Masters Running

Monday Daily, Rocktober 1, 2012 (Read 418 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Happy Anniversary to Ma and Pa  Breger! 63 years! Fantastic!

So I think I am just a big fat wimp. Doctor's office called and said, "Take 2 Aleve with food, once a day."
    The x-ray was unremarkable so PCP thinks this is a first degree AC joint separation. Which is like a sprained ankle in my shoulder.

"The AC joint is short for the acromioclavicular joint. Separation of the two bones forming this joint is caused by damage to the ligaments connecting them usually from a fall onto an outstretched arm."

That about sums it up. Except. I actually did a little shoulder roll such that the impact was felt first by shoulder, not an outstretched arm. More like just above my scapula.

Good news is there are no broken bones. And PCP said that I could run as much as I can tolerate. So. I am glad that I protected my legs by falling on my shoulder.  Sadly, he said that I won't be swimming any time soon. And. We are going to Myrtle Beach on Thursday and PCP said that I should try going to the driving range before I try to golf... he said, "Then you will have only wasted the money on a small bucket of balls rather than green fees."

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Slo

Good news is there are no broken bones. And PCP said that I could run as much as I can tolerate. So. I am glad that I protected my legs by falling on my shoulder.  Sadly, he said that I won't be swimming any time soon.

buehrle

I seperated my shoulder with the text book "Fall on Out Sretched Arm" (FOSA) early this winter due to a bike accident. Yes...winter...bike...ice...FOSA.

It did not have a big impact on my running but getting a good arm swing was difficult. That occured mid January I think...I'm still in the healing process but I do finally have full use of my arm back. I still have a little weakness and instability left. And yes...sadly swimming is going to be out for awhile.

A seperated shoulder takes a long tie to heal. I'd almost opt for the broken bone. Here's wishing you a quick recovery!

{{{INJURED PEOPLE!!!}}}  Take care of yourselves!

Great races, Roach and Starr!

Tammy - I'm not surprised at the difficulty of the trail considering who put it on.  Sometimes I think the elites forget that the rest of us are normal human beings. Wink  I'm sure the heat didn't help.

Rest day for  me.  My low back is nagging at me from all the sitting I've been doing over the past few weeks, what with my sit down regular job and my sit down at home job.  *sigh*  Once this transcription job is done, I'm treating myself to a massage.  Dang it, I deserve it!

Now back to work ~

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Tammy - I'm not surprised at the difficulty of the trail considering who put it on.  Sometimes I think the elites forget that the rest of us are normal human beings. Wink  I'm sure the heat didn't help.

yeah, no doubt. I told him afterwards that I did enjoy the race, and the volunteers/aid stations and markings on the trail were awesome. Then I said, half-jokingly, 'but who's freakin' idea was a noon start'! and he laughed and said "yeah, i'm not really a morning person." . . <ahem> - who's out here running in this heat???!!  lol

The costumes were great though - Tim was dressed up as the Mad Hatter, the other RD was the Queen of Hearts, Tim's wife was Alice, even their 2 month old son was in costume. On the Enchanted Forest's FB page, there's lots of pics that are for public viewing showing some great costumes.

Tammy

Dave59

I'm feeling a little sick today.  Stupid stomach.  I may have to go back to the doctor again and see if he has any other recommendations.

I did run 3.21 miles.  I'm glad I didn't read about all the tripping before I went out because it would have made me too alert to every sidewalk crack.  I hope everyone heals up soon.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Tet, there was no scenery that I was looking at. My stomach was killing me, every step made it a sloshy gurgling mess, and it was all I could do to pull in my lower abs to hold things in so that I could keep running. But unfortunately, that didn't leave any core activation to lift my legs as I ran, and I literally tripped over my own two feet because of the shuffling. It was all because I didn't want to lose the pace group and so I didn't stop to try to find a restroom. Stoopid to the nth degree. Pace group got all split up anyhow, and most of the time I was running by myself, barely in sight of the group two blocks ahead of me. Luckily the NYC Marathon will be a more crowded affair (!) and I won't have to worry about getting lost.

Glad to hear your shoulder isn't a major injury, Rosie. Hope you're not in too much pain though. We can be sprain partners, how fun.

I did manage to run later this morning, 3.4 miles nice and slow and easy, and my legs were happy to move normally again. I just emailed my week's activity to my coach and am begging off from tomorrow's track workout. I can't imagine what kind of grief he'll give me about all this stomach distress and falling down nonsense... I should've known better something-or-other, I'm sure... sigh....

MTA: Congrats on your HMs, Roch and Starr!

Tammy - I may have to keep that HM in mind for next year.  I haven't run an HM in years.  It would be fun as an end-of-the-season get away.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP forget the usual race congratulations, how about congratulations for having just survived that course!

buehrle sorry about the fall but glad to hear nothing is broken.  A sprain will heal.  Do not feel bad about thinking it was busted though.  I had a second degree ankle sprain and ended up at the hospital emergency room in excruciating pain.

Spareribs what a great concept!  Although, I am wondering if it is actually legal to gamble even on yourself in most states?  What about offering this "service" in any state without a license?

Alas, I am going to have to take more time off from running.  I woke up with a stiff and sore ankle.  But on the good news front later in the day the ankle felt great!  That was despite that fact that I had 4.5 hours of class today so it put up with a lot of standing.  Well not 4.5 hours of it since I had class speakers in for 3 of the hours.  Still I was likely on my feet for 2 hours or so.

In dog news, and this is big!, my SIL and her top dog came in third in the USDAA national championship grand prix finals!  Roughly, if the dog was a tennis player this amounts to something like coming in third at the U.S. Open.  Quite an accomplishment!  My DW's family is all abuzz at the good news.  Good thing the dog did so well as he had to miss a photo shoot for an ad or some such to make it to the competition!  If you are going to miss work for a sporting event you better do well at the competition!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

In dog news, and this is big!, my SIL and her top dog came in third in the USDAA national championship grand prix finals!  Roughly, if the dog was a tennis player this amounts to something like coming in third at the U.S. Open.  Quite an accomplishment!  My DW's family is all abuzz at the good news.  Good thing the dog did so well as he had to miss a photo shoot for an ad or some such to make it to the competition!  If you are going to miss work for a sporting event you better do well at the competition!

BTW, this is Baxter, the dog Twocat is talking about!!!

Wink

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Bushrat Runner

4 miles at lunch today...good night all...

SteveP

Holly, it's DD#3 who got hitched.

Oh my gosh Buehrle. 

It's been years since a full moon swim.....Gotta do it again...good idea.

Steve - great pics! Your daughter was a beautiful bride and I love the colors. You looked quite dapper in your suit and red shirt! And where did you get a Batman tie tack!!??!! Swoon.

FIFY..As tough as the half was, Tammy, It also sounds like fun.

Sweet Two Cat!!!! I gotta get on Tag's butt to get a job.

Rest day...Did get a lot of work miles in along some of Michigan's changing colors.

MTA: You got it done the hard way OM. Wow

SteveP