Masters Running

Wednesday ~ 8'20'2014 (Read 38 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm modifying this to acknowledge that there are some at this particular chain (Planet Fitness) who lump me in with the lunks (I guess that's 'lunk-lumping') since I use the same equipment and work out reasonably hard, particularly for an older guy who works out in running shorts and tech shirts from roadraces.  I like to think that I'm a Rennaisance Man but I'm more like Hermie the Elf Smile

Do you pick things up and put them down?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

A short post about a short run--5 miles in 39:40.

Okay--that's it.  See ya!

Quick post here too...8 miles on a neighborhood loop this evening at 8:40 pace. Flew home from MO all day and went out for a head clearing run as soon as I got home. I was able to run some fabulous miles on the MKT Trail in Columbia, MO earlier this week. Really beautiful trail with the surface of the Erie Canal tow path and also mileage markers, bathrooms, memorial benches, water fountains and all mostly under archways of trees.

Quiet here now, but all as it should be as the kiddo makes his way and settles into college life.

BTY

Ha! I thought I was the only one still making references to that commercial. It hasn't played in this market in some time.

Do you pick things up and put them down?

Wishful thinking that it is Friday, Dave. Slo, I still can’t fathom biking across Iowa in 24 hours, yikes!  Stumpy, hope you get greta results from your 6 miler. I have been trying to finish fast on my runs too. It helps to have a target, although I am afraid that I am usually the target. Marj, I can tell that you love retirement and spending time with the grandkids. Every day’s a Saturday, right?  Hope you had a great run while Henry was out at the ball game. Amy, I’ll see you next August then. Do they have a half too?  It was 81 when I ran tonight and it was my best time this year. Holly, make sure you post pictures of that race, it sounds like fun. Enke, that photo was great, how fun for you and Mr C to be hitting it off.  Hi PBJ, smart dog, what kind is it?  Good workout, tomwhite, is that a new routine?  Leslie, awesome job on the volunteering for you and Shorty, glad you enjoyed it.  Lunky Hermie the Elf, I avoid certain areas of the gym too.  CNY, I am glad you found some greta running trails in MO. Hope you adjust to the empty nest. TomS, we have had unusually calm weather here too but I am not complaining.  Hi Mike, nice quick run.

Like I said, it was 81° after work. I ran a tempo run with 10 min. warm-up at 12:25, 3 miles at 11:11 then cooldown for .5 mile.  HR averaged 142, MHR = 161.  I had the stupid Garmin programmed wrong so it was constantly telling me to speed up. That was a bit annoying! I can’t get the mile splits separate either, lap 2 is the entire 3 miles.  I do need to figure out a goal pace for the half, and the 10K 6 days later.  Two years ago my first half was 12:09 and the 10K 11:45.  I feel like I am in better shape this time around.

Goodnight everyone. I need to do my hip exercises. I think I will go to the spin class in the morning. It gets over at 6:30 so I should be able to get to work by 7:30.  Maybe MrStarr will come with me!  See ya!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Roch, I unabashedly love my Subaru, and Mr. C. was in the photostream!  Wink  He is on a bike tour through Holland and those parts for the next two weeks with his 77 year old mother!  I am trying to be patient for his return....sigh!

I really need some motivation.  I think I should sign up for the Issaquah 5K in October, that I ran with Tet last year.  He paced me to a near PR.  I figure if I drop 5 pounds and actually start running more, I have a chance to better my time.

SloHand, I wanted to say how cool all the work you are doing for the trail!

I don't like waking up at 5:30 am, and it is DARK!  WTH??  I guess I have to start adjusting to the receding hours of daylight.... not liking this.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

SteveP

I'm interested in pictures and reviews as well, Dave59

AAmos, I'm flying in. If I were to race which I would prefer a shorter distance. If I have a flair up of whatever it is that's challenging me, even starting would be ill advised. However, a day trip with Dad to see a dear person may well be doable.

Lets see, the marathon starts at 6:30 AM. You should be done shortly after sun up.

So my dog Sophie is really a velociraptor at heart.  She has figured out how to open doors by jumping up on the knob.  She can get into the food pantry even though there is a lock on it.  And she got into the cat food by moving it out of range from the indoor invisible fence unit with her paws.

So this morning, I'm letting her out after breakfast, and she spots a deer in the woods off to the left of the house.  Does she chase after the deer?  No, she runs in the direction that the deer is headed.  That takes some thought.  She almost got the big prize!  This is one deviously smart dog.

Brilliant! DD#2's Huskey closes doors that have been left open. He locked the kids out of the house once.

Holy Hill Training Leslie.

Quiet here now, but all as it should be as the kiddo makes his way and settles into college life.

Are you kidding me? Isn't he like 12 or something?

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps - what kind of dog is Sophie?

CNYrunner - bittersweet, but good....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

PBJ- what kind of dog is Sophie?

So my dog Sophie is really a velociraptor 

SteveP

BlazinCajun

Running - last night it was 6 miles, then this a.m. 8 miles in a sticky, sort of drizzly, humid predawn with 20 min of tempo running in the middle.  The last 6 min were the hardest, and I thought I was gonna throw up at the end.  Suffice to say, my legs are pooped.

I missed the 14+ hours driving but these are the 14 miles that I commented on. Sounds like you had a tough and fulfilling trip. Good job!

Andrew
                      ------------------
                      God, my Lord, is my strength;
                      he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                      and enables me to go upon the heights.
                      Hb 3:19