Masters Running

Sunday, 10.25.15 (Read 35 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

whew, thanks for the warning.

Spareribs is in Seattle!!!!! in my state, but still 6 hours away. How sad is that.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Good job, Mike. Too funny about passing Amy right at the end there. How can a marathon that's been going on for so long suffer from such organizational issues? I'd never heard of problems like that before so wonder if something changed recently?

Nice to see Enke doing so well. I love to see you so happy!

Funny comments about the running and effect on the other half. We used to struggle with this, but have really come to a "good place" with my running. He's involved in so many ways, and I couldn't do what I do without him. When I'm dragging my feet to go run he gets me out there. Offers support along the way if I need it ("what do you need on this run?"), and rescues me if I need it (whether I realize that need or not). We pick the marathons I run together and I really wouldn't want to travel to a race without him. It took a lot of talking about running, why I do it, what I want out of it, what it means to me and to him. He used to run and do all sorts of sports, but years of that took a toll and now he really can't run but that doesn't stop him from being out there in other ways. Anyway, that's a long way of saying, you can probably make it work better all around if you just talk about it.

11.36 miles today on tired legs. Gotta remember that tempo runs are fun when you're doing them, but they totally take it out of your legs the next day! I was aiming for 12.5 or so, but my legs were done and I was getting cold, and then DH showed up and took me home. He just figured I might be ready to be done (see above).   Just under 45 for the week and on track for 200 for October.

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - you are so lucky with your DH's attitude.  Like Carolyn and Moebo. DH and I struggle a little on that issue.  In some ways I know DH is proud of my running, but every fight we have, no matter what the fight is about, always has my running thrown at me as an insult.

Mike - how frustrating!  I recall when I did the Air Force HM several years ago when I was in top shape, hoping for a PR, and the traffic snarls at the base gates made us so late that the race had already begun before we got there (several busloads of us), and I spent the first few miles saying, "Pardon me, excuse me, on your left," etc and I bobbed and weaved through the back of the pack trying to find my pace.  I missed my PR by 30 seconds, and I was sure I would have beat it that day otherwise.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."