Masters Running

40's + Beyond ~ A Lot to be Thankful for !!! w/e 11/30 (Read 482 times)

Good Friday morning everyone.... Way to go Leslie.....that is a great pace. Sounds as though you had fun. Nice runs for Joe and Evryday yesterday as well. I got in a run myself. My sister ran the 10k Turkey Trot yesterday and kept up an 11 min. pace the entire 6 miles. She was so pleased with herself. Have a great day! Jewels
    But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

Nice race to jewels sis and Leslie. WTG on the pr Leslie!! how far did you end up running on warmup? Sounds like Joe is coming around quite nicely after the marathon, ya I want to see a BIG finish pic!! Ev your 6 milers are coming in like clockwork. Smile Carol and Cindy did you do your respective turkey trots? Arla how are the long runs going this week? Kelly the old joke is AT stands for can't telly which I certainly can not. I don't ski powder and crud very well so the backcountry thing I did last year with guides was certainly a challenge. I play around on x-country skis in our pasture. So what kind of ski classes do you do? Lynda and I did a 4 miler in Ft Collins. seems as we have also spread the infection to her BIL and 10 yr old niece as this is their 3rd race now. We ran into our friends from Imperial (next town over) during warmup. When I get nervous before a race seems like any liquid runs right thru me, only drank one half cup of coffee per usual but seems like on race day I p 3 times per cup. Used the port-os early then hit em again 15 min before the race, waited 5 mins and hadn't hardly moved so gave up and ran mywarm-up clothes to the car. They had 6 port'os for 3000 racers. Went by a Starbucks hmm, nope restrooms locked, another couple had the same idea, and just then a women came out of the womens so female half of couple went in then after it cleared stood guard as her husband and me used the facilities. So now its 2 minutes to race time and I am 3 blocks from the start lineup so sprint all the way up there and find Lynda mid pack. Thankfully the race was 2 min late so had time to catch my breath. Ok we are off sorta, takes 2 mins just to cross the chip mat and another half mile before I could actually run. I mean in the first 1/3 there were walkers in jeans, people with dogs and leashes tangled up, walkers 4-5 abreast, slow strollers, total chaos. So anyway just ran easy once I cleared the crowd, really cool course, gradual uphill first 2/3 then a gentle cruise the last third slight downhill to the finish. Picked it up in the last mile and managed a little sprint at the finish. My achilles were on fire but iced em and they seem ok today. I was 36 and change, garmin said 9:02 so considering lack of training and slow start I was very happy. Felt so good to race again. Lynda had a pretty good race also and it seems they had our bib # switched good for a laugh! Oh well, fun race, nice course, friendly volunteers, but could use some work in the organiztion dept for a 15 year old race. Had TG dinner then got home late last nite, need to get some work done........ later gators enjoy whats left of the holiday!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Howdy Doodie! Farmer Jim - Nice run. Re walkers, people w/dogs, strollers - I don't mean to be a witch, but I really wish they'd be given instructions to line up at the back of the pack. Even with only 413 runners yesterday, many walkers were right in front. One guy had his little girl (probably about 2 yo) right in front of me, and I nearly ran over the top of them as he was trying to get her to walk fast. Jewels - Nice job for your sis! Send her our congratulations. No working for me today, and the Hub didn't have to be at work 'til 10:00. So we actually slept in 'til 9:00. Boy howdy, but it felt good. Well, I'll have to finish up my transcription at some point this weekend, but no pressure. No kiddos in this household, so no Black Friday shopping. Actually, no Christmas shopping at all. Haven't in years. Once the nieces and nephews reached 18, they joined us merry band of adults and get a Christmas card and a phone call. However, since the whole fam damily will be here this years, we're each going to buy a present and do a round robin sort of exchange. I need to come up with a really good gag gift for something else I have in mind. I will, however, join the hordes looking for a tree today. Blush And then the decorating begins. So to get myself in the whole git 'er done mind set, I went out for a 3-mile run that was going to turn into a 4-mile run, then went on to be a 5-mile run since things were going so well. So 5.03 miles in 47:25 for a 9:26 av pace. Big grin My pace these days is making me pretty darn happy. Well - I'm done with my bagel and coffee, so off the get a tree. Later!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good morning/afternoon to everyone..... Went over to my sisters house yesterday afternoon and met up with my lil sis and mom. The 4 of us cranked up some Christmas music and decorated her tree. Drank a few, ate pizza and had a sleepover. Felt like crap this morning....took a couple of tylenols and did a very short run when I got home. Now it is off to shower and grocery store and whatever else I can get into. Kenny is in Daytona Beach at some Turkey Run car show. Youngest daughter went with him. Oldest daughter is STILL sleeping. WTH! How can someone sleep in so late? Later guys n' gals, Jewels
          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
            Hey folks.... Nice racing Jim and Lynda! Me and the DW went to evryothrday's girlfriend's foster grandparent's home last night. Every Friday after Thanksgiving they have a big shindig complete with a talent show. Everyone did some kind of skit or "talent". It was a real hoot! Several pieces of pie and pumpkin rolls later we came home and regretted the indulgence...tho not the fun time. "I shouldn't have had those last three pieces of pie." Dead Jim, check your clock a little bit later, I hope to get in a 6 miler. Wink Later, my friends.
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              Whooshemmama, nice paces for Leslie, Jim, Lynda and sis of Jewels! Sounds like everyone had good turkey days all the way around. I bailed on the Turkey Trot and "slept in" until about 7 am. Did battle with a butternut squash ('dem things is tough), and then took the Katy off for a run/walk/roll/hang by the creek 3 miles. Had the family over for the traditional turkey, dressing, etc. and then headed out w/ mom and Katy for another 3 miles...walking and talking this time, whilst the guys were glued to the football on TV. Our home improvements are still "in progress", so Friday, we went to a place called "The Dump" and did our part to stimulate the economy. No, my dumpster diving friends, it's not a real dump, but a store. We bought two area rugs, which I practically rode home as we crammed them in the car/through the trunk. Spent much of the remainder of Friday re-arranging furniture, cutting rug pads, and laying said rugs. Today is touch up/trim painting in the dining room and entry way. Guys coming to install crown molding next week, then painting the living room. Hope to have everything back together in time for Christmas. Heading out for another Katy run soon...I must wear her out!
              Progress Trumps Pefection
                The 4 of us cranked up some Christmas music and decorated her tree. Jewels
                That's what we like to do, too. Gotta have a little Elvis and Blue Christmas. < right="" knee="" going="" all="" around,="" the="" corner="" of="" my="" mouth="" cocked="" up,="" and="" a="" lock="" of="" hair="" down="" in="" my="" eyes="" while="" my="" dw="" shrieks="" /> "I'll huh have huh a huh blue Christmas wi hi hith out you." fatozzig....did you get a tree. Set your clock Jim.....6 miles for me at 10:30 pace. Beautiful midday run. Good runs to you all.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  Evryday - You never did tell us what "talent" you displayed at the foster grandparents' house. Come on. Give. Was it what sounds like might be a dead-on Elvis impersonation?? And yep, got a tree yesterday. Had to duct tape a couple of significant branches that had cracks in them, but hey - duct tapes da bomb. And we can decorate around it. Tonight will be the laying on of the lights. I'll have to zip the lip up tight and let The Hub bark orders at me until it's done. It's a tradition. Big grin Carol - 6 miles of running/walking/talking/dogging - it's all good! Good luck with the rest of the home repairs. Post some pics of the "before" and "after." Went out with Coach Bill and Charlie the Dog for my last "long" run before next weekend. I think Bill's calculations were wrong (which are the ones we followed) and mine were right, 'cause there's no way we were doing a sub 9-mile/hour pace. Maybe, with the all the downhill that was involved, but I don't know . . . With him along, I always feel empowered to push myself hard on the hills, so much less walking involved today. Although, it was helpful that we were only doing 8 miles. Wink Okay - off to finish some transcription. Later dudes and dudetts!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Well, being that it was our first time at the talent show, we were onlookers and not part of the entertainment. But we were invited back next year (don't know how that happened) and were told to have some "talent" ready. I must say I have a pretty good Elvis impression.....and I guess you could call it "dead-on" Wink Don't you have a 50K next weekend? Good luck. Carol, sounds like home improvements are coming along nicely. Whooshemmomma? Is that anything like, "Lauzee" ?
                      Whooshemmomma? Is that anything like, "Lauzee"?
                      We need to keep track of this humdingers. Not a 50k, but a 30k. Should be fun. Hopefully, I'll have family waiting for me at the end. That'll be nice! Just completed over 3 straight hours of transcribing. Time to grab a cocktail and begin unraveling the tree lights.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Whooshemmama
                        That ,my friends is a " Carolism " if I have ever seen one!! And a darn good one at that!! Nice races for Leslie, Jim ,Lynda and Sister of Jewels!! What a fast group! Evryday's probably watching his Sooners and Cowboys game. Which one do you root for? Website has an offer for race photo's, that's the free tiny ones so far. I hope to buy a couple of those that I like. Had a fabulous Thankgiving and have been busy the last two days over FIL's house. He lives a short distance away on the Shark River has a beautiful house up on a 60 foot high bluff with a ~30 degree incline. I have been clearing the cliff of brush, stickerbushes and medium size trees.Two days with a chainsaw, heavy boots, etc. Whew, and I thought a marathon was tough! Looking like rain for the morning so I'll hang up the saw and head for the trails again.That would be 4 runs since my race and absolutely none of it on a road! Yea!

flatland mountaineer

Wild couple of days, came home from colorado after TG dinner did a little work friday and watched the markets then bounced back to Ft Collins as Lynda's mom had hip replacement surgery yesterday ( saturday). Hung around there until she was pretty alert and feeling better. Another good reason to keep this run stuff up, not something I want to go through. I went to Home Depot while she was in surgery and got some storage options for a little home improvement on our 1930's farmhouse . I am proudest of our new shoe tower to hold our ever growing collection of run shoes. Big grin Anyway was 1:17 am when we got in the door last night so we slept in then went for a little recovery in my new Wave Riders. Wicked windy morning out there, maybe try it again if it would go down a little but doubtful as supposed to get gusts to 60 this aft. More unharvested corn will go down today and harvesting in this kind of weather is worse than running in it. Did I tell ya how glad I am to be done with harvest. Big grin

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

I hearing reports of nice Thanksgiving get-to-gathers. That's terrific! Joe, I was rooting for the OSU Cowboys, but it was not to be. The OU Sooners are a well oiled machine and it will take a mighty team to stop them. Texas did it several games back, but I believe OU is a better team at this point. Jim...it's big time windy here as well. 40 mph at least. 9 miles for me this afternoon. Now to settle in for more football watching.