Masters Running

4.22.13 - Monday's Daily (Read 56 times)

dg.

flyby post to say Yay Shorty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

similar number of exclamation points added to Yay Leslie!  (...)

Henrun

Great photos Posie. Jocelyn is such a cutie- we had 4 little cuties here yesterday.

Did 10 miles on the Charles this morning- longest run since last July-slow but very satisfying. Now waiting to observe a moment of silence at 2:50 pm- the exact time the bombs went off a week ago.

Marj and I are heading to Amsterdam on Wednesday for 3 days of sightseeing followed by a bike tour of tulip time in the Netherlands.

Dave59 gotta love that cake!

rochrunner good luck getting into shape for your cycling trip.

stumpy77 fumes.  Any other questions?  Wink

Econo welcome back.  Hope to see you in the daily more.  Turkeys are nature's best entertainment.

deez4boyz congratulations to your DH on his new job!

Paavo S your garden sounds delicious!

La Tortuga welcome back and hope your running restart goes smoothly.

tselbs 20s! Shocked Does you weather know what time of year it is?

SteveP good for you and Tag.  The news about how many solidarity runs there were world wide is quite impressive as is the money that they seemed to have raised.

evanflein well at least you are no longer reporting on sub-zero temperatures.  Relative to that some slush removal seems pretty tame.

Mustang Sally up until my cell phone came along to provide reliable maps I would be running around with a map in hand  whenever I traveled!  I would also get lost a lot even with the map.  Sad  My DW had a policy of not doing my first run while traveling with me to make sure I worked the bugs out of the route first.

OrangeMat forget the paper bag!  Most people cannot run 3 miles at any pace let alone do over 6!

Hemerocallus my tulips became deer dinners as well.  I had sprayed them but then I went away.  By the time I had returned it was too late.  Rain, time, new growth whatever the deer had munched the poor things down.  Cry

fatozzig I somehow suspect you will recover in time to avoid needing the 10 visit ticket.  Just be patient and only start up again when you are 100% sure everything feels fine when you do.

Opie okay I am still confused about what you are doing.  Covering the hears for who?  Anyway, glad you like whatever it is you are doing.

TammyinGP congratulations to your group on the fund raising!  I am sure they will appreciate it and doing an event like yours encourages others to raise money which helps too.

rhoon phast not the ideal way to run a race, eh?  Wink  Pride will likely get him back out.  Fear of a lifetime of ribbing by friends about your last race where you crawled home to the finish is a powerful motivator!

breger1 congratulations on your return to 15+ mile running!

coastwalker backs have been a problem since people stopped walking on all fours.  Bloody evolution not going all as planned!  Angry

Jlynne be nice to that hamstring!  They can take time to calm down and get mad fast.  Congratulations to your DS#2.  Best wishes to all on the wedding and years to come.

Tramps and Slo_Hand we have like no gravel roads where I am.  What is with them? I started reading marathon reviews for the fall and the number of marathons where runners are complaining about stretches on gravel roads is mind boggling.

Mariposai that trail looks awesome!  I am so jealous!  What a great place to run.  Great picture of Enke as well.

wildchild the only danger of taking advice from you is that the person risks ending up in  a0 to ultra marathon plan that somehow involves running up and down ski trails.  Wink

Holly S. nice play by play!  Glad your DD team won and you all had such a great time.

tetsujin209 tapering is not all it is cracked up to be.  I had one that lasted 2.5 years and what good did it do me?  Joking

fatozzig wonderful news!

Spareribs I would not take what you heard from those you know about the fate that should meet the bombers quite so literally.  I certainly  said as bad or worse.  But, if I were actually among the many officers involved who seemingly acted with incredible bravery and reserve I hope that I would have done the same.  I bet that holds for many that told you otherwise.  When it comes time, most people seem to be quite brave and noble.  I quite like that about us apes.  In a pinch we are really not such animals!

I tried running yesterday and after half a mile packed it in seeing as how my right calf was not ready.  I did not even try today.  Just did some weights in the gym.  I am going to give running a shot again tomorrow.  In the meantime I am wondering what marathon to target for the fall.  Right now the Outer Banks marathon seems to be in the lead.  But that was after a somewhat cursory review of the options.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

C-R

Busy in here today. Cool.

Great pics of baby pilates and those trails look amazing.

Yeah Shorty! He couldn't do it without some good help from you Fatozig. Good for both of you.

Taper? I tried that this week (unintentionally) and all t got me was a porto john visit. Hmmph.

Good article Ribs.

Hey Slo. Riding those hardcore trails ain't helping your running times. Wink Although my race this weekend has to give you lots of daylight.

7.1 at lunch today. Busy work day and then I need to finish the cork floor in the kids bathroom. It is a wonderful floor. I'm wondering how it will hold up from our herd's stampeding feet.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Baby pushups?  Baby pilates?  No.  That's a Baby doing the Worm.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

mustang sally

Bad faerie

You are all wrong, even you, Bongler.

That child is doing Downward Puppy.

(swam 3200m this morning, co-leading a women's learn-to-race cycling clinic this afternoon.  I feel like I did early in my consulting and teaching career, just trying to stay one page ahead of these keen women who think I actually know what I'm doing)

janie b good

i agree with mustang sally:  that is definitely downward facing puppy!

4.24 miles in sunny, 60* weather!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Maraposai - wish the trails I run on looked that beautiful, though with summer heat coming I'm glad they're shaded and a little cooler than running on the roads.

Finished my first 18 mile run in over 18 years. Went surprsingly well considering how much I struggled on my first 15 miler in ages a couple weeks ago (it turned into 11 miles).

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I'll second Jay's start and Twocat's shout-outs and just add a big Hello!

And yes, downward puppy is the perfect description. Love that and oh my what a cutie!

Four fairly energetic miles (me) with Hudson this morning. He's always energetic, but so good at staying right by my side when we are clipped together for a run. We're training for a Canicross 5k in Maine in May. Yee Haw. Speaking of training, I am building the miles back and beginning to look at race calendars again. A September 8 marathon in PA is now on my calendar and then the Manchester City marathon in NH as the last of the NE USTAF Grand Prix series and a bigger focus.  I am sure there will be lots of adventures in between and also this summer---it's fun to plan.

My aunt in Indiana is retiring from Cummins and going back to school (second master's degree at 64 years-old---cool!). This means my plan to run the Mill Race marathon in Columbus on 9/28 is kaput. I am so excited she is coming east though and so is her mother---my super-granny. Besides, I'll need a BQ before 9/28 anyway if I want any chance of running Boston in 2014.

That baby is just so cute!  Beyond cute!  Gorgeous!

Congratulations to Shorty, Leslie!

Sounds like Mike E got a new job?  I need to read the back issues of the daily.

I had a great time with my visitor, Mariposai.  I asked my son what his favorite part of the weekend was, and he said, "having your friend there, because we watched a movie together, she played xbox kinect with me, and I enjoyed listening to her stories".   We had fun in the hot tub too (sorry, no one wanted to get out to get the camera).  She made me run 9 miles on Sunday morning, which I would NOT have done by my own volition, but so glad I did.  The time going up the 1000 ft part of that trail went by in a flash, chatting away, how could I not be happy, with her running with me! Smile

Woke today, unusually tired, and I don't think it was the run.  Must be fighting something off.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

aka FlyingFinn

Wonderful for both of you, Leslie and Shorty. Congratulations!

Nice going on the long run, wc.

Downward puppy. That's it! I wonder if OM has heard of the pose?

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Downward puppy. That's it! I wonder if OM has heard of the pose?

Just popped in and I see this, ha. Oh that is such a cute baby! Though I'd say she's doing tush-ups, if you ask me....

Stumpy, I'm excited as everyone else is about your marathon training!

Congrats on the milestone to Shorty (and Leslie). These are truly the wonderful things in life to celebrate.

8 ho-hum miles today. Very quickly losing all confidence in my running ability, in inverse proportion to the number of days remaining until my marathon. Though my eyebrows still feel fine....

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Being masters runners, some of you may remember a Kingston Trio song, A Worried Man. For the last several miles I had that song running through my head, only I kept substituting weary for worried, run for sing, and mile for song.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Yes, enke--I got a new job.  I turned in my resignation letter, this morning.  It was taken very well...which, I expected.  Anyway--it's time to move on.

Leslie, I can't believe it has been 2 years since all that stuff happened.  I am really happy for you.

Pavvo--that picture is priceless!

Wow--what a great place to run, Posie...really cool that you got to hang out with enke.  Maybe, someday, I'll be able to...oh, wait...I'm going to in July!

I went for a 4 mile run, today.  Mostly easy, but ran the 3rd mile at goal marathon pace.

It's snowing again, here.  We're supposed to get about 6".  I am not going to shovel.  I'm still feeling a tweak in my left hip from shoveling that heavy snow, last week.

Speaking of weather...Saturday in Loiusville it's supposed to be 51 - 68 with a 40% chance of rain and 12 mph South wind.

Okay--that's it.

Lots going on here!  Gotta post quick before I fall asleep.  Big congrats to Shorty on his 2 years, and you too Leslie.  I'm sure he couldn't have done it without your support.  I love the camaraderie of the group of friends too, very cool.  I loved the Jocelyn picture, too cute!

It's nice to see Latortuga, econo, Liz, MustangSally and even tomwhite posting.  Welcome to WCrunner.  There are lots of little rooms over in Europe with your name on the door.  Have a great trip to Amsterdam, Marj & Henry (I want to be like marj when I grow up).  Sounds like your new boss is a keeper, MikeE.

To all of you enjoying spring weather, Big grin for you!  I am certain that our winter will be over soon, but we're getting 5-8" of snow today and the wind is picking up.  Not complaining, no never, but I'm getting anxious to put away the sweaters and get out the shorts. I won't even mind if we go straight to summer after this.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich