Masters Running

Port Austin 8K - Port Austin, MI (Read 210 times)

Summary 44:56 - 9:03/mi 27/40 OA 2/2 AG - Oldest runner in the 8K This is my ninth year of participating in races and my 8th consecutive year for this race. It takes place in the scenic little tourist town of Port Austin at the tip of Michigan's "thumb" on the shores of Lake Huron. The race starts and ends at a park near the edge of town and in view of the lake. Due my lingering, but hopefully improving, hamstring issues, I planned to take it easy. I felt that a 9 minute pace was the best I should aim for and that I should back off if there was any problem. As Port Austin is east of most of my races, I hoped to see some running friends I haven't seen in awhile as well as some of the ones I have seen recently and it turned out that way. The temperature was in the mid 70s, with a light wind, and humidity. Before the race, I visited with some of my friends and a young lady who was running her first race. She was vacationing with her husband and daughter in the area and saw the race advertised locally. Since she is training for the Crim in August, she thought it would be good practice for her. One of the race director's, Eric, started the race then jumped in himself. He passed me quickly and sped to the front. Half a mile into the race, Eric stopped to direct runners and walkers where the route for the 8K split off from the route for the 2 mile run/walk. Within the next half mile, Eric sped past me again. About a quarter mile into the race, I looked at my Garmin and saw a pace of just over 8:30, too fast. I was coming up on a young gal and decided to use her as a pacer and see how that went. The first two miles go through a quiet residential area. At the mile mark, I was just under 9 minutes. Shortly before the two mile mark, I was feeling good and passed the gal I was following. At the two mile mark, I was right at 18 minutes. About that time, the road changed from paved to gravel, went through a wooded area, turned, and went up a slight grade and through farmland for about a mile. I spotted a fiftyish looking man running with a couple of young gals just ahead and decided to try them for pacers. At the three mile mark, I was about 20 seconds over a nine minute pace and pulled ahead of my most recent pacers. Shortly we turned onto a paved road and I heard the man tell the young gals he was working pretty hard and they should go ahead. One of the young gals then passed me decisively. I don't think anyone passed me after that. At the four mile mark, I was still over a nine minute pace but had gained a few seconds. About that time, we crested a small hill and could see Lake Huron in front of us. It was about half a mile to the lake and another half mile along the highway that parallels the lake and then into the park and the finish. Nearing the finish several of my faster friends who had already finished were encouraging me and the others as we came in. It was then time for more visiting, refreshments, and the awards before heading home. Among those I talked with were the lady I spoke to before the race who was happy with her first race, another lady who was getting ready for her first Crim, and local running legend, Carl, who, at age 76 did the 2 mile race. After getting home, I checked my mile splits which were 8:53, 9:06, 9:22, 9:05, and 8:28 for the last .96 mile (8:48 pace). During and after the race as well as this morning on my four mile walk, my hamstring didn't feel any worse than it has been lately. Hopefully, I didn't do any damage and am continuing to recover. It was another good day at the races. TomS
    Tramps

Another nice RR, Tom! Way to go finishing strong on that last mile. Hope the hamstring is okay tomorrow.

Be safe. Be kind.

That is very encouraging about the hamstring. You always have a great time tallking to the other runners too. I would love to find a race with only 40 people!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tom--sound like a fun little race. sounds neat to have the race director participating! Hope he wasn't stuck with the timing, too. Good smart running and socializing for you, as usual. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tom, Nice race and fun report. My family spent every 4th of July at Sleeper State park so I know that area well. I used to love to run from the park to Caseville grab a slushie from the Dairy Queen and then run back. It was all along the lake shore and was a perfect 10 mile run. I always thought it would make a great race. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

King of PhotoShop

Tom, what pleasure it is to feel your enjoyment at your races when I read your reports and the joy of your seeing your running friends. You are also running better every year, as you well know, you sandbagger. Your two finishing miles were at a faster pace than your first three. That is how to race. Well done. Spareribs
                Tom, Your enthusiasm for running and life shine thru every report. Great race. You continue to be one of the standards for this website. Best Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Tom: You ran a very disciplined race and benifited from it as you were right on goal pace and ran negative splits for the 1st and 2nd half. I hope that hamstring behaves itself. Wink
                  selb3

Way to go Tom. Looks like you are racing/running well, and (fingers crossed) the hamstring is resolving itself. I bet that view of Lake Huron upon cresting the hill is neat. Congratulations. Dave
                    DickyG

What a great report on a great event...I absolutely love these localized events...not too many runners and running with some folks you know...the fact that you've run this event 8 times speaks very highly. Among the things that stood out for me were: ...you planned out a goal, stuck to it, and hit it. ...I think you ran a great race considering your hammies & mid-70's temps ...you paced yourself correctly ...I especially liked the way you picked off your pacers one by one. Top performance! DickyG

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice job, Tom, and glad your hamstring issues seem to be healing.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I thought I'd already replied to your RR, but apparently not (must have intended to, then got distracted, and I'm sure you know how that goes these days!). Anyway, it sounds like another pleasant race in a very pleasant locale. Like Larry, I used to camp at Sleeper with my DS in his younger days, and we know the stretch of road between Caseville and Port Austin very well (played a few games of Putt-Putt in both towns). You ran a good race in spite of caring for your injury. I would guess that you'll be ready for the Crim when the time comes. Hard to believe you were the oldest 8K runner; must have been the small field. But you apparently still showed some of the younger folks the way home!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"