Masters Running

Sat. 2/28 daily (Read 388 times)

5 miles tempo with Coach... 1-7:22 2-7:07 3-7:02 4-6:59 5-6:56 He expects me to talk at this pace too....35:28...7:06 avg.
    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
    evanflein

PJH, you are incredibly lucky. Last year at a 10k, I left my key with a friend. When I got back, he was gone! I panicked for a bit, but he'd just run to the store (in his own car, not mine... whew!) and was back pretty soon. He said he didn't think I'd be done so soon. Hmph. Nice run, Holly. I agree with Ribs that the key is to string those miles together, like cruise intervals. Those are my favorite runs, actually. TomS, I sure hope things go well with your mom. That's pretty scary when they're older and frail and undergo procedures like that. My mom will be undergoing her second shoulder replacement in a couple weeks. This completes the Bionic Grandma transformation... she's had both hips, both knees and now will have both shoulders replaced. She's a trooper and usually comes back pretty well... but she's also 76 and getting frail so I'm worried about her this time. I'll be out of town when she has it done... would appreciate some prayers this way. I can totally relate to SLO and all the other treadmill runners. We got a LOT of snow (sometimes I think the snowfall is tied to the act of plowing the bike path... they just got done so nicely yesterday!) and more on the way. I'm not even going to deal with it. I'm totally sick of slogging and stumbling around in this crap. So... it'll be 10 on the 'mill today, and most likely 20 tomorrow. I'm sort of looking forward to the pace control it offers, and will try the 10 easy, 10 mp tomorrow (well, that's the plan).
        nonoruns ran out of tissues? Confused Never heard of that as a timing device but to each his or her own . . . SLO_HAND amen up until you actually gave some praise to a TM. biketm I tell you my local Chevy dealer could sure use your services! The service area has had several managerial changes. After the one two managers ago I stopped going in for service things got so bad. I bought a new car from them this past summer so I am back due to the warranty. I suppose that will let me see if things have gotten any better. Holly S. nice long run in pretty cold weather. tselbs good work on the TM. I hope your mother improves. fatozzig I get ticked off when hotels charge a daily connection rate too. Even more aggravating is that it is the more expensive ones that do! BTW when you say you are putting on a session is it that you arranged the speakers or that you are presenting? Sarge nice double digit run with the DW. Spareribs I think there is a wind epidemic going around, as it is blowing like crazy here in CT. Keep up the miles! When I can run again I plan to rag on you until I see you in the 40/40 thread! Wink munchkn883 rain running! A very determined lady you are! perchcreek 22 in the rain no less! I think Shocked pretty much sums it up! PJH outside in -13° weather! That is almost, yep just almost, in evanflein territory! Very impressive that you can do that. I would definitely have had to resort to the TM. fussyrunner 8.6 miles in pretty nasty conditions is not like nothing you know. Nice run or runs or whatever the right phrase may be. Tongue evanflein my DW needs a shoulder replacement. Let me know how it goes. I realize age is a big factor here. Still it would be nice to know what is really involved. I hope your mom recovers quickly and fully and has a shoulder that is fully functional as well. I worked out in the gym today while my DW went to the local jogging club and ran with them. I then met her and the other club members for their post run coffee gathering. My DW brought along some of the muffins I made last night which are always a big hit with the group. One guy even talked about taking up a collection to pay for my costs! What do you think I can mark muffin ingredients up to? Big grin It is really cold, cloudy and windy out which is all a precursor to a snow storm coming our way. I just cannot believe we are going to get hit again! Sad Well, it is still February and not May. I have to keep telling myself that. At least I fly off to southern California for a few days on business later this week.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Nono you use tissues?? Ok, I guess I just use my absorbent gloves, probably explains why no one wants to run with me. They do get washed every time, honest. Perch, amazing run. But are you tapering? It doesn't look like it. Tramps, good idea about running by feel. I have had the same problems trying to hit certain paces. Other than the first two miles of run, in which I will check my Garmin to prevent myself from going too fast, I don't let the Garmin dictate how fast or slow I run. It is only for post-run analysis. 6.3 recovery miles, 11:09 pace, I didn't feel as bad as I expected after yesterday's long tempo, which is promising. Hopefully 15.7 miles tomorrow for a total of 40 for the week, with only 4 days of running.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

PJH

PJH outside in -13° weather! That is almost, yep just almost, in evanflein territory! Very impressive that you can do that. I would definitely have had to resort to the TM.
            Luckily, on Saturdays, we always run in a pack. If I was on my own, I'd have probably run on the TM ... or just stayed in bed. When it does get this cold, I do believe in running with someone else just for safety reasons, especially since some of the routes I run are somewhat isolated with little traffic. (It took a 'face plant' on a cold night a couple of years ago to learn that.) I'm with you though, I don't know how Erika runs in these temps consistently ... kudos to her! PJ
            Slo

Just back from a nice easy 5 miler. So I thru a little bitch about the weather......when it comes right down to it, once your out the door it ain't so bad. The 1st 2.6 miles was dead into the wind......but it was at my back the rest of the way home and I felt like I was flying ! PJH.....nice run in sub zero ! K.....here's my new rant. Very soon we will have a very unseasonably warm day.......the sun will be strong, people will be out, couples strolling hand in hand. Somewhere there will be a cute college girl with her hair pulled back in a pony tail wearing red short shorts with white piping and a white short sleeve shirt with red trim around the sleeves......jogging......likely for the 1st time this year. Our local News Herald will find her, they'll snap her picture in full stride. They'll plaster her on front cover of the next days edition welcoming Spring, some how proclaiming that conditions anything other than this is left for those idiots that dot the streets in the pre-dawn twilight casting shadows on the curb as they pass under the street lights. Here's to the Idiots..........

Renee the dog

Nono you use tissues?? Ok, I guess I just use my absorbent gloves, probably explains why no one wants to run with me. They do get washed every time, honest.
                Um, I have a full, raging, sinus infection type cold. The glove wipe thing wasn't going to cut it. So I took 3 "man-size" tissues (why is it in my 40s I snicker at that term more than I did when I was young?) along. They were used well. Good news, I guess Confused, is I can run and blow my nose at the same time. The goal was to get some movement in my system to spur this whatever to move along. I did. Now my ears are clogged and I'm mostly deaf. Dead

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tramps

Very soon we will have a very unseasonably warm day.......the sun will be strong, people will be out, couples strolling hand in hand. Somewhere there will be a cute college girl with her hair pulled back in a pony tail wearing red short shorts with white piping and a white short sleeve shirt with red trim around the sleeves......jogging......likely for the 1st time this year. Our local News Herald will find her, they'll snap her picture in full stride. They'll plaster her on front cover of the next days edition welcoming Spring, some how proclaiming that conditions anything other than this is left for those idiots that dot the streets in the pre-dawn twilight casting shadows on the curb as they pass under the street lights. Here's to the Idiots..........
                  Beautiful. Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

You're a good writer, Slo Hand! Yep, you're right, they probably won't be putting the photo of a 46-year-old mom running in a few inches of snow!
                    TammyinGP

just returned from 11 miles. Pretty slow . .. 1:52:23 . .. but took a few walk breaks here and there. It was a good run.

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Yep, here's to the idiots! I'll drink to that! Lots of nice runs out there today. I took Tazzie and Ladybug for a 5 mile hilly run today. It was nice out, 35° and sunny, but I felt totally sluggy for some reason. Tazzie rolled in something smelly, so when we got home she got a bath. Ick.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Maniac 505

not quite meth http://www.cranksports.com/ OK Enke, I will let you use gel if you are only drink water. Wink E-gel's are 150 calories and correspondingly bigger than most other brands. they claim to have more electrolytes than other brands, They are runnier then Gu. none of them have caffine I like the Vanilla Strawberry For my long runs I usually put two or three in a gu flask and add a little water (maybe a table spoon or two.)
                          evanflein

Boy it got late tonight. Spent the time I was originally planning on running shoveling snow in the driveway instead. 1.5 hours of that nonsense... then off to a soccer game (excellent game, btw), then shopping, then home to get dinner started, iron shirt for DS1 who went to the senior ball tonight... then down to the treadmill for 10 miles. 2 @ 8:50, 6 @ 8:34, 2 @ 8:20 (8:35 avg). Thank goodness for Solarmix3....