Masters Running

Biggest Loser Fans (Read 214 times)

Slo

Any Biggest Loser fans here ? I'm glad to see we don't have the vindictive, back stabbing game players with this group as we did last season. And watching Bob lose temper was hilarious.......... I've got my early favorites picked. One is Daniel.......I just hope his best friend who was sent home doesn't ruin it for him. I think the kid (Daniel) has got some heart. His best bud David doesn't have much of a support group at home. Tara will be this seasons "hottie"

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh, I am a Biggest Loser Addict (Much to DH's dismay). I LOVED it last night when Bob lost his temper and watching Jillian's reaction was great too. I think Jolee is going to be the one we love to hate this season and she'll keep hanging on week after week. I can't remember names yet - but I really gave points to the gal in green that won the challenge and then gave her phone call home to another contestant.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

xor

You don't have vindictive players YET. It's still early. A couple seasons ago, players went through some personality/ego changes as they went through physical changes and "the guys" got horribly, horribly cocky (or at least were edited to appear so), and I really hated the end of that season. That said, while I want to be a continuing fan of the show, I just can't take it anymore. The way they edit it, the way they stretch it out to two hours. GAH. That show should be 30-60 minutes, max. Seriously. We can't see more than 3 people weigh in without another commercial? And the fake drama going into commercials is so very annoying. It's become a drinking game (that's healthy, right? sigh) to decide whether all those grimaces and oh no's! heading into a commercial mean the person hosed the weigh in... or whether it was just a ploy by the production staff. I can handle the product placement and the in-show commercials. "Yes, team, let's all chew a piece of Wrigley's Spearmint Gum. Mmmmmm." But the sheer number of regular commercials and the manipulative nature - that I can't take anymore. I will watch a recorded version every now and then just to check in. I skip through all the chaff. It takes about 15 minutes to watch. This includes the challenges, some of the conversations and interviews, and the actual weigh ins. The other 75 minutes is filler. And that ratio is just WRONG.

Slo

You don't have vindictive players YET. It's still early. A couple seasons ago, players went through some personality/ego changes as they went through physical changes and "the guys" got horribly, horribly cocky (or at least were edited to appear so), and I really hated the end of that season. That said, while I want to be a continuing fan of the show, I just can't take it anymore. The way they edit it, the way they stretch it out to two hours. GAH. That show should be 30-60 minutes, max. Seriously. We can't see more than 3 people weigh in without another commercial? And the fake drama going into commercials is so very annoying. It's become a drinking game (that's healthy, right? sigh) to decide whether all those grimaces and oh no's! heading into a commercial mean the person hosed the weigh in... or whether it was just a ploy by the production staff. I can handle the product placement and the in-show commercials. "Yes, team, let's all chew a piece of Wrigley's Spearmint Gum. Mmmmmm." But the sheer number of regular commercials and the manipulative nature - that I can't take anymore. I will watch a recorded version every now and then just to check in. I skip through all the chaff. It takes about 15 minutes to watch. This includes the challenges, some of the conversations and interviews, and the actual weigh ins. The other 75 minutes is filler. And that ratio is just WRONG.
          Can't disagree with much of anything you said. I keep hoping they show more of the workouts. People generally have no clue what it takes to actually lose weight and the show could really do a huge service in giving people even more tools. Finally, last night we heard that they are doing up to 8 hours of cardio activity a day. The program does very little to show how the contestants deal with the hunger issues and the angst they go thru in dealing with them. One of our local boys was a winner in episode 2.....I think.....Matt Hoover, The Iowa Wrestler....he's put several pounds back on but he still delivers motivational speeches. There is alot he can not tell you about the show but what he can is still quite amazing......He is also married to the runner up of that episode and she is still pretty smokin! For me, it's the transformations and the sheer will that we get to see from time to time like Tara's charge up the hill last night to win the challange. It's not like the other "reality" shows don't have their own blantant product placement ads......maybe not quite as in your face as the Biggest Loser has become. I imagine most of the time spent on the ranch makes for pretty boring television.
          xor

I have no doubt that much of the time on the ranch makes for boring television, but I gotta figure that they could come up with 43 minutes of good content (which fills a one hour show) out of 7+ days worth of lots of people interacting. BTW, I've read in many places that sometimes it isn't really exactly a week between weigh-ins and stuff that is edited so that it appears to be a week. (note that this is also true about other time-specific shows. Not every pitstop on Amazing Race is exactly 12 hours. Sometimes they are 2-3 days if there are production issues. This I know for sure, because I know two former contestants) I totally agree that showing more workout and nutrition-based stuff would make for a more useful show, and perhaps a more compelling show. But then again, maybe not. People surely are tuning in, so clearly people find it compelling enough. I really want to like it. And I *do* like it better when the folks aren't vindictive and scheming.

Tramps

I don't watch this show, but have seen bits of it. One thing to keep in mind about "reality" shows in general is that they are typically scripted. Writers create a broad story arc that highlights certain players, features conflict, etc. (In fact this became an issue with the writer's union since production companies once refused to give writers credit for their work.) Anyway, once a script has been created, editing--often radical editing--is done to fill in the story with appropriate visuals and comments. It is not uncommon, for example, for one contestant's comment to be spliced with a reaction shot from another contestant from a completely different incident. It's also common for events to be shown out of sequence, comments are lifted out of context, etc. etc. All participants sign a waiver giving the producers the right to do this; they cannot legally challenge their portrayal. Usually there's a disclaimer about all this that briefly flashes at the end of the program noting that "editing" not affecting the show's outcome has been done and that the program is for entertainment purposes only.

Be safe. Be kind.

xor

Yes, there's even a term for some of the shenanigans: the "frankenedit" or "frankenbite", which is where they splice multiple soundbites together to make it appear that someone said something that they did not, in fact, say. Or (similar to tramps' example of a reaction shot), they'll offer up person A's comment and person B's response... except that this was digitally created. Person B was not, in fact, responding at all to person A and said what they said in a wholly different context. From what I can tell, BL does less of the frankenbite thing than, say, survivor, but they surely do play fast and loose with the reaction shot thing. BUT, holy smokes it is amazing to see these transformations. We're still being manipulated or kept in the dark regarding the HOW and the HOW LONG, but the results are the results.

And watching Bob lose temper was hilarious..........
                  "ALL I WANT IS FOR YOU TO GIVE ME 30 SECONDS! YOU QUIT AT 20 EVERY BLEEPIN' TIME!" SurprisedShockedSurprisedBig grin
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

My preferred way of watching BL is after I TiVo it - can cut through a lot of the crap that way. I just love watching the transformations most of all. I too wish they'd show more of the workouts though and what they are actually doing, for how long, etc.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com