Masters Running

Saturday Runs and other dones (Read 44 times)

Hi folks!  These posts are really making me smile today.

Spun for an hour this morning, while watching a BBC show about the history of the Syrian conflicts.  Interesting stuff, and a lot I didn't know about.

Wore an orange top, celebrating my DH's Northern Irish heritage.  A couple of months ago he found his grandfather's marching sash in an old box he had of his dad's things.  Tomorrow we go fully green, with lamb and Guinness for dinner.. just to keep things ecumenical.

The foot feels much better today, but I'll keep resting it until early in the week and then try again.  At least the flare ups aren't lasting long any more.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Nice pic Dave, she has nice form, looks like a natural.

Yes orange Irish migrated from Scotland when William of Orange ruled thus because they followed him instead of the Pope they became known as orange Irish.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

sound like anyone you know (or are)?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Another PR!  Green beer!!!

I went out too fast so I probably could have finished faster if I had any self-control.  42:49 for 8k.  I'm so grateful! Here's my history with this distance, 8k/5 mi.:
          Super Summer 8k '02 1:01:24
          Super Summer 8k '03 54:48
          Run for Your Life 8k '06 55:38
          Super Summer 8k '10 47:03
          Frigid Five 5 mi. '11 43:24

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

That's an amazing progression, Opie.  Every reason to be proud of that.  And you left yourself room to improve the next time around.

I was trying to post a Calvin and Hobbes from my facebook (above) without any luck.  I thought i had done that successfully before Confused

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  I thought I'd jump in real quick before I have to get going again.

Well, there weren't as many people at this race as I thought there would be.  My friend took 4th overall in the 5k and ran a 20 something.  I think he said he had a PR but was disappointed that he didn't go under 20.  My 30:41 was good enough to take 1st overall in the 8K, so I guess I'll take it.  I wish I could have been closer to 30 but I'm not going to complain.

Anyway--that's it for me--it's time to go drink some more green beer!

sucker for bubbles

5 super ez miles with the Canadian....preparing for the 15k race tomorrow followed by 15k coolfrown.....next week is looking ominous for total miles.........and no beer tomorrow ....a dry Irishman?    Oui vey

Rondog65

I had a nice long run of 8.1 miles, efficient quality run with a modified route to mix it up a little, a few more hills.  Training is going well.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

OrangeMat

MM #6177

16 miles today, easy pace (9:54 avg), consistent splits, same old same old. Did have some blueberry pancakes for lunch afterward, so that was a nice change. Nothing Irish here for me except my red hair and green eyes (my dad was Polish, so the coloring is similar). Have a great weekend all!

Marathon Maniac #957

My 30:41 was good enough to take 1st overall in the 8K, so I guess I'll take it. 

Sweet!

Robin - you are running so well!

Dave - yes, I love that picture - priceless.  Smile

DH and I spent most of the morning and afternoon helping a friend move.  His house just sold and he had to put most of his stuff into a storage unit until his fiancee's house sells, so they can purchase one together.  There were 8 friends gathered to do this and we had a lot of fun, even with the work involved.  Good times.

6 easy-paced miles for me this morning, and 16 wimpy burpees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike, you were so worried about this race, then you get 1st O/A!!!  Maybe not the time you wanted, but dude.....

Deez, wow, happy times, I LOVE babies.  If they weren't so much work....would have loved to have more.

Opie, the rock star...

Rest day, I guess.  I would mow the lawn, but, it never really dries out enough/stops raining for me to do that.

Hey, I used to run part of this route last summer, but I never did the whole thing.  Anyway, I have always had this fantasy of hosting a Half Marathon out at my cottage.  Or cabin, as you say.  If you build it, they will come?

http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=510041

Someday I will do this.  Even if it is just me and I win first O/A, and DFL.  But it would be so much better with friends.  Smile

Thing is, this is completely do-able, so I have no excuse.  There is a big-enough park at the start/finish, with a lake to jump into.

Maybe I should just pick a date, and start pinning up flyers in the local towns around there!  Oh, and set a cap, maybe 100?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

congrats on your PR, Opie!

and congrats to the entire family of Baby Maria!! She is adorable and mom and dad look so proud (saw the pics on FB).

18 mile run today. I did take some walk breaks here and there, so I guess that is sort of like cheating. Roll eyes. But my running time was 2:52:45 with an average pace of 9:35. I was happy with my run and my last mile was my fastest at 9:12. I was so ready to be done!

DH went and got a pizza for dinner, and beer for me Wink, and then we are going to a movie later tonight - the new Oz one.

Tammy

evanflein

Enke, I'd love to run your half marathon with you! That sounds like a blast!

Nice improvement over time, Opie. It's nice to see that all your work is making a difference, right? Good job, today.

Mike, yeah, I don't know. You're such a slacker sometimes. I mean, 1st OA is only good for so much kudos, ya know? Geez dude, get over yourself! That's a great time and you had a great race! And your friend is very lucky to have come back so fast. I hope he doesn't overdo it...

Heme, so good to see you here! I haven't gone over to KR in quite some time. Think we'll ever get Johnny and ksrunr to come to RA?? I hope your foot settles down soon and this is a short-term setback.

Nice run, Tammy! I take walk breaks or stop to rest all the time so if you were cheating, I do it too!

Nice run for OM, too! What's your next marathon? You've got something scheduled before October, right?

9.4 miles for me today in really nice sunshine and wind from the East. That wind kinda sucked but it wasn't too bad. I probably should've done a couple more miles and made this "long run" territory, because tomorrow will be only in the mid-teens. But, I was done so stopped. It's hard enough making myself do "long runs" once a week when I don't have anything but a 5k in the near future (May 4). But, I'm just really wanting to get some endurance back, which seems like it's almost totally gone from my layoff since last fall. I know it'll be easier when it's less icy, too. Right now I'm wearing screw shoes and about a third of my run is really icy, about a third is dry pavement and a third is hard pack that can be slick or solid. The screw shoes on dry pavement are actually not a good combination because it feels like they throw my stride off a little. Whatever, I'll just be glad when I don't need 'em at all!