Masters Running

Best way to combine marathon training and strength training? (Read 360 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I have a question about strength training. Normally, I run on Tues, Wed, Thur, Sat, and Sun, and do strength training on Mon and Fri. I usually do 7-8 exercises on those days, 3 sets of each, about half upper and half lower body, and some core work. The weighted squats, dead lifts, and lunges seem to leave me the most sore for 1-2 days afterward, enough to affect my runs. I never do all three on the same day because of the severe soreness that would follow, but usually do weighted squats/dead lifts on one day, and lunges on the other day. I do other lower-body exercises as well, but none that leave the residual soreness that those 3 do. I rotate through these same exercises every week (same reps, same weights), and have for a couple of years. Yet each week my glutes and hams are stiff and sore for 2 days after strength training days. Which leaves me with the question – why are my muscles not getting accustomed to these? Am I breaking down muscle tissue as fast as I am building it? I’ve heard that you need rest to build muscle, but they get 24 hours between the weights session and my next running session to rest, and most marathon runners only take one day off, not the two days I take off. I don’t want sore hams/glutes to get in the way of my marathon training, but don’t want to reduce the exercises that I think are the most valuable (i.e. to my thinking, if it hurts the next day I must be doing some good). Any suggestions?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly - I do all squats, dead lifts, lunges, etc. in the same session, and I find if I don't do these at least two days/week, I will be sore afterward. If I lay off for a week or two and come back to those exercises, I am sore the first session, but thereafter, I don't have any residual soreness at all if I keep up the twice per week schedule.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

btb1490

Holly, everyone recovers differently from their activities, so you shouldn't allow yourself to be too biased by what "most" others are doing. You are in the middle of some heavy duty run training right now. I looked at your strength training sessions, they seem pretty intense to me given the amount of running your are doing at the moment. Maybe your body needs more recovery than you are giving it. Perhaps you should consider cutting back on the amount of reps in your sessions for now, and crank it back up again during your off season training. Or substitute one of your sessions with something else strength related, like a yoga class. Or run hills for active strength training in place of one of your sessions. I think it's ok to keep up the core work intensity, just give those legs a break from the weights and focus on your running more! Even if you cut back to one session a week, that will still be enough to maintain your strength. Your weight training shouldn't impede your run training, and it appears that it is, so somethings gotta give. I would think training for Boston is your main priority right now, and that to me indicates that you should think about adjusting your weight training routine accordingly.
        evanflein

I back off on a lot of the lower body weight training several weeks before the marathon (like, I'm not doing much of that now). I do a lot of hill work, which is frequently considered a good strength training workout for runners. If I do the deadlifts/lunges/squats I do normally, I'd be toast for my speed work or hills. Not sure what weights you're using when you do these, maybe you could back off some? I do 50 lb deadlifts and 40 lbs for lunges/squats and that just leaves me too wiped to run the next day. Upper body and core goes on pretty much all the time.

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - I'm only using 30lbs for both, but I do 60 reps of each. I wouldn't have thought that would be too much, though. I've been doing this same weight/reps for years.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Yeah, but like btb pointed out, you're also running more than you ever have. Sometimes something's gotta give...

Marathon Maniac #957

BTB - thanks - you make some good points. I'm still wondering if I could just spread them out more, like do the dead lifts on Wednesday nights, the squats on Sunday nights, the lunges on Thursday nights, and just do core/upper on Mon/Fri...I don't know. maybe you're right and I just need to lighten up the reps for a couple months, maybe 40 instead of 60...

Holly you may have answered your question, lack of rest, your legs never a rest day. Running or weights everyday. I run 5 days and do lower body weights on two days but always after a run and before a rest day. My two leg rest days are rest days. It seems to be working for me. Also, I only do the leg weights in the winter. Weight lifting is like running in that you need more variety or maybe your just using too much weight.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Head Procrastinator

You might ask this over here. http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=45&f=28 There are some ladies who are certified personal trainers over there and also run marathons.
                    ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                      I think the answer to your question depends on why you are doing weights in the first place. If it is to get faster, then knock it off! Smile Weight training is unlikely to help and can easily hurt your times. I do some core work and some upper body weight training. That is it. If you are worried about leg strength for running hills then the best thing you can do is charge up some hills during your regular training runs. On the other hand, if you are doing weights for body building reasons then that is a whole different story. I used to belong to a gym where I went through a couple of personal trainers. They both agreed on just two things. First, all the trainers other than themselves were hacks that had no idea what they were doing. Roll eyes Second, if you are as sore as you seem to be post workout then the solution was to cut back the weight and perhaps increase the reps a small bit. Good luck with all this. However, it does seem you will have to experiment. From reading this thread my guess is that nearly everybody will have different views on what is the right thing to do.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

spacityrunner

What twocat said... If you are feeling tired/pain take it easy. Either rest (I highly recommend one day of total rest) or cut back. You are strong and you will go fast if you don't break.

Trails Rock!

variety in your exercide program is the key. I wouldn't do my lunges with weights I'd guess that it is the exercise thats hurting your hamstings and glutes. 3 sets unweighted should be fine. I personally lift 3 days a week, with each session different than the one before. yesterday workout went like this. 65# for 20,105 for 15,140 for 10, 165 for 5, 190 for5 bench press. alt db press 10/40,20/30. alt db raise front 10/40,20/30 30/20, lat pulls 50/20,100/15/ cliff hanger lat pulls 150/10, support squats0/10,0/10,squats 45/10,75/10,105/10. dead lifts 65/10, 135/8, 205/6, 265/4,315/2, lying knee ups 50, I am sore a little today but that was expected I will still run tm tonight for 3-5 miles. I have followed a pretty strict regiment of lifting for over 2 years and my times have dropped from 26 min,5k's to 22:18. I am not a small runner at 5"10/200# or so, but my body fat is sub13 %.. Good luck training for Boston Marathon Derrick