Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 3.21.15 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Lots of good runs yesterday, as well as a couple 'a great photos (I also thought the butterfly girl could have been Mariposai - the quote was something she'd say!). It's good to see you here, Tall. Good luck with the doc regarding your CT results, Roch. Sorry about the Hub's spilled coffee, Leslie. How'd the PB run go, MS? Sorry about your strange-looking locusts, Twocat. I'm glad you've got some good weather, Evanflein, even if it results in slushy roads. Good for you for skipping Sunday's race to prevent further injury, Mike - I always knew you were smart! I'm glad you had a good week in the PNW, Ribs. Get home safely. Seeing people talking about last long runs before Boston reminds me how quickly the year is flying by.

7.1 slow RW miles at J o'clock in 26F temps. We had about a half inch of snow overnight. It made for lousy traction, but wasn't enough to warrant YakTraks. The footing was a little better in the untouched snow, rather than in car tracks, so I stayed by the side of the road and did the best I could.

Good luck to this weekend's racer:  03/21 Ileneforward - Seal Beach 10k, SB CA

Have a greta first full day of Spring!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

roch, thanks for posting the 2006 Crim picture.  I have had that picture posted on the refrigerator ever since that day.  Tammy, nice racing for your son.  fatozzig, I like the butterfly picture and it's caption.

Nice long runs for Mike, Twocat, and mari.

I haven't run since Tuesday.  I've been dealing with a sore throat and a cough for over a week.  In the past, I've always tried to ignore this sort of thing and continue on as usual.  Using that philosophy, I did the race on Sunday and a run on Tuesday.  Instead of shaking the crud, it kept getting worse.  I've been moping around since Tuesday and went to the doctor yesterday.  Today, I feel like I've turned the corner.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Tramps

Nice "blast from the past" Crim photo yesterday.  I still have DaveinAA song mixes on my iPod!

6 miles on a trail with some quite muddy spots.

Be safe. Be kind.

I hope you recover from your ailments soon, Tom, but I'm also an expert at trying to ignore that kind of thing. At our age, etc...

I really thought fatozzig's photo was an early pic of our own Mariposai!

I've calmed down a bit over my test results, especially after doing some research on the subject. I'll still let the doc have the final word, but I don't expect that there's any specific new actions to take.

A meh sort of 5K this morning. I was definitely feeling my hip/glute/hammy injury, so tried to go as slow as I could and still feel like I was moving, which turned out to be about a 10:50 pace. Finished in 33 and change for a modern-day PW for me (I can remember way back when that would have been a goal time). I had varying amounts of pain most of the time, so the best moment of all was when I finally stopped running after the finish line and the pain instantly disappeared.

I hope the rest of you racers and runners have better luck this weekend!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Glad  the stress  on your results is diminished, Roch.

Me, I have all the MC Solar mixes on mine.

two laps around the lake for 6.25 miles and 9:30 pace in a nice snow shower.  About an inch of snow on the ground, but excellent footing.  Felt very nice.  It's sort of strange, but I think this is the first I've been out WHILE it was snowing since November.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Saturday!

DH and I went to a vacation club presentation this morning because they were offering a week's cruise and two round-trip airfare tickets.  We haven't been to one of those in many years, and I was pleased that they weren't pushy, but we did not purchase.  In truth, we probably won't go on the cruise, but the airline tickets may come in handy.  Anyone want a couple of cruises?

30 minutes on the bike trainer this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hi Everyone!  I've missed being up to date here.  Saw Tall was here.  What else is new, can someone recap?  Life has been incredibly busy, and my knee is still wacko so I am down to one run a week, which feels like zero to me.  Physically I don't feel like myself at all - aches and pains that I never had when I was running regularly, so I believe there must be some kind of systemic protective effect from exercise.

I picked up a part time job to supplement my income from my 0.75% FTE job two weeks ago, so have been busy with that.  I figured as soon as I earned enough money from it to pay for a laptop (with all the bells and whistles), I was going to buy one.  But then last week I heard some good news about a potential full time job, and was so happy I went out and bought the laptop today, and here I am, typing away, happy as a clam and embracing technology (I used to be a bit of a Luddite).  Now....hopefully I didn't jump the gun!

Had a wonderful date last night with Door# 28?? whatever number!  Need to update the spreadsheet.  But he didn't ask me out again, which is totally fine....it was just so nice to meet someone I would actually see again....  Got a few more guys in the queue.  As they say, when it rains it pours, and so I think Springtime must have something to do with it.  Oh, and this guy was a sub 5 min miler in the day.  I think he said 4:21 was his best mile time.  But he became a math nerd instead.  Gosh....so cute too...dang it!

I hope I can get back to regular running......and back to regular RA reading and posting...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Hey enke--nice to hear from you!  It sounds like things are looking up for you...except that dang knee.  Have you gone in and had it checked out?

I had a decent run, today.  Since it's my last "long" run before the marathon (I never used to consider a 16 miler a long run before the Hanson plan)  I felt I had to have a good run today if, for nothing else, to boost my confidence a little bit.  I set out with a 7:17 pace as a goal and ended up doing a 7:04 average pace...but it was tough.  Anyway--16 miles in 1:52:53.

Okay--I gotta go--Debbie and I both worked all day, today, so we're going out for dinner.  See ya!

Mariposai

Cheers to a new laptop Enkie. Glad to see you back here.

Great blast from the past photo indeed.

I need to upload the McSolar and dAAve mixes again. They are the best.

Glad to see Holly managing the non running restriction just fine.

Today was that loong run prior to marathon for me. 22 miles in splendid weather and about 10' faster than any other 22 miler in the past. Mighty happy with the run.

My view at about mile 16.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Nice, Nancy, and I don't think you need to worry about any of those mountains at Boston....You are ready!

Good run for you, too, Mike E. What marathon are you running? Have you done Boston?

Yay Enke! I hope the knee allows you to get back to regular running and ^5 on the nice time with Door # whatever it is.... Hope you get another outing soon.

DH and I had a nice relaxed morning at the house, then I took him to his office and went for a run from there. It was good to get out a bit earlier so the paths were not so soft, but by the end of my run I was dealing with slush and puddles. 8.6 miles today at about 8:16 avg pace, and that was ok, if not a little faster than planned. Gorgeous day though, and we'll have more of the same for the next week or so.

SteveP

Get well soon TomS.

Does anyone else get fired up when Enke's happy?

Zip.

SteveP