Life of an American Icon by Kathleen C. Winters---non-fiction

These are mostly 2011 and early 2012 reads. I read very quickly and yet absorb each word happily and greedily.

SteveP

Batman Knightfall.

SteveP

The Art of Racing in the Rain: A Novel by Garth Stein 

Agree with Carolyn & Karin - I also enjoyed this a lot although parts were emotionally hard for me.  It's really not about car racing though.  It's about love, and trust, and letting go, and following your dreams. As told by a very wise great dog.

Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Isaacson (it’s great Skip!) 

Noted!  Thank you!

wildchild

Carolyn

Karin, you sure read a lot!  I guess you travel a lot too - you probably get lots of reading time on planes.

A couple more I thought of:

The Curious  Incident of the  Dog in the NIght-Time, by Mark Haddon. Told from the point of view of an autistic teenager.

Philosophy Made Simple - by Robert  Hellenga.  A story about a man starting a new life in a new place after his kids are grown.

I think I'll print this thread and take it to the library when I get home!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

"Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen is a great book and the movie does not really do it justice in my opinion.

Finished Jobs last night so I read Water For Elephants today.  Great suggestion Mary - thank you!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Robert Parker, too - anyone read his Spencer series about the Boston private detective?  I like those, too.

Yes, I love Spencer and his dog Pearl!  Wink    Did you know that Robert Parker died though?  

You are welcome Skip!

Has anyone read The Hunger Games?   I was in the grocery store this weekend and the clerks were all talking about this good book.   Then the bagger was telling me that he read it too as he was taking my groceries out.   I just wonder if it is a "younger" generation book.    I went on the B&N website to get a little taste of what it is about, and not sure I would enjoy it.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

A couple more I thought of:

The Curious  Incident of the  Dog in the NIght-Time, by Mark Haddon. Told from the point of view of an autistic teenager.

That was a great book and gave me a lot of insight into some of my DS's issues growing up. It helped me see some things from his point of view.

The only book I've ever read that actually brought me to tears at the end (not normally an emotional guy!) was The Road by Cormac McCarthy, again because it was such an incredible father-son relationship story and reminded me of my DS's and my "us against the world" years. But be warned: this is a very dark story; I tried to read some of it to my DW and she had to tell me to stop because it was just too intense.

Then I went and saw the movie and had the same reaction!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Did you know that Robert Parker died though?  

Has anyone read The Hunger Games?  

Yes, bummer.  I just got Killing the Blues: Jesse Stone Series, Book 10 for my Kindle to read next week when I go to Orlando for a conference.

I read the Hunger Games trilogy, at the suggestion of my son.  I thought they were pretty good.

ETA - I just realized that Killing the Blues was written by someone else who supposedly collaberated enought with Robert Parker enough to be able to continue on the series....hmm...we'll see...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

We all loved the Hunger Games.  My 10 yo daughter is about half way through the second book now.  I could not put the first one down and tore through the series.  Definitely a great series for kids too. 

Also Loved the whole Stieg Larsson series.  They were great books.  We have seen the Swedish movies, but have not been to see the English version yet. 

Another vote for Unbroken, truly a fantastic book and it's about a runner.  Just an absolutely amazing true story. 

I also loved The Art of Racing in the Rain and  A Dog's Purpose.  Both are wonderful, though they will make you cry! 

I'm currently reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog.  My mother gave it to me and insisted I read it. I'm undecided as of now whether I like it or it's horrible.  Definitely tough going in parts.  I'll report back when I finish.

Once a runner . . .