Masters Running

May 2 Musings (Read 47 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

I'm looking forward to Tammy's and Esther's marathons this weekend!  Esther's race is on pavement, so the snow should be gone by Sunday.   The trails will still be snowy, though - we got a foot of snow yesterday at my house.

Mike, enjoy the going away parties, and I hope the new job works out well for you!

Holly, how's Atlanta?  Any good places to run, or are you too busy?

I ran 7.5 miles at lunchtime today,  in Cherry Creek State Park.  The trails here in the flatlands are mostly snow-free already.  Happy trails, everyone!

Carolyn

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

New skirt in town

Ah, and the Dallas-Nashville connection is made clear!

6.1 miles today, with 3 at HM pace. Felt much better than my speed work on Tuesday!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Mike E

MM #5615

Yes--good luck to both Tammy and OM!

Thanks, wild.  I'm kind of surprised you're not doing that marathon with OM...it's only a marathon, after all...

I did 4.2 miles in 32:02.  The quads are coming back slowly but surely.

wildchild

Carolyn

Thanks, wild.  I'm kind of surprised you're not doing that marathon with OM...it's only a marathon, after all...

It's paved, crowded, and expensive - otherwise I'd have been there!   Just not what I'm looking for these days.  But I'm hoping to meet up with OM on Monday for a visit while she's here.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

aka FlyingFinn

I ran yesterday but didn't post, 3 sproinky miles. Belated Hauskaa Vappua!

Today I didn't run but had a wonderful fencing day. Coach, DH, and another member of our club had the pleasure of watching 45 5th & 6th grade students fence for the first time.  The kids couldn't wait to do this. We set up the scoring system so they could see the lights and hear the buzzers while DH and I fenced, and they erupted in applause when I scored a touch on DH. They learned some footwork basics and we suited them all up so they could bout each other.  They loved it. Coach, Heather and I spent a couple hours in the coffee shop before fencing practice tonight. A great day.

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

Ran six miles at 5:45 am with the fast girls---7:50 pace and fell off the back a bit, but didn't lose contact. roar.

Happy marathon weekend! I'll be at mile 24 of the Holyoke marathon on Sunday---one woman water stop and last chance before the climb to the finish. When I am in Atlanta I run in Piedmont Park, were you near there Holly?

Wildchild! I am heading to Colorado in June and July and probably many times after that. Colorado College is now a client and I'll likely fly into Denver and drive---maybe I can extend one of the trips or two or three and we can run together?!

Nitey Nite

SteveP

Could the world handle one picture with both Wildchild and OM?

Karin, how are the "J"s?

DD#2 (Honey's mom) has a birthday today. She mentioned she'd like a stool. So we got her a folding step stool. She meant a step/foot stool so that when she has young visitors, they can use it to reach her bathroom sink. I made Mom one when I was grade school. It's held together for 40 years but looks like something a kid made. SO I started on the same design, but with cherry instead of pine. I was done, then decided to spice it up a touch while still keeping it simple. Now I have only 6 more pieces to cut and attach. When I make three goofs in an hour, I call it "fatigue" and pack it in. So I wandered over to the neighbors and read bedtime stories to a couple of grandsons. As Roman is in the foster program, we don't know much about him, including his middle and last name. DD#1 has to take him for supervised visitation with Bio Mom three times a week. No mention of Bio Dad ever. More than half the time, the woman either no-shows or cancels though she's fighting the courts for full custody. My guess is that she needs to fight a lot more inner demons than she does the courts. I'm also guessing that bio grandparents are not an option. We've been praying our tails off for Roman's entire family. I'd like the little dude to be part of our tribe for life, but my heart also breaks for his mom. Goodness that kid is a delight and rubbing his back while he falls asleep is pretty kewl.

SteveP

Steve, you have the biggest heart!

The Js are all doing well even if not running as much. Dr. J will probably never run again but she has a full and busy life. We try and get a walk together at least once a week. Iron J or original J is on the same racing team with me and still my long run buddy. Spicy J and Canada J aren't running as much these days, but I see them at school functions and for occasional runs. I am going to a free Cross-Fit clinic at Canada J's health club (she's the owner) so I'll be seeing her more! Thanks for asking!

aka FlyingFinn

Steve, you have the biggest heart!

+1

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

wildchild

Carolyn

Wildchild! I am heading to Colorado in June and July and probably many times after that. Colorado College is now a client and I'll likely fly into Denver and drive---maybe I can extend one of the trips or two or three and we can run together?!

Absolutely!!!  If you don't mind running at my really slow pace - I'm not so good at roaring!   But the mountain trails will be gorgeous in June and July - it would be wonderful if you could come visit, or I could meet you in town somewhere!    And thanks for the update on the Js.

SteveP, give little Roman an extra hug and kiss from all his imaginary running buddies here!  You're a good guy.

Mariposai

Mike, I hope your next gig works out great for you!!!

Look at Robin, running 6 miles and 3@MP pace! Great come back. When is your next race?

Ohh and let us not forget Twocat, who is also coming back strong after Boston. 10 miles in Ireland!!! Magnificent!

Tammyskirt-talina, you are going to do so well this weekend! This is defenitely on my 2014 race calendar, specially if Marj and henrun will be there.

Wow, Karin is whack at running with the fast girls!!! hurrahhhh.

ME? Just 10 miles after work today. First 4 with my DH, last 6 of hills while stopping here and there to pick up some wild asparagus. Came home, worked in the garden and then cooked the asparagus for dinner...yummie!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

ME? Just 10 miles after work today...

Ok, now that's depressing, although it shouldn't bug me since it's just the way it is. I'd love to be able to say "just 10 miles..." after work or any time. Anything over 10 is a real ordeal for me these days. And I couldn't even get out for a run today. Well, I could have, if I wanted to run at 8 pm. But I didn't. Worked till 6, headed to the grocery store for basics (Mother Hubbard syndrome at home...), had to do a couple other errands, got home and shoveled some of the snow DS1 dumped off the garage onto the driveway... in front of the garage door. Roll eyes We have a flat garage roof and will all the snow we've gotten, it's pretty heavy and wet so need to move it off there, but it would be nice if he'd moved it over the edge of the driveway. Oh well. Got inside exhausted from conference, long travel, crazy work day and late nights. So... another day of no run.

I was thinking of doing the same marathon OM is doing. It would get me Colorado, and I could do that while with DH at his work conference. But... work is crazy so I couldn't stay away and this spring (late winter) has been dreadful for anything resembling training. So, I'm here at home instead of preparing to run an expensive, crowded race on pavement. I wouldn't mind, but understand Carolyn's reluctance to do so. I admire the heck out of her choosing the races she wants to run, with the main goal to enjoy the run and the day. Gotta love it. You go, grrl.

Ran a few days in Texas, and like Breger said yes it felt incredibly hot and humid to me. I was a drippy sweaty mess when I got back to the hotel, and ran 6.1 miles, 3.7 miles, and 3.1 miles on three of the days I was there. All hilly. All humid. After getting sunburned on Sunday's late morning run, Monday and Tuesday were at 6:30 a.m. and better temperature-wise. Came home to temps in the 20's and snow. Grrr.

Absolutely!!!  If you don't mind running at my really slow pace - I'm not so good at roaring!   

Carolyn, "Roaring" is an attitude, not a speed.  You definitely "Roar".  (And really, you're not slow either.)

SteveP, I agree with Karin.

Erika, it won't take you long to get back to feeling strong again once your weather (and workload) eases up.  Hang in there.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong