Masters Running

Frudays' Daily, 12.5.14 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I was so tired yesterday that I almost fell asleep at my stand-up desk! Wouldn't that have been interesting (or not)? So I decided to sleep in this morning to get myself back on an even keel. So far, it's working.

This evening, DW and I are going to the Button Factory in Portsmouth, NH. It's an old brick factory building (guess what kind?) that was long ago converted to artist studios. Normally, they are closed, working studios. But for one weekend a year, they clean up and open the building to the public and allow the artists to sell their creations from their studios. There are painters, photographers, potters, ceramic artists, people who make jewelery from all kinds of materials, wood carvers and turners, furniture makers, fabric artists, etc., etc. It's a treat to see the work of so many talented artists in one place, and to have the opportunity to meet and speak with the artists. Fun stuff!

Tomorrow, I have a 9am racewalking training session, followed by a trip with DW to another (indoor) winter's farmer's market, and then Trader Joe's. If' we're lucky, we'll get back in time to catch at least part of our town's annual Christmas parade, which could have been created by Norman Rockwell - so home-spun and charming.

According to the "Intrepid Racers," only Tramps and Deez are racing this weekend, so you two will have to carry on for the rest of us!

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - that Button Factory event sounds really neat.  Tomorrow is our town's Christmas parade as well, but DD has a basketball game in Xenia so we will miss it this year.

Erika - BRRR!

10.1 miles for me today before DS' dentist appt. in 35 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Jay,

I was in Porstmouth once a very long time ago. We really enjoyed our stay there.

4.7 easy miles in a dense fog. Tonight is a local 2 mile Christmas run/walk. The route is lit by luminaries. Always enjoyable with some of the best cookies ever at the end. It's a small dutch settlement.

evanflein

Have fun, Jay, that sounds like a really wide range of artists selling their stuff.

Holly, I have a childhood friend living in Xenia. Good for you on getting your run in early.

I never did run yesterday. Stayed later at work than planned and just couldn't get the mojo to go out in the cold. I realize this "cold" is nothing compared to what we could have, or what we're going to get, but for now I just didn't want to deal with it. Stayed home and vacuumed the cat. Really. Posted a video on FB even.... goofy cat.

It's a wee bit warmer today (hey, it's above zero!) so I'll go run later this afternoon.

Fruday [sic]? Is there some hidden meaning there? We're having the same weather as Holly, but I was reluctant to try running again even though the knee seems 100% better after only 2 out of 9 days of my prescription, so instead I walked briskly (but not at a Jay pace!) with a couple other of the walking-wounded on the 6-mile lake loop then went out for a late breakfast.

Next week I'll start with a spinning session and run a bit on the TM before venturing outside for some EZ running. It might hit the 50s late in the week, so hopefully I'll catch a couple of those days. After the early winter blast a couple weeks ago we were prepared for another winter of polar vortices, but right now we've settled into a more typical pattern.

After my original expected car in a nice conservative blue color was damaged in an apparent rail accident (a number of cars damaged, some totaled at the same time), I'm glad in the end that I went back to my original color choice, which they happened to have on the lot. Think this is "too red" for an old guy like me?  All the latest tech gizmos, too, more like a computer with an attached car. Zoom, zoom!

2015 Mazda 3 S-GT hatchback

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Stayed home and vacuumed the cat. Really. Posted a video on FB even.... goofy cat.

I tried vacuuming our cat with the dustbuster once, but it kind of freaked him out.

Roch - sweet!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sweet wheels Rochrunner!

Greetings all! Busy week of work travel---Colorado and also NYC. Tis the season and all.

I like the beard Slo, but yes, the various colors that emerge are interesting. My CNYrunner's facial hair is quite grey (or blond he says...ha!). The kiddo came home for Thanksgiving with freshman facial hair   It looked good actually.

I need to go correct the Intrepid racers list as I'll be running the Hot Chocolate Run for Safe Passage 5k on Sunday http://www.hotchocolaterun.com. It's a huge fundraiser for an amazing organization sheltering women and children who face abuse and violence here in Hampshire County. They also offer counseling and important support. This race, now in its 11th year, raises more than 15% of operating budget for the organization. Everything is donated and the mugs we get at the finish bear the original art work of Hilary Price ("Rhymes with Orange" nationally syndicated cartoon). She is a Northampton resident and a runner! Many of you here donated to my fundraising effort for this race and I am so very grateful. Our team total is nearing $6,000 and we are the third place team right now. Our own Aamos was instrumental in hiring the first Exec. Director of Safe Passage years ago when she lived and worked here in Western, Mass. Thank you all so much! My former assistant years ago at Vassar was beaten so brutally by her husband that she had to leave work. And even closer to home, my only sibling can't see his son because of the reign of terror on his own family. I approach the race with a happy spirit and a heavy heart.

Good early morning running Holly!

The Button Factory is awesome---love it there. There's a holiday open studios here this weekend at the Cottage St. studios (a converted mill building much like the Button Factory. This area was known for its silk mills and textile work back in the day). I love that the artist colony is so large and well supported all over New England.

This week marked the first of 20 in my Boston marathon training plan. Time flies!

Happy weekend all!

Roch, you are never too old for red!

Sorry I have been so out of the loop.  I hope to participate more now.

I haven't run in about 3 weeks.  I had screwed up my knee pretty bad, and even just several days ago couldn't sprint to catch the bus.  I have this clicking noise from a ligament.  It's always been there to some extent or another, but it got really bad for those weeks.  Anyway, today I sprinted to catch the bus without any pain so I think finally tomorrow I will give it a shot on the trails.  Say a prayer, I can't stand the thought of not running again.  At least being on the DL at this time of year has been relatively easy (dark, rainy, cold).

In other news, Mr. C (Door#20) and I broke it off after 3.5 months of dating (his idea, so I was dumped!)  Although I could see how long-term he wouldn't have made me happy, we seemed very compatible and similar and I was greatly enjoying all the perks of having a companion.  I was pretty shocked, also a bit shocked that he had still been meeting up with other women to keep his options open, while pursuing me strongly (!) but I am getting over it quickly.  Ouch.  Already I have Door#21 lined up for next week.  Doesn't appear to be my type at all, but just a really fun person (polar opposite to Mr. C).

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Dang it, enke....that stinks.  I never liked the looks of him anyway....he was too tall.  Seriously, I am very sorry.

Mariposai

Zoom, zoom, Rochrunner!

Jay, enjoy your racewalking training session tomorrow.

Holly, 10 miles in 35F, good for you!

Slow, how did your Christmas run go tonight?

Erika, fun video of your cat.

Karin, good luck with your first 20 for Boston.

Speaking of Boston, this is the first week of my road to Boston training plan. First mile repeat tonight, 8 miles total mixing up slow and tempo pace miles. It was actually a fun run.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I was so tired yesterday that I almost fell asleep at my stand-up desk

According to the "Intrepid Racers," only Tramps and Deez are racing this weekend, so you two will have to carry on for the rest of us!

<>jay - since I can sleep walk, I've often wondered if I could sleep standing up. I think I sometimes do in bank lines. However, you must really have been tired this fruday.

Tramps- hope you can be half jay-like fast too.

Slo - I hope all the luminaries are hot,...that new Christmas butterfly sure is

roch - anyone who can has the agility to climb out of your new sporty lowslung, deserves to have it in red.

holly - the 35-degree dentist reminds me of the cold water the barber sprays on my unsuspecting scalp.

enke - no particular reason but let divechief and me know where this no. 20 hiding out anyway, ... to say nothingof his predecessors....

karin - Have a good and now Intrepid run too. Not sure how your bro ended up at the receiving end but, it was here in Seattle, he’d probably be the one in jail. I hope not. good luck. let us know if you see aamos

...my only sibling can't see his son because of the reign of terror on his own family.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Made it out for 6.2 miles tonight. Glad I waited as it warmed up to about 14° from about 6°.

Marathon Maniac #957

Although I could see how long-term he wouldn't have made me happy, we seemed very compatible and similar and I was greatly enjoying all the perks of having a companion.  

If you focus on the first part of the sentence, you could look at it as maybe you are better off getting out now.  If it's any consolation, I am (once again) not speaking to my DH.  Having a relationship isn't always what it's cracked up to be. 

Mariposai - I am so excited for your Boston!

Tet - I love you but I have no idea what that means.....

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Aw, enke, I'm sorry.  I love the way you approach the whole enterprise, though, and I hope you have fun with Mr Door#21.

evanflein, Hamish-the-dog loves being vacuumed.  The cat disappears when the machine comes out, so I haven't had a opportunity to try it on her.  I don't think it would go well.  Evil kitteh has walked around the house yowling from 5:30 AM onwards the last couple of mornings and we're getting really tired of it.  I think she's about to discover that waking us up means an unwanted trip outdoors until we decide we want her company.

Will she learn from this?  Of course not.  Stoopid cat.

My foot really hurts.  D is nagging me to go get it x-rayed but I'm almost certain they won't be able to tell me to do anything more about it than I'm doing already - if it hurts, don't do it.  I really, really ought to have listened to myself when I planned to stay off trail the other day, but I *had* to go frolic.  Now I may be off the road just in time for dark and Christmas food.

Will I learn from this?  Of course not.  Stoopid me.