Masters Running

Tue Jun 17 Runs and Workouts (Read 473 times)

Not sure whether to run this evening or not. Top of my right foot has been in fairly serious pain since overnight last night. Couldn't figure out how it got hurt. Didn't run enough over the weekend to aggravate it, and I was very diligent about stretching both days. Then this morning, I tried to push one of the myriad boxes of school stuff across the office with my right leg, and WHAM, pain shot through my whole leg. I think I pulled muscles all up and down my leg moving a full box of paper for recycling with my leg at school yesterday!!! Now the top of my right foot is a little swollen. It feels like the long bones in my foot are in a vice where they meet the ankle bones and that someone's banging on them with a hammer. (And to think,, my 5 yo godson asked last week whether I'm a drama queen! Can't imagine what he was thinking.) Weird thing is, it hurts most when I'm not moving. Feels pretty good when I'm walking and felt fine when I jogged a few steps earlier today. Going to give running a shot, but may end up walking, or perhaps crawling home. Too beautiful of an evening not to try to get outside and move someway, somehow. All I can think is - great, I signed up for a HM on Sunday and got my first potentially running-impairing injury since I got the orthotics on Monday. Is this a sign or what?!?!? Confused My bike's at the shore, so that's not a cross-training option until Friday. nono - what kind of shore town waits until summer to pave the roads?!? Sorry the moving is so stressful, but it sounds like the sleepover was fun for the kids at least. Also sorry mom's situation is continuing to be so difficult. Hard to deal with in any circumstances; worse when you're so far away. Hope you manage to keep getting in plenty of stress-banishing runs. Hopeful - those puppy pics are exceptionally cute, even compared to the earlier ones. Smile Off to try out the foot . . . . Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

King of PhotoShop

Tall is certainly correct that everyone has to weigh these factors about how much to do and how long to recover and see what is right for themselves. Some people can tolerate a great deal of work and some need a lighter schedule. Bowerman and all the great coaches knew this. Tall is himself an anomaly when you consider how hard he trains and races, and for the most part we have seen him injury-free, or if he does get injured he sure heals fast. He also brings up another point about cross-training and otherwise "mixing it up" a bit, to give those repetitive running muscles, tendons and ligaments a break and yet still stay strong and flexible. A great example of this approach is to look at the serious triathletes. While they work very hard, every sport they train in is also a period of recovery from some other one. Spareribs
      evanflein

Don't have much time to read the daily, but I will go back later and catch up on the Tall and 'Ribs posts to find out what's going on. Always learn so much from all you guys. Vista is right... there are regions (which is why we refer to this tournament as "regionals") where teams play for the championships and the right to go to nationals. We get here by winning our "state cup" which is held in August. Our team has won State two years in a row now so that's how we got to play in Vegas last year and Honolulu this year. Our first game was pretty tough. We way underestimated that Colorado team. Ouch. And a couple of our kids developed serious bad attitudes out on the field which was very disappointing to see. One of our strikers collided with (our own) goalie and ended up coughing up blood on the sidelines... So, he's out of the tournament! (he's going to be ok, but apparently has a lung issue that hadn't been detected before?) Our second game was this morning and it was supposed to be against Nevada, but they didn't even come to the tournament (how's that for sportsmanship... they hosted last year, and are "no show" this year!). I do think that the cost of the trip was prohibitive for some of the players... So we played a Hawaii wild card team, and ended up losing 8-0. We have a difficult time with these teams who can play outside all year long, and have a population which supports several extremely talented teams. We do feel a bit outgunned sometimes. But, as Vista pointed out, it's pretty cool just that we can come and play here, and I hope the kids can keep that perspective. Tomorrow we play AZ, and it should be another tough game but I hope the kids can work together and play well. I did run 2.8 barefoot miles on the beach yesterday morning with DH and his pace... a few walk breaks in there and carefully dodging some rocks and glass (!) on the beach. It's very sloped and not something I'd want to do a lot but it was fun. Today I ran 5.25 miles with two at tempo (mile 3 at 7:54, mile 5 at 7:50) in the muggy heat. It rained yesterday so today is pretty "damp" feeling. I also got chased by a chihuahua on my way back to the house. Rotten little dog.
        Mariposai

Spareribs and Tall, thanks for your insigtful note on recovery runs. I am one of those who could easyly run a recovery 8 miler and then not be able to hold the pace for the next scheduled key w/o. From now on I will for sure pay more attetion on how I am running the eze and recovery runs. Karin...you are one tough cookie. You have my total admiration.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

munchkn883

Quick 5 mile walk for me on the American Tobacco Trail. Not too hot either!

Hill Runner

Peter, happy finding there. You will love using them, specially for those long runs. Hey, what is your trick for keeping your pace while running hills?
              Mariposai, I don't have any tricks, I just run hills all the time. The downside is that although I'm consistant running hills or flats...it doesn't matter, I'm not a fast runner as I don't do any speedwork at all. I would be hard pressed to run an 8 minute pace or faster...I also very rarely run two days in a row as you can see from my Log.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Managed to run 3 miles without my foot falling off and I RAN THE WHOLE WAY! Haven't run that far without a walk break in ages. I'm using last week's flu-induced break to think of my running as beginning again last Saturday - this time with no (or very minimal) walk breaks. My foot hurts, but no more than before I ran. I will definitely do the ICE part of RICE the rest of the evening. No real rest until after the last of the packing is finished tomorrow. BEAUTIFUL evening - temps in the low 70s, humidity low, slight breeze. Hardly even remember that heat wave from last week. (Oh, yeah, I didn't run last week!) Roll eyes Happy Hump Day, all, Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

....YAY eliz//.......nice running.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Some good runs today... Tall and Ribs....great discussion....just one of the many reasons I frequent this site. I'm glad to say I'm back to posting a run!! 3 easy miles @9:43 pace.
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Eliz, good job!! My ankle is still very tender. Today I scoped out a nearby neighborhood I hadn't known even existed - it will be perfect for summer running - shady and cool, since it's next to the ocean (although you can't see the water through the trees). Runnersworld had an article on running after achilles tendonitis - it said you should put athletic tape on your foot and in an x-pattern on the lower part of your leg, and then cover it all with an ace bandage. It also suggested heating your ankle for 10 minutes before running. I may try a very short run on Thursday.
                        Love the discussion today! I have had to learn over the last couple years how to be flexible with my schedules. In the past I had to stick to the mile everyday and never listened to my aches and pains. In the end it cost me a lot of running time because of injuries. I went from 7 days a week-in past years to 5 This year .I slowly worked up from every other day to 5 days a week with 2 complete rest days. It is my goal over the summer to work in a bike day on one of my off days but will fit it in slowly. I fit in" back" weeks and try to organize my runs more so that I am not always going full out every run. A few years ago i felt like i had to run hard all the time. Now I force myself to run slower on slow days and faster on medium long days vs. trying to beat my times every time out no matter what distances. No speed work other than tempo runs and fartleks. The results have been good as I have been pretty much injury free and finally achieved a long term goal of running a marathon. My run today was a 3 miler in 25Surprisedo and about a 8.5 minute mile pace. The knee felt fine although I was wearing a brace and will continue to do so the rest of the week. If I continue to be painless through my long run on Sunday I will consider it to be fine. I am wondering if I should do the 5k on Thursday though Confused Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Renee the dog

Just back from 3.4 mi out with the babysitter. She didn't want to go a full 5 tonight, so I said, "Let's run on the beach." We did and admired the moon reflecting off the ocean at least a dozen times. It was wonderful! More strife with my parents -- blah blah blah. My sister has reached the breaking point. I've gotten a special dispensation to move next week and all work will stop on my old street so the movers can move us...so I'm pushing like mad to settle my family. Yea! But, I'm no help to my sis and therefore my Mom. Boo! It's a horrible situation. Where's Dr. Budweiser? Undecided Thanks for all the hugs and comments yesterday and today. This boomers' forum is definitely a special place where I feel free to unload and know that others can possibly understand. I am especially mindful that my kids may be facing this same thing when they join the masters/boomers forum, as I'm 40 yrs older than them...about the same spread as my parents and me. It gives me food for thought as to how to conduct these upcoming 40 years. Well good night to all -- hope everyone sleeps well and runs well tomorrow. It's so good to be here.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!