Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 4.14.15 (Read 28 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy San Fran, Mike.  And quit tormenting your wife.

As part of my 5K taper for this weekend (I think a couple of others are running it, too), I had the suckiest run that I can remember. I kept hoping it would get better, but when you run lake loops there's no shortcuts back home without getting wet.  So 3.8 miles with zero energy and a lot of walking.  Of course in perspective, I know that TW would kill , well maybe maim, nah still too violent, maybe kick one of Claire's dolls, to have a run without pain, so I will take that into tomorrow and hope it was just not meant to be today.  Only thing I could think of was that it was 60°F and humid, but I hope I'm not THAT susceptible to temperature changes.

I am a packrat, Dave.  I can't imagine packing to move out of our house after 30+ years.  It took me two weeks to purge and move to a new cube at work after only being there 10 years.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

San Francisco is one of my favorites and definitely a study in stark contrasts between have and have not. So many great stops have been mentioned, I'll add my favorite art spots: The Exploratorium (on the Embarcadero) and fabulous hands on science/art museum, SFMoMA (San Francisco Museum of Modern Art), Palace of the Legion of Honor....and if you are into WPA era murals there were many students of Diego Rivera who painted fabulous murals all over the city in the 1930s including in Coit Tower...a fun climb.

Or head into the Marin Headlands for some great running, or head to Belvedere Island....or, or....when is the SF marathon?

No hill tapering here either and in fact a six hill repeats run for me today. No fitness gain really, but just a good rhythm workout---six miles total.

Sorry to miss the Somerville 5k fun, but looking forward to seeing some of you at Lir.

I should pretend I am moving every year to minimize all the time! Our neighbors are getting a new roof and we are eyeing the dumpster with envy----wonder how obvious we'd be in the middle of the night with all our unwanted "stuff"  We're making slow progress with Mr. CNYrunner's parents house as they prepare to move into a memory assisted facility. It's like packing and deaccessioning a lifetime and it's at turns bittersweet and liberating. My parents dealt with foreclosure more than 20 years ago and when you have to pack practically overnight, it's a whole different drill.

So excited for Robin and her team! How fun to hang out with running royalty and at a Red Sox game. I think we can all agree that they will be awed by Doc Robin.

Mike E

MM #5615

Oh, and it's fun to take pictures of tourists taking pictures of Lombard Street (then you can watch Steve McQueen in Bullitt again).  

We happen to be staying in a motel on Lombard Street.  Of course, Debbie had never heard of Bullitt, so I showed her a YouTube video of that chase scene.  When it was done, she asked, "Are there any videos of Mrs. Doubtfire?"  I showed her the restaurant scene...and then we drove out to Danville, found Bridges, where it was filmed, and had lunch.  Debbie was like a little kid, she was so excited.  She's still talking about it.  She works all the time and she stresses out about everything, so it is really fun to see her like this.

Thanks for for all the ideas, by the way.  And yes...there are homeless people all over the place.

Okay--I'd better get going.  See ya!

Mike E what you are missing is a DVR.

I am not going to pretend to catch up.  I was off in New Orleans from Thursday through Saturday.  While there I managed to get in a 14 mile "run".  Yes, it deserves to be in quotes.  I just wilted in the heat and humidity.  Me!  Wilted in heat and humidity!  What gives?  During the summer I laugh at heat and humidity!  Others are griping at the start of races about it and I am thinking "This is going to be great!"  It really shows you how much we acclimate, slowly, to our environment.  Today back in the north-east I ran 10 miles and without a problem.  A nice high 50 degree run.  Happy days!  By the way, the weather forecast for the Boston marathon is looking pretty good!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Have fun in San Francisco, Mike. I love that city. Yes, the homeless problem is pretty bad, but a lot of them make a pretty good living panhandling. And some aren't as homeless as they seem. Not to take attention away from those that really need help.... It's a very expensive city, so yes a lot of the have many amenities (a car, a smartphone, decent clothes) but they just can't afford rent in that city. It's incredible how much housing costs. I lived in Livermore for about 9 months, and worked in Walnut Creek. We'd go into "the city" about once a month for fun, and I'd have meetings or trainings every month or so. Spent many an hour on the Bay Bridge waiting for an accident to clear.... Love crossing the GG Bridge. Did the San Francisco Marathon a couple years ago and got some great pictures of it covered in runners. Very cool.

Remember Stumpy, a carpy run usually means a good run or race is in the immediate future!

Our house is so full of clutter. It's a constant struggle. I work on organizing, donating, repurposing and tossing, and it still accumulates. Very frustrating. Our problem seems to be (well, one of our problems) is anything related to the kids and their childhood is apparently sacred. We just can't get rid of any of it. Argh... I am planning a garage sale this spring to get rid of a lot of stuff, including stuff from our garage cleanout last summer. Now that the snow is melting, some of that stuff is reappearing out of the snowbanks and it's pretty scary... Ack.

DH is in Dallas tonight. Left oh-dark-ugly this morning (1:50 a.m.) and gets back tomorrow night (10:20 p.m.). He's in Dallas for about 25 hours from landing to take off. How nuts is that? Meetings were this afternoon and tomorrow morning, so I guess they figure that's a workable schedule. I expect he might be a bit crabby the rest of the week.

But, I took advantage of being a single parent to two cats tonight to work a bit late and then go out for a bit longer than usual Tuesday night run. 9.2 miles at a good steady (if not consistent because of wind and hills) run with 8:13 avg pace (range was 8:20 to 8:07). I might go out for a bit longer tomorrow too since I've got the evening free....

SteveP

The only problem with shorts is that I usually wear reflective bands (to help me be seen in the pre-dawn) around my mid-calf, and they are secured with Velcro on either end. They are fine over tights, but they itch on bare legs. Oh, the problems I have...

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

I suspect that, this time of year, your legs are white enough to reflect headlights quite nicely.

Exciting a trip, MikeE.

Generally, I'm a sucker for panhandlers.

I got two miles in with the mutt.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

I suspect that, this time of year, your legs are white enough to reflect headlights quite nicely.

Jay - what about putting those reflectors on the back of your shoes?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks, Jay!  So looking forward to seeing you.

Huh?  I thought Mr. J was going to be coming out here in the PNW to give us some race-walking tips, . . . although if I were Jay, or anyone else, I’d rather go to florida, or anywhere else, to run with you too.  ¥

With Delta Airlines celebrating regaining their anding rights at Tokyo’s convenient, nearly downtown international airport at Haneda with $682 round trips, I reluctantly had to agree when asked to go back for another week or two.
                  However, what started out on a rainy Monday evening in Seattle and ended on a rainy Tuesday evening in Tokyo 11 hours later anything but routine in between. The clouds below cleared over the snowy peaks and glaciers on the way up the panhandle in Southeast Alaska until all of Malispina Glacier, bigger than the state of Rhode Island, could be seen below. 
                  Then, instead of heading across the Gulf of Alaska and Being Sea, the pilot kept going north, ever north, until the sun came up again (at least for those of us at 35,000 feet), north of Anchorage, north of McGrath almost to Erika-land, through the heart of the Seward Peninsula north of Nome and across the Bering Straights, straight in to Siberian Russian airspace.  Flying over the endless Siberian mountains lasted for almost three hours before emerging out of southern Kamchatka and south to Hokkaido, down the main Honshu Island to landing at Haneda, precisely where I arrived against everyone’ wishes in August 1965 for the first time on a hot, muggy, August evening I’ll never forget.

However, the cockpit’s cherry reminder as if we appreciated it about Delta Skymiles being based on ticket-dollars instead of air-miles wasn’t spectacular, especially since I’d only earn 682 miles toward the annual GS visit instead of nearly 11,000 miles per transPacific trip in the past.  However, I’g gladly give up all my miles for the $682 round trip fare.  Anyone else wanna come over?
                  ps - since I never know when I might use something in the future, and since there’s plenty of room in the garage, and even if there isn’t, what difference does it make, why should I throw anything away when I just have to buy it all over again as soon as I do?

pps erika - good luck in explaining to future grandkids where their parents’ childhood photos are.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)