Masters Running

Masters Mardi Gras <b>Monday</b> Runs and Such (Read 523 times)

dg.

I'm so behind. Catching up from sometime last year.... Mary....oh no! The bridge to craziness. How do you like it? Wink. You have been doing some really tough runs lately. Love the picture. PJ... good luck Friday. Holly did you ever pick a paint color? Tramps..
    So I’m literally the poster boy for our running club this year...which is a sad commentary on the state of our club.
    I don't think so! Meg, so what you are saying is, that if a woman ahead of me gets leg cramps, I'll win my marathon? Big grin. whoot. Sue, thanks for the beads. Twocat... good luck on your test(s). How frustrating. What... if you're up to going through this again just to consolidate... are your symptoms? wtg for your 'kids'. Erika... that is scary. I'm glad you're ok. You go so far & are so vulnerable. My only tips to add.. from my one & only close call a month ago, is first of all, don't get lost. Second, I think a thermos of something hot in the car isn't a bad idea. One more... (embarrassing, this is only Michigan after all) I've put a backup balaclava, gloves, hat etc in a zipped bag with a hand warmer in it. I did an hour of a mix of core, etc. this morning, & then had a massage. He (also a personal trainer) thinks I shouldn't try to run for another 2 weeks. It's been 1 already. Well, maybe it's time to really fix this. (an attempt at maturity. how'd I do?)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Sorry, but I am very short on time, and behind here at RA big time...since I can't log on here at home on the weekends Sad Sat: 6.5 very easy miles with high winds and below zero windchill...actually feels like I burnt my face. Sun: 5 very easy miles running mostly on ice, but did NOT bust my behind. 25 miles for the week, and bumping it up to 30 this week....see, I can do this right. And I will quickly add, I have slowed down and will stay at slow paces as I increase mileage....and I am pain free and luv'n it Smile Will catch up with everyone later...promise. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly did you ever pick a paint color?
        Yes (finally), after several quarts and coats of paint. The final pick: top half is macadamia, the bottom half is singe, and the wainscoting and trim are classic white. (In actuality, the colors are a sort of light cocoa and darker cocoa.) Looks great with the beige carpet, dark green sectional sofa, and brick fireplace, just the sort of warm effect I wanted in the family room. Much better than the “blood-red semi-gloss and putty” that the previous owners left us, which made the room feel more like a cave. Erika - a good reminder to all who run in cold temps. Also, for my LRs in the cold, I have begun to carry a cellphone in my Spibelt, just in case.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Yes (finally), after several quarts and coats of paint. The final pick: top half is macadamia, the bottom half is singe, and the wainscoting and trim are classic white. (In actuality, the colors are a sort of light cocoa and darker cocoa.) Looks great with the beige carpet, dark green sectional sofa, and brick fireplace, just the sort of warm effect I wanted in the family room. Much better than the “blood-red semi-gloss and putty” that the previous owners left us, which made the room feel more like a cave.
          I love the look of "flats" as opposed to semi-gloss or gloss, but found out the hard way that there's no cleaning them. Evil grin At least I haven't found one.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Erika, I just had to add that your story shows an excellent reason to run with an extra layer tied around your waist! Big grin On my long run a week ago it was in the mid 30's and windy when I started out, and I didn't need my windshirt but brought it anyway. I ran over to a 3-mile loop, stashed my snacks and water bottle under a tree, and kept my windshirt with me (around my waist). That was fine for the first lap. On the second lap, when I hit a good headwind, I felt chilly and put the windshirt on. I stopped briefly for water and snack at the tree, but not long enough to get chilled. By the start of the third lap, my hands were really cold and I couldn't get them warm, so I bailed and ran over to the rec center (about a mile away). I think the temperature was dropping, as it was late in the afternoon and the sun was getting low. In hindsight, I should have brought a hat, and kept it in my pocket till I needed it. I did put up the hood on my windshirt, but still couldn't get warm enough. Today is a rest day for me, even though it's in the 60's today in Denver! It's supposed to be warm all week, otherwise I wouldn't waste a warm day.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Steve, pshew, as others have said, thank goodness you and DS are ok, and the cows, too. I agree with Holly--nothing you'd plan or wish for, but it may have a significant impact. twocat, how proud you must be, that is truly huge for your students! Wow, some good economic news for a change! I have a trial up this week, so not much time. Ribs, how come you never have to come to Rapid? Get a client here! I've decided. If there's reincarnation, I want to return and be one of Mary's dogs. grins, A
              Masters 2000 miles
              PJH

I took a look at my treadmill before going out tonight and decided there is no way I could do 18 miles on it at one time. 'Hats off ' to you Sue! Erika - A good reminder. Things can take a turn for the worse very quickly. dg - thanks! First run with my running "mentee" tonight. This is the same program I participated in last year where 10 teenagers from our local children's aid society team up and train to run the relay at the Mississauga Marathon in the spring (2 groups of 5). Most of these kids come from tough situations/backgrounds. The goal is to create a positive environment where they set and achieve individual goals, as well as work together as a team. Each kid is paired up with a mentor. We run with them 1-2x per week. In addition, they meet and run together as a group with the program coordinators/coaches. The local "Y" provides meeting space, memberships, etc. They get to hear a "guest speaker" each week talk about their life issues and how running has helped them. The highlight last year is when they got to meet and here Katherine Switzer's story. My "mentee" seems like a really good kid, anxious to participate and quite engaging. We ran for 30 mins or about 3 mi/5 km. He will need to run 8 kms during the marathon. He will do just fine. I'm thinking that he might surprise himself through all of this. Have a great night everyone! PJ
                  Just listend to Riblet's "Linus and Lucy." He sounds just like Vince Guaraldi! Pass on the kudos, Spareribs. I think you have a future Carnegie Hall musician on your hands...

Renee the dog

OK, I can't blame it on the cold medicine, 'cause I haven't taken any, but I just registered for my first marathon in late Nov. Nothing like the early discounts to get me off the fence. Smile jdmom3 & dg, I'm still planning on Shamrock, but I figured I might experience one in Nov. as I'll be coming off my 18 mi race in Oct. Just doing it to finish, then I can see where I'm at so I can have a better time at Shamrock 2010! Wildchild, I think I have my answer for you on why I am getting faster. I think it is a combination of slowly building mileage combined with the simple belief that I will get faster. I'm too dense to realize I'm getting older and that it could translate to slowing down. Simply. Doesn't. Compute. Clowning around Off to check out Riblet on Youtube.... P.S. Twocat, cool on your kids! Also, you're in CT, right? We should run into each other eventually at a race once you get all healed up. I'll bring the flask. Wink (for afterwards...)

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Ribs, Your comeback is going great. Enjoy a day off (Guilt Free) you have more than earned one. BTW I am on day 10 with no days off and am feeling no ill effects as of yet. I have new confidence in my program thank you for your input. Good advice from a great guy. 4 easy 9:30 overall pace, This was a cut back week originally on my schedule and still is ,sort of, my weekly milage is actually up but my LR was shorter. I have added days to my schedule so it really is less miles , sort of. Tongue Erika, Good idea to share these stories. We people who run in those kind of conditions sometimes forget how dangerous it could be if we get complacent. As much as I hate it I have started carrying my Cell on my longer runs. Slo, I have said it before and I will say it again...teaching my boys to drive was the scariest 3 or 4 years of my life. Glad this worked out for the better for you and your son. By the way our local paper, The Flint Journal, ran an article about Barefoot Rick on Sunday. It had a close up picture of the bottom of his feet. Lets just say he will never be a foot model. Wink Good article with pros and cons of barefoot running anyway. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Spareribs and Twocat - thanks for the encouragement -- feels like a good plan to me even tho i'd like to be running more - i know i just need to keep at it adding running minutes a little at a time twocat - hope they figure out what's going on dg - hope you heal quickly!! steve - scary accident but i think your son will come out with a valuable lesson and be even more cautious in the long run erica - hypothermia is scary!! glad you're ok i pretty much did a repeat of yesterday except to it to the treadmill today -- 4.1 miles in just over 50 minutes with same combo of walking/running as yesterday........then did 10 minutes on the arc trainor to give me a full hour of cardio today sooooooooooo glad i am finally starting to feel like me again!! thursday is my 6 week post-op appt and i hope to get the all clear to start training for a sprint tri!!

denise

King of PhotoShop

Deez, I read all posts every day, but can't reply to them all, just like most of us. But just know that I am watching your recovery with great interest.. Larry, those are kind words, but you are the one doing the running. I am glad you are feeling peppy and excited with your plan. Aamos, I didn't realize just how close we are. A few miles up the street so to speak. On my planned day off tomorrow, get this, all the Iowans are so excited at temps in the 50's! I hadn't the heart to say it's kinda warmer than that in Dallas. SLR, that code is the reason why I fly to Omaha and drive up. Bad karma to book a trip to SUX. And finally, as to Riblet's piece, that is so kind of all of you. Thanks so much. Spareribs
                          dg.

does anyone ever have trouble reading this font? Holly... it sounds nice. And a welcome change.. First time through, I thought you said the previous owners left you "blood-red semi-gloss & puffy.". PJ... you're welcome. I remember your marathon kids last year. Nice to hear about your new "mentee". Yay hi Aamos Smile. How are Dan, Frank, & Pedey? Nono, that's so exciting!!!! ... want to tell us which one? Or did I miss that? Glad you're still doing Shamrock .... you made me consider signing up for that right now, but maybe I should get through the first one first. I wonder if it fills up fast though... Ok, we can be in sort of the same position. First time, almost at the same time. Except you are younger, & faster.. & better. hmm. Well, like I said. sort of Roll eyes Smile thanks Denise! You are doing so well. I'm glad you're feeling like you again. Good luck Thursday. Tomorrow night I get a re-check with the trainer I saw 2 weeks ago. I'm going to ask him why he thinks I keep tripping. Embarrassed. I'm assuming it's part of the whole injury pattern. (made a list of questions earlier. kept hearing Jefferson Airplane in my head tonight Wink )(does that make me a Boomer?)
                            evanflein

3.3 slow creaky recovery miles tonight at the gym, watching the news. *yawn* But it was fun having DH go to the gym with me even if he did just do the elliptical, then we headed to the hot tub for a bit and when he went to the sauna, I did about 4 slow laps. Felt really nice.