Masters Running

New Year's Daily 01.01.15 (Read 40 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Last night about 9:30 he was adding up his monthly miles in his journal  and realized he was short 4/10 of a mile for his 1000 goal due to a math error early in the year. So he got out of his pj's, put on his running clothes and headlamp and headed out to run 4/10 around the driveway to make his goal.

I love that kid!

I love that kid!

Agreed! Go David (just don't read today's WSJ and the article linking OCD behavior to run streakers) Actually, who cares what an article says! I love that he got it done and the right way. My kiddo and I watched "Pre" last night and it made me think of your sweet boy Tammy and his focus.

We're having New Year's Eve tonight since Mr. CNYrunner was violently ill with food poisoning or some stomach bug yesterday and he had a feast planned. He's much better today, so the fondue and fixings is tonight and the Hoppin' John will wait for a few days. The kiddo and I had scrambled eggs and beef stew and watched Pre and quietly said Happy New Year! so as not to poke the sleeping bear.

Today is a great day as we celebrate Mizzou's victory in the Citrus Bowl----we are all decked out in black and gold (Hudson has a Mizzou bandana on right now). What fun to cheer for them and the kiddo is madly texting his roommate and dorm mates about the victory. He's home for just two more weeks and wow does time fly!

Great start rtravers and so great to see you here. And Heme!!! Still remember fondly our run together in Toronto.

Ran 11 miles this morning with 30 minutes in the middle at tempo pace---a happy start to the new year of running. This year's goals are simple: focus on quality over quantity and stay strong and injury-free (stay consistent with strength and stability training)

Mike E

MM #5615

Today is a great day as we celebrate Mizzou's victory in the Citrus Bowl----we are all decked out in black and gold (Hudson has a Mizzou bandana on right now). What fun to cheer for them and the kiddo is madly texting his roommate and dorm mates about the victory. He's home for just two more weeks and wow does time fly!

Go ahead--rub it in...I sure hope the kiddo and his roommates have fun.  Oh, my poor Gophers...

I went out for 10 easy miles and, about 2 miles into it I figured, if I'm going to do a spring marathon, I'd better do more than easy runs so, after 2 miles of an easy pace, I bumped it up to a 6:40 pace for 8 miles, then backed off for a 2.5 mile cool down.  12.5 miles in 1:28:35.  I had some Garmin issues but I'm pretty sure of the distance and times.

Now, I'm starving, and Debbie and I are going out for the dinner we promised we'd go out for yesterday, until we got talked into a New Years party at one of the kids' house.  We had a good time but stayed up too late and ate way too much.

Okay--gotta go!  Happy New Year!

Oh what a Happy New Year it is!!  Still reeling in thankfulness over Nicholas's diagnosis yesterday -- today after morning mass I cried tears of joy and the anguish I felt this past week is gone!!

Ran Lowell's 1st Run since Hangover Classic registration was closed when I tried to get in Tuesday.  Great race - double loop for the 10k and a tough headwind on mile 3 that you knew you'd be facing again at 6, but it was all good!!  My friend Lisa, who I went to Philly with, ran the 5k then waited for me to run my 2nd loop and keep me going --- definitely helped as mile 3 was 8:30 and mile 6 with her encouragement was 8:16 --- ran 51:32 overall -- not a PR but enough to get me 3rd in my age group and Lisa placed 1st in her age group for the 5k!!  Maybe if I had done a little less celebrating yesterday I would have shaved a little time off, but it was worth every drop of champagne we drank!!

Hope you all had a glorious day!!

Tammy -- David has all the makings of a fabulous runner!!

denise

lamerunner

Greetings! Happy New Year! Pretty quiet New Years Eve for us. Ds had been training with the Proctor Academy ski team then got a ride back north. DH and I hustled back up here after working a couple of days, then had BIL and SIL for dinner.  Today, we slept in,then I ran about 9, mostly road with little pond trail loop. Body feeling a bit broken, cranky knee and sciatic/left piriformis acting up.  Pretty day though, sunny and 25 or so.  This afternoon we all went for a walk on some family land which is being logged and then sold to the to the town as open space/conservation land.  Footing stank, but the logging seems to have been done responsibly.

DD back in Colorado. It was great to see her!  Her cat was glad to see her back.

Deez, great news!  Sorry you had to go through all that.

Monday night, I saw a green thing shooting through the sky as i was driving home from up here. I thought maybe a comet, but those usually are not that bright to the naked eye.  Tonight I heard on radio that there were 300 reports of a fireball, part of a meteor, at about the timeI saw it..pretty cool.

lamerunner

P.S. David is great!

Tonight I heard on radio that there were 300 reports of a fireball, part of a meteor, at about the timeI saw it..pretty cool.

Surely a good luck sign lamerunner!? At least I hope so. Very cool.

Sorry about that Mike...my college xc coach is a Gopher and was cranky about the Mizzou win as well (she's the author of my training plan right now so I expect some pain coming in the next workouts!)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy New Year Robin and everyone here today,

not able to be here today, coming back, and to-be coming back

, or just coming for the first time. .

.Red fireworks, Happy New Year,

Why would a person who, in November, vowed off running any foul weather anymore such as Ribs and Saint endured this morning, then go and run 21.5 miles before DNF’ing in an even ever fouler December Marathon nevertheless go ruin a otherwise perfectly windless and sunny 42-degree New Year’s Day Resolution 5K run with a thousand other revelers by joining about 800 of ‘em in running into the 42-degree waters of Lake Washington at mile 3, . .  and why would 42-degree water seem so much colder than 42-degree air? 
                  Actually I enjoyed the company this time compared to my first one in 1988 a little southeast of Erika-land at 10-degrees (air) when, with fire trucks, police, and medics standing by, only one idiot, . . I mean brave soul jumped off the end of the dock into 35-degree ocean waters.   Incidentally, shouldn’t 35-degree water seem 25-degrees warmer than 10-degree air instead of 100-degrees colder?
                  ps - Robin, maybe try some of the in-line skating you used to love, . . or don’t you have the proper attire for winter rolling?
                  pps - with regard to football, they got rid of a hated coach down in San Francisco and the UM finally got a great coach.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Henrun

Some great running and relaxing by all today. We started our day by heading one hour north to run Hangover Classic 5k with a crowd of 1400 (including the 10k). Since the race didn't start till 11:30 we swung by downtown Boston to view and snap pix of First Night's ice sculptures. Got to the race early and prepared to run in cold, windy, but sunny conditions-different from our last 5k in Florida 2 weeks ago. I ran my usual slow pace but speeded up a bit when Marj ran me in the final 1/4 mile. I still finished 1/1 in my AG. When you get to be my age, showing up is the most important factor.

Saw several friends including Coastwalker who,Marj said, was picking them off one by one with his fast race-walking style. We missed Deeze, but glad she did well in Lowell.

All in all, a good start to the New Year.

Happy New Year, Peeps ~

DUCKS WIN!!!  DUCKS WINS!!!!!!  WHOOT!  WHOOT! QUACK!! QUACK!!!

Had a chilly 6-mile run this a.m.  It was supposed to be a group run, but as I suspected might happen, the fast people took off and left everyone else behind.  There was a mother/daughter combo who were really slow, more for the daughter's sake I think, and I tried to stay with them for awhile, but I would have been walking.  So I just did my own thing, then went home.  Kind of a bummer because I was hoping to find one or two people I could hook up with once in awhile.  At least with today's group, that doesn't look possible, but who knows.  There's always next time to try, try again!  While I was running, I thought how Shorty and I were both starting our year off on the right foot: Me running and him attending an AA meeting.

But it's been a good day.  Made a crockpot of white beans, sausage, and collard greens.  It turned out very tasty.

So a friend of ours is a lieutenant colonel in the US Army and is the defense attache  in Zimbabwe.  He and his wife are over there for another 3 years and really want us to visit.  Once we get there, it basically wouldn't cost us a dime to do anything - go on safaris, trips to places like Victoria Falls, etc.  Shorty and I decided this is an opportunity of a lifetime, so we are going to bust our butts to afford to do this, either later this year or early next year.  To say we are excited is an understatement. 

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Forgot to put this in this morning.  Probably doesn't mean quite as much at 9:30

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I have been kind of lazy today. I did organize a bunch of music in brand new Manila folders, all left tabbed. Christmas music is put away too so that is a good feeling. It got up to 16 by noon so I took Bandit for a walk bundled up with tights and wind pants made a huge difference. After a 5 minute warm-up I ran 90 seconds, then walked for 60 seconds for a whole mile and a half.

Nice racing for Jay (you rock!), Marj, Henry, deez and anyone else I missed. Tet, you are amazing, and crazy! 42 degree water, yikes! Robin, hang in there on the recovery, it sounds like you are on track. Wild, loved the vacation pictures.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich