Masters Running

Diabetes running rampant among friends (Read 280 times)

lswife

My twice-yearly plea to stay healthy . . . After retiring and loving the couch too much, my daughter challenged me to join her on the C25K program about February of 07. I also "got serious" about Weight Watchers then and lost 37# on the program. Unfortunately, it was too little, too late, and in June of 07 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My weight loss and running have helped, but "once a diabetic, always a diabetic" and now I'm also on medication. A close friend was diagnosed recently with "insulin resistance" which is the first step down the path to diabetes. Sadly, she's not realizing the seriousness of the disease. Just recently, another friend shared with me that she was diagnosed with diabetes less than a month ago. My doctor keeps telling me to keep running, 5-6x a week, and to continue losing weight; I'm not as round as I used to be, but don't resemble an hourglass either. My two friends - no weight loss yet, no diet changes yet. Why am I sharing this - well, if your doctor ever tells you that you are at an increased risk for diabetes, do something about it! I don't wish this disease on anyone. If diabetes doesn't run in your family, you might be the first as I am. If you are on this board, you're no doubt a runner, so hurray for that. If you're lacking motivation, think of your health. Roberta
      Thank you, and best of luck! A friend of mine is controlling his with diet, after losing 65lbs. (I remember you from CR, by the way.) Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

L's, thanks for posting this. Do you post on other web sites outside the running community? Keep running. We love your presence in the newbie forum! Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Marathon Maniac #957

When I was pregnant with my 2nd child, I developed gestational diabetes, and was told that means I have a 50% chance of developing diabetes later in life. My DH was told years ago that he was glucose intolerant, but he chose to ignore it, and now he has full-blown diabetes and is on 6 medications daily for diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. He is only 45 years old. I have to admit to being angry with him for having so much forewarning, yet not lifting a finger to try to stop the advance of this disease. This is of course fueled by my worry for his future health. But what can you do? You can't force people to change. I have to say, though, that his meds do a wonderful job of keeping his blood levels within normal ranges, especially considering his sedantary life and diet of fast food and powdered donuts. Roberta, if you continue to exercise and lose weight, you can go a long way toward slowing the advance of your diabetes (maybe even stopping it in its tracks), and staying healthy. Good luck and feel free to post regularly about your progress.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Thanks for sharing and highlinghting "once a diabetic, always a diabetic". (I didn't know that). This disease is epidemic in our couch ridden, fast food, large serving, drive everywhere society. It was interesting seeing all the fitness equipment and elderly people using them.... in the PARKS in Bejing! I bet diabetes is low in China. Here's to healthy excercise!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

My maternal grandfather had diabetes. I have no idea what the details were as the related problems killed him before I was born. Sad as my mother had loved him so much. My mother though could never bring herself to exercise, lose weight, or eat healthy. By some miracle she managed to avoid diabetes, but just barely. It is tough to see loved ones go down the fast lane towards ill health when they can do something about it. But, as I discovered with my mother and my DW is discovering with her parents unless the person gets it into their own head that it is live healthy or die early there is not much you can do. lswife best of luck keeping yourself as healthy as possible going forward.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Roberta, congrats on the steps you have taken to get/stay healthier! And good for you for encouraging others to do same. I wanted to point out a couple of things. First, there are two types of diabetes. Type 2, the kind Roberta reports that she has, gets most of the press and leads many to think that the "cure" is to have a healthier lifestyle. As you said, once a diabetic, always a diabetic, and while lifesytle changes can help, they are not a cure. With Type 2, insulin is still produced by the pancreas, but the cells are resistant to unlocking their doors to allow it to get through to do it's job of utilizing glucose. Exercise, a carb controlled diet, and oral meds and/or additional insulin can help. With Type 1, something (noone is sure what...possilby some sort of auto-immune response) causes the pancreas to stop producing insulin entirely...forever. Insulin MUST be obtained externally (via shots or an insulin pump). No amount of dieting or exercising can change that. It's sort of like organ failure. When I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 27, I was 5ft4in, and weighed 105 lbs. Bottom line is, we need to continue to work towards a real cure for both Type 1 and Type 2. Injecting insulin is not a cure for a Type 1, any more than oral meds are for a Type 2. They are thankfully fairly effective treatments, but both have side effects. There is also a lot of judgement and blame that is part of life when you have diabetes. Comments like "How could you have diabetes, you look so healthy?", or "Oh wow, did you eat too much sugary food when you were younger?", or "You can't have that, you're diabetic!" are not helpful and reflect the fact that many people think we have brought this upon ourselves and could be cured if we would just eat right and exercise. Not saying anyone here would do that, but it happens with enough frequency to convince me that it is a prevalent misconception. OK, I've done my part for diabetes education and spreading the word on the need for a REAL cure for all forms of diabetes. I will hop off my soapbox now. Meanwhile...back to your regularly scheduled runs Smile
                Progress Trumps Pefection
                lswife

SimonR - Yep, I originally was on the CR board, but after that changed so radically, I came here. I recently recommended C25K program to a friend who is a nonrunner but is interested in doing the Indy mini-marathon's accompanying 5K with me next May. How are you doing? flyin Hawaiian - I do usually post on the newbie board, and I found a great diabetes board I go to daily for hints from others, encouragement, recipes, info, etc. Holly S - I'm sure you're upset with your husband for not doing anything when he was still insulin-resistant. But in his defense, if he didn't have full knowledge of what the disease entails, it's understandable he didn't realize what the dangers were. I'm pretty sure if I had had that warning, it wouldn't have changed my indulgent lifestyle either. perchcreek - I noticed the park exercises and fitness equipment available to the public/elderly during the Olympics, and also saw few overweight Chinese. But in the many articles about the "dark side" of the Beijing Olympics, I'm wondering if the equipment is available now as the Olympics are over or even if that is available outside of Beijing. (OK - I'm being too political, too cynical, not for this board at all.) twocat - Doing what we can to stay as healthy as possible is up to each of us, no matter who preaches to us. Carol - Thanks for the great info, plainly explained, for all the non-diabetics here. If a person asks me anything at all about diabetes, I begin with that my pancreas is not working fully now (and never will again), so I have to help it out by eating low-carb. To most, that's all entirely new info. And the reply by others about our eating too much sugar when young - that's what my mother has always believed, and one major reason why I haven't told her yet (with my being four states away, it's pretty easy not to let her know.) All - thanks for your encouragement. Right now I'm "training" for a nearby town's Labor Day 5K, hoping to make a personal best in time. Well, frankly, a fast walker could beat me, and I'm using that as a motivation. Good luck to you

Renee the dog

perchcreek - I noticed the park exercises and fitness equipment available to the public/elderly during the Olympics, and also saw few overweight Chinese. But in the many articles about the "dark side" of the Beijing Olympics, I'm wondering if the equipment is available now as the Olympics are over or even if that is available outside of Beijing. (OK - I'm being too political, too cynical, not for this board at all.)
                    Never been in Beijing, but other parts of China 3x. If not equipment at the local park, there's always Tai Chi every morning, regardless....

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

roberta and carol -- thank you for sharing such useful information!! you are both an inspiration!! one of my gf's was diagnosed with Type 1 right before our 30th birthdays (years and years ago) and she was small all her life too - now she has a - oh no - i'm having a brain fart -- the insulin pump implant -- can't think of what it's called -- but she loves it and wishes she did it years ago keep up with the healthy lifestyle and educating those around you - it's great!! roberta -- good luck on your 5k!! make sure you fill us in with a RR!!

denise

Dave59

Interesting thread. Thanks for the information. I don't know if it will have any value to anyone, but a blog I read fairly regularly had an article about a study of the various diets that people get put on once they have type 2 diabetes: http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/08/evidence-behind-dietary-and-lifestyle.html