Masters Running

Mon Dec 29 Runs and etc (Read 417 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Nono, so sorry to hear your back is giving you trouble! Hope you feel better shortly. Maybe try some eggnog. Tammy, that was a cute video of your son! My DD has a PS2, and I got her a snowboarding game for Christmas that she has only stopped playing to eat and sleep. Good luck prying the controls from your DS's fingers...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Maniac 505

Tammy, Great video. The good news is I did an ugly 16 miles yesterday one of my longer runs of the year.. My foot finally feels pretty much 100%, but I know I didn't have another 10 miles in me. The bad news is that I am registered for a Marathon in a month. The smart thing would be to take the just offered 1/2 marathon option, but it is Maui.... I will see how a long run goes in a couple weeks, then see how smart I am. thought of an easy 4 or 5 today, but the howling wind scared me away. I will hit it hard tomorrow. Dave
        Sorry still trying to catch up at work so this will be short: Ribs I think Favre's mistake was thinking anybody could get the Jets through a whole season without falling apart! I have (was?) a long time fan. I went to their games and cheered them on TV. Enough was enough and now I just follow them casually. I had thought Favre had worked a miracle earlier this season, but then the standard Jet ennui returned and they collapsed as usual. Tongue srlopez I had a dachshund as a kid. They are great pets. I hope yours comes out of all this in good shape and healthy again. perchcreek 61°!? I hate you! Smile evanflein I have been reading about your single digit degree day runs outside. I have to admit that given the frigid weather I have seen here it sure does lift my spirits! Evil grin Sorry, but if misery loves company it loves even more misery elsewhere more! Big grin divechief glad to hear your foot is feeling better and nice 16 miler to boot. Twocat I managed 16 miles today. Not a pretty sight. Finished in just under a ten minute mile pace! Sad Worse, it felt a lot faster. "Post" injury my legs feel stiff as a board. The now "healed" hamstrings are the culprit I think. Alas, I cannot really stretch them since everything I have read says not to. My DW has suggested that in addition to icing my hamstrings I also take a hot bath in our rarely used whirlpool tub. I am going to give that a shot. My ability to run with any speed has just evaporated I need to figure out how to fix that. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Tammy - that video is priceless! Smile Divechief - nice 16-miler! Maui, huh? I'd be tempted to walk those last 10 miles just to enjoy the scenary, but if they're offering a HM, that could be the way to go.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

5 easy on the treadmill. Not saying anything about the Cowboys. Walt, a Dallas-born McNabb fan

King of PhotoShop

Tammy, I loved it. So glad you filmed it. What a good boy. Dive, do the half, be careful. Enjoy the experience of being in maui. You have no real reason to do the full. Think about this. Just my opinion. And Walt, remember when you demurred about offering advice? Jump in here more often my friend. You are a fine runner. What great fiveK's you have run lately. Thanks for posting those. Twocat, two things for you: One is, why 16 miles if these are the issues? Take your time. Some dynamic flexibility exercises, ice and heat alternating, and a massage now and then. Second is, I agree with you about the Jets. They were predicted 9-7 or thereabouts at the beginning of the year, but to fire Mangini and stick with Favre? I often bemoan being an older runner, but if you read carefully, you will see a runner here older than me and in far better shape, and that is Henrun. He and Marj do some terrific long runs, cross-train, seldom get hurt and have some great race experiences too. My hat is off to them always. I admire them so much. To you srl, let us know. Hope the little fellow comes through okay. And finally, by now you have all seen TomD's post. Donna has brought so much joy to him. Wish them well. Spareribs
                The 16 miles is because "running" (which given my speed deserves scare quotes) at any particular distance does not appear to make things worse. I am hoping it might finally make things better by forcing my legs to stretch out a bit. At this point though, neither resting (which I tried a couple of weeks back) nor running seems to do much to change things much.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wow -- i almost didn't download your video Tammy because i've had trouble with utube videos but I AM SO GLAD I DID!!!! i am sitting here crying -- your son is THE BEST!! that was the most innocent, sincerest display of happiness and gratitude i have seen in ages!! so happy for all of you!! nono - hope your back is better soon ((tom and donna)) ((srl's doggy)) - hope surgery goes well gym workout - 30 minutes arc trainor -- well 28 really - i hit the stop button instead of incline with 2minutes left to go in my workout gggggrrrrrrrrrrrr .5 miles treadmill waiting for a step mill to open up 20 minutes step mill -- then abs and stretching will be happy when this eating fest comes to an end!!

denise

Tammy - That has to be the all time best spontaneous reaction to a gift I have ever seen. Football PS2 Video - $29.99 Play Station 2 - $199.99 (I really have no idea on the price, but this sounded good) Son's Reaction Opening the Gifts at Christmas - PRICELESS! Twocats - I apologize for my ignorance, but is it your hamstrings that are really tight? If so, why have you been tolld not to do any stretching? In the continued spirit of my ignorance with regard to your issue, if you are having tight hamstring issues, have you tried easy wall stretches? I had horribly tight hamstrings - which were also giving me back problems - and these were my miracle cure Won't say anything else until my ignorance has been enlightened. SR - Left a post on the other thread, but {{{hugs}}} to your little guy. Let us know how he's doing. And after that kind of surgery, I think he deserves to be a tad cranky. Wink

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

5 miles on the treadmill and a 25 minute upper body/abs workout at the gym while DS2 was at b'ball practice. For someone who had the day off work to do whatever, I seemed to spend most of it in the car and running errands. Not the "day off" I had planned! Oh well, off the rest of the week so I have a chance to get better at this. I usually set the treadmill for a certain time (say, 45 minutes, 60... 90... whatever) and run that much time and see what I get for distance. Obviously tied to how far I want to run, but today I had 5 planned, and I'd normally set the TM for 45 minutes and just go. Not today. The second I hit 5 miles I stopped that sucker. Just didn't feel like doing another step I didn't "need" to. Tammy, that was precious.
                        So, here's david opening his last two gifts on Christmas morning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH7FXKyRriM
                        Tammy, your son is a precious kid....very appreciative and thankful.
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tammy, your son is a precious kid....very appreciative and thankful.
                          Ditto, I just watched that myself right now....priceless Smile TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!