Masters Running

Sunny Sunday Daily Sept 28 (Read 592 times)

more - In time Big grin I like to drink beer! I've been around for awhile More to come
    you sure are a mysterious one!! Confused walt -- will turkey bacon work?? i'm not crazy about real bacon or brussel sprouts but i'm willing to give them another try.........now beets -- yummmy yummy .......... i however am in the need of low-cal recipes - i really need to get rid of 10lbs!!!! HHHHHHHEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!! Undecided Roll eyes

denise

DH, you really really don't get it, do you. Just count the number of members lost here the last couple of days, and see if it's worth your ego....grow up. Because of you, there are some well respected members that may never post here again...I will not mention names...as some has asked about.
      I don't suffer fools gladly. Please take the hint. Dark Horse
      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
      evanflein

That's wonderful news about Jura's first marathon. Thanks, Tet, for letting us know how it went. And it sounds like you had a good time, too! So happy you had good weather. I really loved that course, the trail part was just beautiful. I went out for 12.5 miles with the first bit sort of slushy from the snow... then it got just wet, then dry as I went down the hill to the main road. We sure got more snow up here than down on the "flats" and I dressed for how it felt up here. The sun came out after awhile and I took off my gloves by mile 4, but needed them on the way back home when the clouds covered the sun. I was amazed at how "quick" and evenly paced the first 9 miles were. Then it was uphill stuff (gradual at first, then steeper) and my pace slowed pretty fast. Mile splits: 8:02, 8:00, 7:59, 8:02, 8:08, 8:10, 8:06, 8:09, 8:08, 8:30, 8:29, 9:07 (walk breaks up hill), 8:58 last half mile. First run with my new Garmin 305. The walk breaks were to get HR below 170... This thing is fun, but sometimes I wonder if it was better not knowing...? I did stop a few times to play with the settings. My avg HR on this run was 160, max was 179. I learned I can go pretty zippy downhill and on the flat with it in the 134 - 150 range, but throw in some hills or headwind and it climbs up pretty quickly. This month is shaping up to be my lowest mileage month since last October. I guess taper/recovery/travel will do that. (Dark Horse, maybe just stop responding... let it rest... let's move on)
          The reason I logged on tonight was not to swat mosquitoes, but to post about Dark Colt. Tonight as dusk was darkening to night, I dropped off Dark Colt at the park for a 2 mile run. His middle school cross-country coach had asked everyone to run the 2 mile course once over the weekend, before a time trial on Tuesday. I suggested he run with "comfortable effort" and waited in my car for him to return. Although it was dark and drizzling and he had run alone through the woods and fields, he was cheerful as we drove home. To my surprise, he said, "Maybe we can run the loop together sometime." He has not asked to run with me in years. At home after supper, he stood in the kitchen doorway and stretched his arms upward. Suddenly I saw him not as a 12-year-old but a young man. His voice has deepened this year. I said to Dark Mare, "Look at him!" He grinned and volunteered, "I really enjoyed my run tonight." I asked, "What did you enjoy about it?" He said, "I just felt happy. I enjoyed running alone in the rain." He paused, then said: "I sang while I ran." "What did you sing?" "Oh, just random things." Dark Horse
          I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
            DH-That's great for you and Dark Colt...
            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Marathon Maniac #957

Dark Colt seems to be doing very well. I remember when you were overseas and he was going through a rough patch. I'm glad that you're being home has made such a difference.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."