Masters Running

Monday 12/14/15 - do you have a favorite running poem? (Read 33 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Do you have a favorite running poem or song?
    For around rainy Seattle, I even got an “ame-ni-mo-makezu, . . . “ t-shirt from the memorial museum in Japan for the author who wrote about overcoming adversities, including the first line about not giving into the rain ( “ame” ) and I remember the area running rag had article a long time ago about a gal trying to memorize a favorite poem during a run.  It didn’t work as she kept getting distracted by the side-bars of neighbors doing garden work, dogs barking, etc.  It's even more so during a race. I’ve failed too to try to memorize anything and can’t even get through the full verses of favorite poems I already know.  Fortunately, the first line of the Japanese one starting out with "ame" is usually all I need around Seattle. Smile
    Erika - I did Humpy’s the first year and like what seems-to-be at-least-the-third rendition of the event name to “moose’s tooth,” especially as there were never any moose on it during the annual August running in the summer.  However, the winter snows usually brought them down to the packed the bike paths. Glad you’ve been around ‘em enough to go the other way, particularly before their ears to up. 

Especially after missing some half-dozen others’ stops here this year, hope it works out to see you, and everyone else, when you’re down here. Do you like ra, . . I mean fresh fish at a nearby Japanese restaurant?  No Christmas shopping commitments though? ’
    Amy on #18 - you are sure making up for missing a couple of years of running during your volunteer teaching in the South.  I used to like to say that, at one point, I was neck-and-neck with your in our marathons, . . . though I had to start some 30 years before you (1977) to do it.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - I admit, I do not have a favorite running poem, or even a favorite running song.

Mariposai - congratulations to your DS graduating!  My youngest brother, an attorney, has given up practicing law and is back at school getting his degree in Environmental Science in the spring.

Erika - that's a lot of moose for one run...

Mike - if I had a hammer, ....

Hugs to all of those dealing with ailing relatives...it is not an easy time, for sure.

DD was carrying my sewing machine downstairs and dropped it, and it now does not work.  I found out it costs $90 just to have your machine cleaned and serviced, and repairs are extra.  I could buy a used machine for $40 on Craigslist.  However, I am first turning to my running friend Renee's teenage son, who is quite skilled at taking things apart and putting them back together.  He might at least tell me if it is something minor.  I am not a skilled seamstress, but fairly regularly have to hem pants.  (The curse of the short person.)

3 recovery paced miles for me this morning in a very windy 64 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

....with me it's usually whatever music the choir is working on

or

since I have to walk now,

a German March

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyE_OiDVXCo

whenever I get an Urge to Invade Poland,

I get back in the car

==============

...back still twingy, so REST DAY

.................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

Hi All,

busy weekend here! It was David's 16th bday on Friday, so he and some buddies went out to dinner and then to a hockey game. The friends all spent the night so Saturday was about making breakfast for a bunch of hungry boys, then prepping for family birthday dinner and bday cake, etc. for another celebration on Saturday night. We woke up to snow, which quickly turned to slop on Sunday. We've probably had more rain/precipitation in the last couple wks than we had all year so far - but no complaints since we've pretty much been in drought for 3 yrs now.

I still don't think I've run in December yet. . . 

Tammy

Henrun

On the train returning to Boston after a wonderful long weekend in NYC I have composed a haiku:

Over the Brooklyn Bridge

A run supreme

The skyline shines silvery bright.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  Well pshew, glad you made that stop, Steve!  Maybe the relationship can be saved, after all...... and thanks for your kind words.  I just so wanted to make it with Linz and we came so close.....easy to beat yourself up a bit, even though it's wasted energy, I know.

COngrats Mari; what a lovely family time.  Can't believe you churned out 20 miles then.  I'm in awe.

tet, I have a favorite passage in which I insert running for walking, but it's not one I repeat to myself when running.  Then, I'm either listening to NPR or forgettable music, except of course, when I'm listening to Frank.  (Or reciting Hail Marys)   Here's the passage (I have the first 4 lines on my desk):

Keep walking, though there’s no place to get to. 
              Don’t try to see through the distances. 
              That’s not for human beings. 
              Move within, but don’t move the way fear makes you move.
              Today, like every other day, we wake up empty & frightened. 
              Don’t open the door to the study and begin reading. 
              Take down a musical instrument.
              Let the beauty we love be what we do.
              There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

Rumi

I know that curse, Holly, even tho in my mind I am a tall person.  Sometimes I can find a sale in petites, that's so good.  Hope you can bring the machine back to life.  We need more folks in the world like Renee's son, I think.

Hiya deez!       Hiya Tammy--been thinking 'bout you with all the weather reports about the snow.

Think Slo and Jlynne are over the hangovers yet??

The gov gave us Xmas Eve off, did I say that yet?  Forgive me, we're just so excited here!  After today, just 7 more work days.

Have you been to Google today?  Very much fun!  Honoring the Indian guru BKS Iyengar - who is credited with bringing yoga to the West - to mark what would have been his 97th birthday.  https://www.google.com/

BKS Iyengar - whose birth name was Bellur Krishnamachar Sundararaja Iyengar - died last year after an eight-decade career popularising his version of “Iyengar yoga” in India and across the world.

Earlier, he was making his moves on the o; now he's at the l.

I should do yoga.  O, 6 really easy ones this am, just to circulate the blood and check for damages.  My nurse friend drove by me for a bit again.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Believe or not, this is one of my favorite songs to run to, and this one when I need to get a good upbeat pace going for awhile.  I'll play the 2nd one over and over as needed.

I need to go back and see what Erika is doing playing with moose.

Same carpy weather that Tammy is experience, but not the snow/slushies.  And as she said, we're VERY happy to be getting it!

Saturday, I drove about an hour north to Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park for a 12-mile run.  Took me about 3 hrs, which is normal, including scrambling over quite a bit of blow down from the storms and wet ground.  One huge redwood is going to cause the trail to have to be re-routed 'cause it ain't goin' nowhere, and I will be surprised if they try and remove it.  Another downed tree, they drove a couple of huge nails into the side to use as a step and one on top to use as a handhold.   It rained the entire time, but when you're under the trees like that, it's not such a nuisance. But I did discover that my "light rain jacket" is more likely a "wind-resistant" jacket since I was totally soaked through and through by the time I got done.

This morning was about 1.25 of core/ST.

And that's about it!  Have a great week, friends ~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

New skirt in town

I don't have any favorite lines or lyrics to share, and I feel like I'm missing out on the fun!

I started my 18-week training plan for Boston today. Time to undo all of the overeating damage wrought on me after running NYC 6 weeks ago!

BKS Iyengar...his grandson, Vivek, was a Fellow in our dermatology practice a few years ago. I don't think he even practiced yoga!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

I have the following quote taped to a filing cabinet in my office:

The voice of caution knows nothing of real joy.

What joy is there in doing what you know you could do?

Try something you could fail at . . . that might just be living.

(Neale Donald Walsh)

I try to remember that when I think, "I'd like to, but I don't think I can . . ."

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

I’m the kind of dog that likes to run around.
                      Where ever there’s critters
                      You know I will be found.
                      I chase ‘em and wanna get ‘em
                      To me they’re all the same.
                      They’re quicker than Dad
                      He runs like he’s lame
                      I’m Taggy Butt
                      I’m Taggy Butt.
                      I run round and round and round and arroooh!!!
                      I run up and down the trail.
                      All Dad sees is my tail.
                      My life is quite a dream
                      It’s better with ice cream.
                      I’m Taggy Butt
                      I’m no mangy mutt
                      I run round and round and round and arroooh!!!

Sniffing Butts, Tag

SteveP

Taggie Butt's a running nut
                        He's too much to believe
                        He got himself a Batman costume
                        From his daddy, Steve
                        His momma at home calls him "Baby"
                        You know he likes to jump and play
                        Every sunny afternoon 
                        He loves tearing up the trails
                        And he wouldn't have any othe way...

SteveP

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Real quick--10 miles with 3x2 at around a 6:38 pace.

Sorry Steve--but I think the dog gotchya beat.

Gotta go!  See ya!

Quick post for me too. I worked from 7 to noon then took the pm off for a Christmas luncheon with a cute program. A lovely initiation ceremony for a new member followed. It was just what I needed. That, and the Michael W Smith  & Amy Grant Christmas concert has me in a better mood.  After I got home I braved the winds and ran the lake, 4.7 miles. Almost turned around at 1.5. It was so windy one of our two signal lights was damaged and barely hanging there.  I have been kind of down since our DD1, the nurse, was fired just before Thanksgiving. I don't know how to reach out to her without butting in so I stay quiet and let MrStarr communicate with her. She is 37 and has a few issues, a weight problem mainly. Now she has to move out of her townhouse to a furnished apartment. We agreed to store her stuff. She is a hoarder to some extent too so that is not going to be easy for her. I know she could use counseling, but hired a "life coach" instead. This is just phone calls, etc. that kind of support. So, it looks like Christmas will be moving weekend. Maybe I will get to run in Plymouth, how close is that to you MikeE? Oh right, you will have company, never mind.

Erika, I would have been so happy to spot a moose on that trail but we never did. You sure do fly a lot and know the ins and outs, well a lot of you here do. Tomwhite, can you post a key for your abbreviations so I can tape them to my computer? Thank you. I think ribs is mad because more people cared about Lucy getting sick than when he had surgery. Maybe if we all send him fudge,,, or toffee.  Get, I can't think of any poems off the top of my head but maybe on my work pc there will be some tidbits saved. I used to read essays from The Road Scholar that I liked.  Amy's done 18 marathons! How do you keep track of it all? Kudos to you.  Holly, I mentioned taking a camping trip to Green Bay in May so We can come to the party at Jlynne's!  Tammy, hard to believe David is 16! It is harder to believe that he gave up running.

That is all for now. Stay warm, dry and well everyone.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

Starr, sorry to hear about your daughter. She's got some issues and now job loss on top of it. Drat.... hope she rebounds well. I see moose all the time on my run, but those Anchorage moose are a challenge because they have no fear of people which makes them dangerous. I gave a wide berth. If you could come up to Green Bay for the marathon that would be a lot of fun! Bring that DH of yours, too.

Ah Tag... hope I get to meet you in May! I hear Perchcreek will be coming too and bringing his new dog, Jake! Perch's best running partner, Tory, crossed the rainbow bridge not too long ago and I'm happy to hear there's a new doggie to carry on the tradition at chez Perch.

Looking forward to seeing Tetsujin on the 26th!! Any other Seattle area folks able to come out and hang with us for a bit? Enke? Divechief?

So it was "supposed" to warm up today, but never really did. I headed out after work anyway though, and had a great run. It took a couple miles for my hands to warm up, but then I was fine other than the icicles on my eyelashes that made the headlight beams from oncoming cars make bright prisms in my field of vision. 5.7 miles at between -5 and -1 (it seemed to warm up later on). I actually think that's my first more miles than degrees run this year!